Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Spy agency ASIO wants powers to hack into personal computers

quote:
SPY agency ASIO wants to hack into Australians' personal computers and commandeer their smartphones to transmit viruses to terrorists.
»www.news.com.au/technology/spy-a···52661701

Yeah, I'm sure ASIO wouldn't grab personal info or anything while they're at it

quote:
But the Attorney-General's Department insists that ASIO will not examine the content of third-party computers.

See. You can trust them. They're from the gummint!
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia

And from the other side of that coin perhaps they are a little frustrated at their inability to do their job effectively.
»www.theage.com.au/it-pro/governm···1iy.html

If you have trouble getting USABLE evidence does it naturally lean to mass spying?
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

ashrc4
Premium
australia
reply to StuartMW

The FBI has been lobbying technology companies such as Skype and Google - and other companies that provide online phone calls, instant messaging and email - to rewrite their codes to become more wiretap-friendly.

perhaps.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to StuartMW

First they wanted to filter, then they wanted to extend data storage, and even then ASIO were part of that commission, so it does not surprize me that this would happen.

With the recent European Nations attempt at Internet control, the US, England, China, other and plenty of others wanting to take ownership, then why wouldn't a security service of a convict nation have a stab at it too.

I can't see this back n forth tug at a hold on the Internet to end any time soon, everyone wants to have claws in it's flesh.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Joey1973

@verizon.net
reply to StuartMW

"We have met the enemy... and he is us."

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to ashrc4

said by ashrc4:

perhaps.

I don't think there's much doubt

quote:
The FBI has been lobbying top internet companies like Yahoo and Google to support a proposal that would force them to provide backdoors for government surveillance, according to CNET

FBI Wants Backdoors in Facebook, Skype and Instant Messaging

BTW I'm sure those in Australia, and elsewhere, will be subject to this as well. The internet doesn't stop at country boundaries.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to norwegian

said by norwegian:

... convict nation...

Well it has been a while since Australia was that
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to StuartMW

Oh look a nation's letter agency wanting back doors into computers of the citizens computers so they can do dirty deeds dirt cheap.

Why am I not at all surprised or shocked.

in this case though its an FLA(Four Letter Agency) instead of our TLAs here in the US.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Dirty Deeds Done Dirty Cheap
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

That is a good song.

And it takes Big Balls to challenge these letter agencies.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

said by norwegian:

... convict nation...

We would hope we have grown beyond that point but sometimes the powers to be create rules as if we were still there and the population are all crooks.

ashrc4
Premium
australia

said by norwegian:

said by StuartMW:

said by norwegian:

... convict nation...

We would hope we have grown beyond that point but sometimes the powers to be create rules as if we were still there and the population are all crooks.

It sure seems that way although most of the special powers have been to created of late tend to target Bikie gangs and loosely framed at terrorists.

That convict thing about a boat and it's occupants reminds me of another ACDC song?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=msmzXBLVJEg

--