Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

Thoughts on SSD for HP Elitebook?

I have an HP Elitebook 8440p. I'm going to be installing Windows 7-64bit shortly (to replace the 32-bit I have on here), and since I'm doing that, I thought it might be a good idea to look into an SSD drive to replace the drive in here.

I hear Intel is the best, Samsung next. I'm looking for about 160GB. I don't need much space here; all photos and music are on a dedicated desktop machine. I am looking for reliability and will pay for it.

Any specific recommendations?

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

rusdi

MVM

I would recommend one, (SSD).

Those both are great drives, but please consider looking at others as well.

I have used Intel, and Mushkin. The Mushkin drive has been performing flawlessly for over a year, (in my desktop). Seems to be a VERY reliable drive, for less $$. The Intel drive also has been going, (in my sons desktop) for even longer, and still performing great!

Do a little research, and READ the owners reviews of a few SSDs, and make your choice.
Good luck!

Jeff
Premium Member
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

Thanks for the input!

kw0
Premium Member
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH

kw0 to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
Intel SSD's are the Lexus of solid-state drives. There's little to no reason to go with an Intel unless you simply want to pay more.

Jeff
Premium Member
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

said by kw0:

Intel SSD's are the Lexus of solid-state drives. There's little to no reason to go with an Intel unless you simply want to pay more.

Okeydokey, I'll check out some other brands then. Thanks!

kw0
Premium Member
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH

kw0

Premium Member

FWIW: Ebay has a deal on a 240GB drive today.

»www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-San ··· =1225267

Sandisk Extreme drives are good, as are Crucial M4's. There's other good manufacturers out there.
Indy Sabre
Sabre Rider From Indianapolis
join:2003-10-02

Indy Sabre to Jeff

to Jeff
I have a Sandisk Extreme 128GB that i put in an HP Elite book 6930P 4 months ago, it runs fast and has been very reliable

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to kw0

Anon

to kw0
said by kw0:

Look at the customer reviews. I almost 'saved money' on one and then I read the reviews. Decided to go with the Intel 335 model for $199. This will be for a WIn 7 64-bit install on my editing workstation.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to kw0

Premium Member

to kw0
said by kw0:

uh huh
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
In my opinion, the only two drives that are worth premiums are the new OCZ Vectors and the Intel 520 series (both just over $1/GB). The Samsung 840 Pro series is almost as good as these, as is the Corsair Neutron GTX.

Everything else is a variance of everything else, and fairly similar. You will have some people who swear by Samsung's, others who swear by Vertexes, and still others who swear by SanDisk or

In the same vein, the only drives you absolutely want to avoid are the OCZ Agility series.

With a little bit of research, you will notice that everyone has their mainstream models (Intel 330/335, Samsung 830, OCZ Vertex, Corsair Neutron) and then their top-end models with higher performance and capacities (Intel 520, Samsung 840 Pro, OCZ Vector, Corsair Neutron GTX, etc.).

If you are looking for the best, go for a higher-end model.

Jeff
Premium Member
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

In my opinion, the only two drives that are worth premiums are the new OCZ Vectors and the Intel 520 series (both just over $1/GB). The Samsung 840 Pro series is almost as good as these, as is the Corsair Neutron GTX.

Thank you, that helps me out quite a bit.
said by Krisnatharok:

In the same vein, the only drives you absolutely want to avoid are the OCZ Agility series.

Thanks, I will look into why I should avoid these, but I appreciate this info.
said by Krisnatharok:

With a little bit of research, you will notice that everyone has their mainstream models (Intel 330/335, Samsung 830, OCZ Vertex, Corsair Neutron) and then their top-end models with higher performance and capacities (Intel 520, Samsung 840 Pro, OCZ Vector, Corsair Neutron GTX, etc.).

I definitely don't need or want the best, I just don't want junk. (I'm looking to avoid an RMA in 9 months, followed by a reinstallation of Win7.) This is a moderately used laptop that I use for "working" - very little photos or music on this. May be an old-school game or two (i.e. Railroad Tycoon 3), but other than that I don't need high performance or a large storage capacity.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
Out of the "normal" SSDs I've dealt with (I'm skipping netbook mSATA/proprietary ones for now), most of them have been pretty good. I've dealt with three OCZ (Vertex 3, Agility 3, Octane), two Intel (320, 330), one Samsung (830), seven Crucial (all M4s), and one Mushkin (Chronos). The Vertex 3 was fine after a firmware update, and the Mushkin was DOA (and its replacement doesn't seem to like cold temperatures).

Most of those were within the last few months, except for the Intel 320 (November 2011) and the Vertex 3 (March 2011).

For your stated needs, a non-cutting-edge drive should be good. Not only will it have been proven with time, but they can be quite a bit cheaper than the latest drives in the capacity you're looking for.
xrobertcmx
Premium Member
join:2001-06-18
White Plains, MD

xrobertcmx to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
I picked up the Corsair M4 256GB in Aug/Sep and have not had a minutes worry. I have a year old 64GB M4 that was a gift, runs Win7 on my desktop.
Samsung 128GB in my linux server, no issues.
I can easily recommend either brand. Intel seems a bit to expensive still.