Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nick1996

join:2012-06-04
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

[AB] ZyXEL VSG-1432

First of all, a few months ago I temporarily had Turbo 25 at a secondary location. I told Telus I had the ZyXEL modem and didn't need the Actiontec provided. I had the Actiontec before, and I really hate it. The stock Telus firmware is useless (extremely buggy and unstable). I noticed that the ZyXEL's Telus firmware is also really bad, but a lot better than the Actiontec. If I remember correctly, it even had working UPnP! I'm not sure why Telus doesn't give out the ZyXEL modem with Turbo 25 because it works great, but whatever.

I have the SpeedTouch ST516v6 at home with a Linksys e3200. I love my setup, but I realize that sooner or later Telus will stop supporting the ST516v6 all together (either via a VDSL2 upgrade, or another reason) and I will be forced to use the ZyXEL. Is there an alternative firmware that is more functional than stock? I don't mind not having gigabit ethernet because all of my devices connect to an external gigabit ethernet switch before the modem anyway.

I have also been planning on phoning Teksavvy because Telus's new transfer caps aren't going to be high enough for me. I'm on HS Turbo and Turbo 25 isn't available in my area yet.

Mike_Luchia

join:2013-01-03
Turner Valley, AB

1 edit
The ZyXEL can be setup in Bridge Mode and then you can use whatever router you like. I just finished doing this.

Mike

Nick1996

Edmonton, AB
Well that's a bit useful. Thanks for the response!

I'm still very interested in an alternative firmware like the one available for the Actiontec V1000h.

Ternerito

join:2002-08-31
GVA
Even with the stock firmware, by logging into the modem as tech or root, some 'advanced' should become accessible.

Nick1996

Edmonton, AB
Already aware of that, and checked out the features before I made this topic, but I want a firmware that is more stable. The web interface crashes often when on certain settings pages.

zorn

@telus.net
Have you tried a different browser? I notice that my Firefox doesn't play nice with the V1000H web interface. But Opera works great with it.

Nick1996

Edmonton, AB
reply to Nick1996
I've tried a few different browsers, but not Opera. I don't really care if that is a workaround for it. The fact that Telus puts out firmware that is this buggy would make me switch to Teksavvy in a heartbeat if I'm forced to use their all-in-one because of an update from ADSL2+ to VDSL2. Telus's firmware is completely unacceptable. The only reason I'm still on Telus is because my ST516v6 is still functional and overall I'm happy with their service, just not their all-in-ones.