trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

1 edit

Burned out...

So I've had a Galaxy Nexus for some time now, before that I had a Droid Charge and before that I was an Apple iDevice user. Yeah, I know... don't laugh.

I've had my Galaxy Nexus for several months now. I have root. I've had the opportunity to do all kinds of things to my Galaxy Nexus. Different ROMs, kernels, tweaks, etc.

But recently for the vast majority of the things I do on my phone, I don't need root at all. Yes, root is a nice thing to have but for me I've recently discovered that I've been using it less and less as of late. Mainly I've had to use the root capabilities to fix something that shouldn't have been broken to begin with or tweak something that should've worked correctly from the beginning.

AOSP based ROMs are great, don't get me wrong but I guess that I've become like a lot of other people that have grown weary of constantly having to fix or tweak something and that they just want their device to work. I think I've finally reached that point in my Android life. Don't get me wrong, it was cool playing with different ROMs, tweaks, and kernels but I think I've reached the point where the cool factor has died off.

So a Galaxy S3 may very well be in my near future. I might not even root it at all.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Is it wrong of me to think this way?

Lone Wolf
Almost Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

said by trparky:

Is it wrong of me to think this way?

No.

For some people changing ROMS and Kernels is fun. For others there are Apps that won't work without an Unlocked Bootloader or Root. Still others like to Mod their Android devices and personalize them.

Rooting is surely not for everyone so you are not wrong!

And I wonder how many devices get bricked by users attempting to Root.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

1 edit

I used to be quite the crack-flasher with my Galaxy Nexus. I'd even go so far as to compile nightly versions of the latest AOKP source code on my own Linux box that I installed and configured. But recently, I've just lost the want to do that. I want dependability and stability. A complete 180 from what I was when I got my Galaxy Nexus.

What happened that I lost this want to do this sort of thing?
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Lone Wolf
Almost Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Apparently you learned a lot, had your fun and moved on. Nothing wrong with that.

Every time I reboot my Android I get a reminder that a new Nightly upgrade is available. I usually ignore the notifications unless there's something really new in the changelog.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Oh, I learned a lot, I learned a lot about things like CPU Governors and File System Schedulers. Always trying to eek out the extra ounce of performance.

But recently as of late, it's become quite the chore to do that.

Get a new OS, install it, try to remember what I did before as far as tweaks are concerned, re-apply them and hope that the old tweak doesn't break anything on the new OS version or kernel.

When you have to have a 30 step process to re-install your Android OS, that's where things get really complicated.
--
Tom

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
reply to trparky

Not at all...the actual need for root, imo, has decreased with the newer phones. The only reason I rooted my HTC Evo was for the hot spot feature, and root isn't even needed for that now.

Unless you just can't stand the UI or have a need that most don't, there really isn't as much a need. Also, as you mentioned, which I've said before, it's just not worth the hassle imo, and haven't missed it at all on my Samsung GS3.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

MagicalPig

join:2008-07-25
reply to trparky

I rooted my GNEX but have kept the stock rom on it. Right now I have no plans on flashing anything. I just do not have a need. But I still want root for the flexibility of root only apps for maint,backup etc. And some times it's just fun to play with.

asphire23
You Make My Heart Skip A Beat
Premium
join:2002-07-17
Covina, CA
reply to trparky

I was at the same stage at you, believe it or not. I did my fair and share of "hacking" the GNex. That is until I got the Nexus4. This beautiful beast doesn't need a custom ROM. I do kept it rooted though for TB and Adfree.

Before you run off to Galaxy S series, please please try the Nexus4 first. You won't regret it.
--
"There is no patch for stupidity" -Mitnick

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

I'd love to get a Nexus 4, that is... if I could get my hands on one!

They're constantly sold out and the moment they do go on sale again they're sold out within a day or so and even if you do get an order in that doesn't at all guarantee that you're going to get the phone in a timely manner. When it comes to the Google Nexus 4, Google really failed.
--
Tom

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

1 edit

It's the manufacturing problems of the Nexus 4 that's been causing the shortages. Everything I've been reading has pointed to the fact that LG hasn't been able to produce enough of the phones fast enough. Also, there have been things that I've been reading about the Nexus 4 that points to possible manufacturing issues that have also causes stock shortages.

Not only that but because the Nexus 4 is very similar to that of the LG Optimus, some say that LG has been favoring that instead of making the Nexus 4. Should've gone with Samsung again, at least then they wouldn't be sitting there with no phones to sell. Samsung's manufacturing capacity is much much larger than LG.

All in all, I think Google failed with the Nexus 4. They failed in the sense that they chose the wrong manufacturer to make the Nexus 4 and because of that manufacturing choice, we the people who want the phone are suffering from the decision.
--
Tom

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

There's some rumors that Google will be introducing another Nexus phone at the Mobile World Congress or something like that. That's great at and, but you know it's going to be stuck in FCC limbo for months until it gets approved for usage in the US.
--
Tom

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Personally speaking, I'm done with this phone. Not only is it showing that it's getting long in the tooth when it comes to hardware, but I barely have coverage with the phone. Things that were once very fast on the phone are now slower than ever, the only thing that I can think of is that the hardware isn't up to the task anymore.

When my contract is up with Verizon, I'm done with them. If I could kick Verizon to the curb faster, I would. Enough is enough, having next to no coverage in my area is garbage. Even standing outside in my back yard, my phone registers only one bar and -105 dBm. That's almost useless as a signal and the phone shows it in the sense that I could have the phone sitting there doing nothing but sit in my pocket for 45 minutes and the battery is down 8%. That tells me that the phone's signal amplifiers and DSPs are running at the highest it can run at, draining the battery.

It wasn't always like that, Verizon used to be much better in this area. It's just recently that service has turned for the worst. Don't know what happened. Maybe new trees? New buildings? I don't know.
--
Tom

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to trparky

been there done it. you're not wrong for thinking it. I've been back and forth between android and IOS more than a few times, and realized that I'm in love with both worlds lol I was totally into the customizations, roms, etc but now, I have only rooted my s3 and have a few widgets installed for my custom look, that's it. my tablet had a custom rom only to get jellybean installed.

Back in the day you almost had to root your phone to get it to run good by removing bloatware, but now it seems you dont really have to do that. Only thing I can see now is maybe to get in the phone to enable hotspot. I realized once I rooted my s3 there wasn't really anything that needed to be removed.
--
| map your city |

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to asphire23

said by asphire23:

I was at the same stage at you, believe it or not. I did my fair and share of "hacking" the GNex. That is until I got the Nexus4. This beautiful beast doesn't need a custom ROM. I do kept it rooted though for TB and Adfree.

What does the hardware have to do with the software? The main reason most people unlock the bootloader and root is to run a custom ROM. You're saying you did so on the Galaxy Nexus because of its hardware? I can think of one thing for sure that would make sense - the crappy screen on the gnex and using a custom ROM to tweak the color multipliers, color gamma and gamma curve. But otherwise, I'm not sure there is anything else a custom ROM gives me that stock does not regarding the hardware? Perhaps a more optimal kernel I suppose.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to trparky

said by trparky:

Personally speaking, I'm done with this phone. Not only is it showing that it's getting long in the tooth when it comes to hardware, but I barely have coverage with the phone. Things that were once very fast on the phone are now slower than ever, the only thing that I can think of is that the hardware isn't up to the task anymore.

When my contract is up with Verizon, I'm done with them. If I could kick Verizon to the curb faster, I would. Enough is enough, having next to no coverage in my area is garbage. Even standing outside in my back yard, my phone registers only one bar and -105 dBm. That's almost useless as a signal and the phone shows it in the sense that I could have the phone sitting there doing nothing but sit in my pocket for 45 minutes and the battery is down 8%. That tells me that the phone's signal amplifiers and DSPs are running at the highest it can run at, draining the battery.

It wasn't always like that, Verizon used to be much better in this area. It's just recently that service has turned for the worst. Don't know what happened. Maybe new trees? New buildings? I don't know.

You know, I've noticed the same as of late. It's almost like the JB radios and/or JB (and JB mr1) are WORSE now. There are places where I used to never report any signal loss, and now I'm looking in the battery stats to see "time without signal - 12%" after a day at work. WTH? I love this phone, and it's still running great for me otherwise. But yeah, the signal is utter crap.

Unfortunately, since Verizon (probably purposely) borked the Nexus release and it's their red-headed stepchild, we'll probably never see another Nexus on Verizon. So my only hope will be that the SGS4's bootloader gets unlocked and it gets some AOSP love. Because after having AOSP (on my dinc and now legitimately on the Nexus), I simply cannot go back to a skinned Android (especially Sense or Touchwiz. Blur is at least more close in appearance to AOSP).
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates