spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

toofloated

join:2013-01-12

Need some Tech help with my Uverse

I was getting horrible wifi from it, and really didn't want to pay ATT $200 to move it over one room, so i decided to move it myself, i bought about 3 bundles of CAT5e and some connectors to just jimmy rig it and run wires. Now i can't get the main box that has the DVR in it to work, no do i have access to my recordings or anything. I'm thinking that maybe they used a more heavy duty cable from the box that holds the DVR, to the main router. If that's true is there someway i can buy about 50 feet of that somewhere.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

Did you terminate the cable yourself? Did you use RJ45 (8P8C) plugs?

DiY cabling isn't difficult when terminating keystone (RJ45/8P8C) wall jacks; I wired my old house that way. But I use prefab patch cables from the wall jacks to the equipment because I am too cheap to spring for quality a crimping tool for just a couple of patch cables.

You should also pay attention to the pinout; make sure you either use all T568A, or all T568B.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

toofloated

ummmm...i have no idea what any of that means to be honest. I just wanted to move my Uverse box over one room so just bought some of these (»tinyurl.com/aypb33u) and some cat5e adapters, and i can't get the main unit that has the DVR to actually work it keeps saying "client initialization error"

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

Do you have a link for the adapters you used? It sounds like you may have used more than one of the cables you linked to. If that's the case, the adapter (coupler) you used to connect the cables together could be the problem.

toofloated

»www.ebay.com/itm/320919810080?ss···39.l2649 those are the adapters i used, and they work for one tv that is hardwired to the box just not the main one, i think the one connected from the main DVR box to the router has a stronger type of ethernet cable

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

There is no "stronger" Catv5e cable. There is a distance limitation, but most people wouldn't exceed it in the average home; I think. Without a device like a switch, the maximum distance of run is ~330 feet.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

toofloated

the original wire that ran from the main box to my router has this writing on it "AWM 2835 24AWG 4PRS 60 degrees C 30v E312705 CAT5E UTP TIA/EIA-568B 2 All Systems Broadband UVA" I'm not sure if any of that sets it apart from normal ones, I just tried unplugging this one and continuing the cable i had to it in hopes that it may work.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

Do the lights on the router light up when the cable's plugged in? If not, they may of sent you the wrong coupler. Couplers for phone wiring will NOT work as they "mirror" the wires (pin 1 becomes pin 8, pin 2 becomes 7, etc).

/M

toofloated

no the coupler works with the other system, i can try to swap them out and try one of the others

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to toofloated

Honestly, considering you really don't understand what you're doing, as far as cabling, adapters, couplers, etc... you probably shouldn't try to move your gateway. It's just a recipe for disaster.

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

Do you know if the phone wires in your house are CAT3 or CAT5 and are they home ran? When the U-Verse was installed was there a new line ran for the RG? If now you need to do one of two things
1 Run a new CAT5 line from the NID to the location you want to move your DVR.

2 Find out what color pairs the lines are ran on. If the line is running on green white on one end it needs to be on green white on the other end, that's how phone lines have always worked.

If this sounds foreign then you may have to swallow the pill and pay AT&T to come and run new lines. You are still paying for the service despite it not working and AT&T will NOT credit your account for days the service has been down due to the fact you unhooked the equipment. FYI