Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS
reply to batsona

Re: Dashboard Blackout!

HELP!!!!!!!!!! I"ve got everything taken apart as we speak (2PM Sat, eastern). There are two wires coming from the neg terminal, a thicker one and a thinner one. The thinnest grounds to the chassis, and I can see it / access it no problem. The other thicker wire disapears into a bundle that's about 1.5 inches across, and goes down the side of the radiator. A small bit of it branches off, and runs under the radiator to the other side of the engine compartment.

I do'nt hav a lift, and this is really hard to trace... Does anyone else with experience with this model-year vehicle, know where the thickest ground wire terminates? Tell me, so I can go find it & make sure its tight. (while i have it all taken apart) (battery out, battery tray out...)

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

I believe it breaks out the harness in one of two places, depending on the engine/trans combo. First would be on a stud where the engine and transmission bolt together, and the second is directly to the side of the engine in the area of the starter. It's the only big cable you are going to see like that, so it should be obvious.

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

OP Here: Mattmag, bingo! At the last min, before I was going to give up and button everything back up, I found the thick black wire bolted to a stud where the engine & transmission join. SO... Here's what I just completed:

1.) Remove battery, clean, clean posts
2.) Remove battery tray & clean (required for cable-trace)
3.) Removed & cleaned smaller neg cable, bolted to chassis below battery tray
4.) For the heck of it, removed large red cable from alternator & cleaned.
5.) Removed & cleaned large negative cable bolted between engine & trans
6.) Removed & reseated every relay in the fuse panel
7.) Switched Starter Relay with Frnt wiper relay (same p/n)
8.) Switched Fuel Pump relay with rear blower relay (same p/n)

We'll see what happens.....