join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

PAR38 lens separation

Is lens separation common? Outside of the bulb filament, how long should a PAR38 last if it's only used occasionally?

This morning I found the shattered glass lens of a PAR38 on the rocks under the fixture, which is mounted under the soffit about 12' above. The bulb filament & reflector are intact. However the gray adhesive that affixed the lens to the reflector was flaking off.

These bulbs are used an average of roughly 2 hours a week, often for five or ten minutes at a time ... so maybe 100 hours a year. I've never seen one fail like this before.

It's a 100W Sylvania halogen and I have no idea how old it is. The bulb was on last night from about 7:30 to 9:30. This morning it was an unseasonable 49 F at 6 AM, so it actually warmed up overnight.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

1 edit

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to ArgMeMatey

I've had it happen before. They don't make them like they used to.
I finally decided just to spend the extra dough on the long life GE lamps.
Halogen PAR38 lamps greater than 40W are on the "bulb ban" list, so finding a suitable replacement will soon be a bigger issue. There is a very limited choice of PAR38 LED lamps suitable for outdoor use. And the prices are very high.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by nunya:

There is a very limited choice of PAR38 LED lamps suitable for outdoor use. And the prices are very high.

I have eight of these in various fixtures and I'm guessing I have bought two six-packs of these bulbs in the past ten years.

I've seen the LED prices and this is a textbook case of where that investment is not cost-effective ... 100 hours a year on these four bulbs ... 400 watts ... somewhere around $6 per year.

Is the soffit a "damp" location? I see Toshiba LEDs online for $44 each. So I'd spend $350 on these to drop my operating cost to $1.20 per year. 70-year payback. I'm not sure my heirs would think that was a good investment.

Don't even get me started on the 500-watt lamp for my back yard that I use for maybe 10 hours a year.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb
Expand your moderator at work

FL no lens

@mycingular.net
reply to ArgMeMatey

Re: PAR38 lens separation

Both 150W floods on my garage lost their lenses years ago. The mirror coating is mostly gone from the lowest part of the reflector but they still work fine otherwise.

@ anyone: What does a post that only has a period mean? Just curious.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI

1 edit

said by FL no lens :

It means he wrote something earlier and then returned and removed it.

FL no lens

@mycingular.net

said by ArgMeMatey:

said by FL no lens :

Both 150W floods on my garage lost their lenses years ago. The mirror coating is mostly gone from the lowest part of the reflector but they still work fine otherwise.

It means he wrote something earlier and then returned and removed it.

Ahhh, I guess Mr. Obvious should have paid me a visit! LOL Kind of a strange thing to do though.

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

ArgMeMatey See Profile answered your question but the editorializing, I will clear up....

When an author decides that their post is either off-topic and/or no longer useful, there is nothing "strange" about the author removing it within the time-frame set forth by the forum administrators. If the forum admin team allowed members to delete their posts, the post with a period wouldn't be around.

Now, back to the topic at hand.....
--
Zach