spc
Search similar:

uniqs
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs

Only Secure Web Sites on Wimax

Some months ago I was having a problem on my Millenicom BYOD Sprint account on the Clearwire Wimax network, with most sites failing DNS lookups. Dib22 suggested I install Acrylic and use a different DNS server with port 5353. Since Sprint intercepts DNS lookups now on their Wimax service, he also recommended that I verify that I was hitting another DNS server by running the GRC web page DNS Spoofability test, which I did successfully (I picked the two Open DNS servers).

Some weeks after I did that, the problem returned, even on the Open DNS servers, so I gave up, figuring I had misdiagnosed the problem. Some weeks after that, the problem disappeared, apparently because the network problem had FINALLY been fixed, whatever it was.

This morning I'm having a similar but different problem. I can load no sites but those with the secure https protocol. I can sometimes fool the connection by changing the protocol to https even for non-secure sites, but it's still a rather flaky hit-and-miss thing. And, like the problem I had last year, it is immediately resolved by disconnecting and reconnecting, only to eventually return an hour or so later.

Now when I had the original problem, dib 22 had first asked me to check to see whether there was a correlation between secure sites being reachable and insecure sites not being reachable. I did and, at that time, there was no correlation; now, clearly, there is.

Under the circumstances, I'm going to switch my Acrylic back on later today, and start using the Open DNS servers on 5353 to see whether the problem goes away.

In the meantime however, I was wondering if any of you are experiencing similar problems with any of your Wimax connections. Since this problem involves all three entities, Clearwire, Millenicom and Sprint customers, I'm taking the liberty of posting this to all three fora. Hope that's okay and thanks!

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

If I didn't know better I would suspect a Firewall or Proxy issue.
I have Clear 4G and no such issues.
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

Would that necessarily explain why the problem appears to hit once or twice a month? Wouldn't it be constant?

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

One would think.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to criggs

to criggs
Since secure is working Im guessing cache engines are acting up (again).

How long did it take to clear up? Is it still happening?

Remember next time it happens you can always VPN yourself out of their network
criggs
New York, NY

criggs

No, it didn't happen again. I didn't get around to switching the Acrylic back on again, though if it had happened again I probably would have.

I'm not quite ready to pay for a VPN yet (I have no idea how expensive that would be, for one thing). If it becomes persistent and uncorrected, I think I'll give the Acrylic another chance before going to a VPN. Since the symptom manifestations are different from last time (when I wasn't able to pull up even secure sites), I'm figuring there's a chance that Open DNS through Acrylic might have worked; so I'll exhaust that possibility before giving up and going to VPN.

Thanks again for being around offering help; much appreciated!