Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
reply to mozerd

Re: An Anveo pricing question...

Thanks mozerd.

When you say "...and I reserve sufficient bandwidth...", how much bandwidth do you need to reserve per phone?

A $384.99 router!?!?

»www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Unified-Sec···01AZP6O4

Thanks,

rob.
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by RobThompson:

Thanks mozerd.

When you say "...and I reserve sufficient bandwidth...", how much bandwidth do you need to reserve per phone?

80 kbps per line would be enough.
said by RobThompson:

A $384.99 router!?!?

»www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Unified-Sec···01AZP6O4

Thanks,

rob.

That's NOT the same as a typical $100 home router. It can manage traffic better, allow different subnets, all sorts of goodies that a business would almost certainly demand. Something like that could really ensure great service for home VOIP, too, and if you consider the savings over a few months' of POTS bills it's not that expensive.

Still, not likely needed by 99% of home users.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to RobThompson
said by RobThompson:

I reserve 128/128 Kbps per phone .. So for 3 phones that's 384/384 Kbps .... My experience having done over 100 families is that 80/80 Kbps did not work well ...

In most cases where I've installed the gear the payback is inside 6 months so the money spent which also includes my fees is not an issue.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
How do I determine how much bandwidth I have - QoS screen on the Totato says: OutBound - 230 & InBound - 1000.

Does the router 'know' my bandwith & that's how it got these numbers?

Thanks,

Rob.
--
Rob.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
said by RobThompson:

How do I determine how much bandwidth I have - QoS screen on the Totato says: OutBound - 230 & InBound - 1000

I do not use 3rd part firmware so I cannot comment on your firmware.

Your ISP contract should indicate which plan your on and how much bandwidth is allocated within that plan.

You can test your bandwidth allocation by using speedtest.net and see the results of the test. If your ISP provides a peedbost technology that for short bursts increases your performance you need to take that out of the equation. It's best to contact your ISP and find out your metrics.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

zapattack

join:2012-07-02
CANADA
reply to RobThompson
If QoS is Enabled,then 230/1000 would be the maximum b/w passed through the router.
Typically, you would then allow an Exception or Service Priority, for use by VoIP (RTP/SIP) as an example.
This means anything over 230/1000 could still be accessed by those protocols exclusively.
Of course if your provider speed is 230/1000 then nothing is left for the exceptions anyway.

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
reply to mozerd
I have Bell Fibe: 15 Mbps Up, 10 Mbps Down & 75 GB usage.

Does that mean that I should change the 'default' values (if that is what they are) in the Tomato settings?

The Tomato gives amounts in kbit/s, Bell gives them in Mbps. So, does this mean that I have 15 x 1000 kbit/s Up from Bell?

Thanks,

Rob.
--
Rob.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
said by RobThompson:

I have Bell Fibe: 15 Mbps Up, 10 Mbps Down & 75 GB usage.

I suspect that Bell Fibe is 15Mbps down and 10 Mbps up .... make sure to confirm with Bell and insist on talking to someone at Bell who actually knows .... I am familiar with Bell but certainly not familiar with the plan you've outlined.

And once you've confirmed the metrics TEST is out using the speedtest.net address --- run the test a number of times each time chaging the location of the server .... pick servers in Toronto and New York .... that will give you a good indication of your metrics.

And Yes you should change the 'default' values.

so 15 Mbps converted into kilobits is 15 x 1024 = 15,360 Kbps
and 10 Mbps converted into kilobits is 10 x 1024 = 10,240 Kbps

Very Nice BTW assuming the speed tests confirm that.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

zapattack

join:2012-07-02
CANADA
reply to RobThompson
As mentioned by Mozerd, do several speed tests.
»speedtest.net/
Put a smaller number in the QoS values and Enable QoS.
Run the speed test again.
The difference can now be made exclusively available for your VoIP service by allowing the proper protocols.

The DD-WRT Service Priority options help file has this description:
Premium - The top bandwidth class. By default handshaking and icmp packets fall into this class. This class should be used sparingly. Occasionally VoIP service may be placed in this class so that voice receives top priority.
Express - The Express class is for interactive applications that require bandwidth above standard services so that interactive apps run smoothly.
Another forum contributor recommended the Express setting.
Tomato options may differ.