dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to chachazz

MVM

to chachazz

Re: All versions of the Java plugin are blocked

Thank you for the links and the explanation.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

Is Firefox phoning home to Mozilla all the time like Chrome does with Google? From that explanation that's not definitely answered. I mean how else are they able to control the Click to Play feature and determine what's 'bad' for us to run.
Reimer
join:2006-08-14
Toronto, ON

Reimer

Of course it does and for various reasons.

Firefox updates
Extension updates
Plugin block list
Safebrowsing block lists
etc
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20

Premium Member

Who allows update checking? First thing I disable in any browser. Who allows automatic Extension updates? Second thing I disable in all browsers. Safebrowsing block lists I have NEVER used and NEVER will because I will not allow tracking of my use of my browser. Screw that!

The Plugin blocklist...I was really pissed at Mozilla when they first decided to be my mommy and my daddy but I was using an extremely old version of Java so I just used Java on IE ...screw Mozilla! But now, I have a new computer, latest Java version and I have set the security slider at "high" so I am fully protected and I don't need Mozilla meddling. Their "protection" is EXACTLY THE SAME as what is now built into Java itself. So, Mozilla is revealing loud and clear their hypocrisy and REAL REASON for blocking. It is so they can spy on their users...just as they try to do in the other ways that I have never allowed. Unfortunately, I need Java. I guess since SeaMonkey appears to care more about users privacy than does Mozilla I'll have to disable Java on Fx once I upgrade to the latest ESR version (Mozilla didn't block Java on the current 10.0.12 ESR version) and use Java on SM, Opera and IE. SCREW Mozilla for meddling and spying.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Who allows update checking? First thing I disable in any browser. Who allows automatic Extension updates? Second thing I disable in all browsers. Safebrowsing block lists I have NEVER used and NEVER will because I will not allow tracking of my use of my browser. Screw that!

The Plugin blocklist...I was really pissed at Mozilla when they first decided to be my mommy and my daddy but I was using an extremely old version of Java so I just used Java on IE ...screw Mozilla! But now, I have a new computer, latest Java version and I have set the security slider at "high" so I am fully protected and I don't need Mozilla meddling. Their "protection" is EXACTLY THE SAME as what is now built into Java itself. So, Mozilla is revealing loud and clear their hypocrisy and REAL REASON for blocking. It is so they can spy on their users...just as they try to do in the other ways that I have never allowed. Unfortunately, I need Java. I guess since SeaMonkey appears to care more about users privacy than does Mozilla I'll have to disable Java on Fx once I upgrade to the latest ESR version (Mozilla didn't block Java on the current 10.0.12 ESR version) and use Java on SM, Opera and IE. SCREW Mozilla for meddling and spying.

So i guess you should be saying the same thing about IE,Opera because they are doing the same thing as Firefox when it come to Java?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

What same thing are they doing? SeaMonkey, Opera and IE 10 are not keeping me from using Java. Oracle is giving me more security with that slider that is in the latest Java version that I see no one mention anywhere in the forums here. But I don't see any browser maker except Mozilla, and then for Fx only not for SM, blocking use of Java.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to kickass69

Mod

to kickass69
said by kickass69:

Is Firefox phoning home to Mozilla all the time like Chrome does with Google? From that explanation that's not definitely answered. I mean how else are they able to control the Click to Play feature and determine what's 'bad' for us to run.

Yesterday, I visited a site that uses java, with firefox 18.

Nothing was blocked - java worked as normal.

That is probably because when I install firefox, I uncheck the "install maintenance service" option.

I think the answer is that, by default, firefox phones home. But you can prevent that by unchecking the "maintenance service" when installing.