uniqs
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

4 recommendations

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Reddit co-founder Aaron Swartz found dead.

Authorities say a co-founder of Reddit and computer activist who fought to make online content free to the public has been found dead....

Swartz, co-founder of the non-profit political action group Demand Progress, was a prodigy who as a young teenager helped create RSS. He co-founded the social news website Reddit, and directed the political action group Demand Progress that campaigns against Internet censorship.

In 2011, he was arrested in Boston and charged with stealing millions of scientific journals from a computer archive at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Swartz pleaded not guilty. His federal trial on computer fraud charges was to begin next month....

»www.cbsnews.com/8301-205 ··· nd-dead/

RIP Aaron.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

... Swartz pleaded not guilty. His federal trial on computer fraud charges was to begin next month....

»www.cbsnews.com/8301-205 ··· nd-dead/...

Well, he is alleged to have hacked the MIT computer and copied the journals with intent to give copies of them away - which, to me, seems more like hacking and "copyright violation" rather than outright "stealing". Stealing is usually associated with taking/carrying-away something that's not yours without permission and thereby depriving its rightful owner of it. To my knowledge, he was never alleged to have erased or otherwise removed the journals from the system.

In any case, it's always sad to see things end like this for somebody...

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

2 recommendations

DownTheShore to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Only 26 years old - very sad.
Just Bob
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Spring Hill, FL

1 recommendation

Just Bob to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Watch this to learn more:

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· 2dFngFsg

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
RIP Aaron

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

2 recommendations

La Luna to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Apparently he had suffered from depression for a long time. So sad he didn't get the help he needed.
Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob

Premium Member

Please don't dismiss his death so lightly. Watch the video I posted and try to understand what we've lost.
Just Bob

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Statement from his family:
»talkingpointsmemo.com/ar ··· ef=fpblg

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna to Just Bob

Premium Member

to Just Bob
said by Just Bob:

Please don't dismiss his death so lightly. Watch the video I posted and try to understand what we've lost.

I'm not dismissing his death lightly, where did you get that from? I was just adding another bit of info to the conversation.
Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
»now.msn.com/aaron-swartz ··· -suicide
Professor slams prosecutors for helping drive Aaron Swartz to suicide

A Harvard professor and friend of Aaron Swartz says prosecutors should feel shame for their role in driving a "kid genius" to suicide. In an angry, grief-stricken Tumblr post, activist and legal scholar Lawrence Lessig condemned "the absurdity of the prosecutor’s behavior" in hounding Swartz for the alleged theft of online academic articles, even though the articles' owner, JSTOR, declined to pursue the case. Lessig also wrote that any prosecutor who thought Swartz’s treatment was appropriate "is either an idiot or a liar," adding that the government had pursued the open-source activist "as if it had caught the 9/11 terrorists red-handed."
Lessig's full article here:
»lessig.tumblr.com/post/4 ··· as-bully

This is why I reacted so strongly above:
Please don’t pathologize this story.

No doubt it is a certain crazy that brings a person as loved as Aaron was loved (and he was surrounded in NY by people who loved him) to do what Aaron did. It angers me that he did what he did. But if we’re going to learn from this, we can’t let slide what brought him here.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna

Premium Member

I've no doubt the prosecution probably pushed him over the edge, and yes, the prosecutor is to blame for that. But it appears that he had issues long before that started.

I don't want to get into a debate over what caused him to do what he did, that is something we will probably never know.
Marsman
join:2004-11-10
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Marsman to Just Bob

to Just Bob
An unfortunate sad loss for all of us, thx PX E & JB!
Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
There's something about this that deeply offends me. It frustrates me that I lack the articulation to put it into words. That I have to live in a society that would hound such a man to suicide leaves me with some very strong feelings.
Just Bob

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
This is from 2002:
»www.aaronsw.com/2002/continuity
Just Bob

1 recommendation

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Something very twisted...
US Attorney Carmen Ortiz may run for Massachusetts governor.

»www.bostonglobe.com/metr ··· ory.html

»allthingsd.com/20130112/ ··· suicide/

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

3 recommendations

signmeuptoo94 to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Speaking as a bipolar person who has been treated like shit because of it, I can tell you, people readily exploit you once they know you deal with a mental issue like depression. Some get their jollies with it. Some just take advantage of you. Clinical depression is pure hell, and being sad isn't depression, sadly, the folks that most need to understand are the quickest to dismiss...
Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

1 recommendation

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Here's an article by Aaron's expert witness that should cast great doubt on the prosecution's case:

»unhandled.com/2013/01/12 ··· s-crime/
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Thank you for that.
Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Putting it into context. It's nearly an hour long but Arron died for it, so please give it due consideration.

The Architecture of Access to Scientific Knowledge ~ Lawrence Lessig, 18 April 2011

vimeo.com/22633948
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

1 recommendation

daveinpoway

Premium Member

Another article about this: »news.yahoo.com/what-we-l ··· z;_ylv=3
Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob

Premium Member

There's a double tragedy here. The loss of a brilliant young man is tragic. He didn't intend to be a martyr and that's the second tragedy. No one would have thought he was putting his life at risk under any sane system of law.
Just Bob

Just Bob

Premium Member

Guerilla Open Access Manifesto ~ Aaron Swartz
»pastebin.com/cefxMVAy
Expand your moderator at work

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

AVD to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird

Re: Reddit co-founder Aaron Swartz found dead.

said by Blackbird:

said by PX Eliezer704:

... Swartz pleaded not guilty. His federal trial on computer fraud charges was to begin next month....

»www.cbsnews.com/8301-205 ··· nd-dead/...

Well, he is alleged to have hacked the MIT computer and copied the journals with intent to give copies of them away - which, to me, seems more like hacking and "copyright violation" rather than outright "stealing".

he had a license to the content. The bulk downloading was probably a violation of the license as well as the "intent to distribute". But he did not hack anything.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

Speaking as a bipolar person who has been treated like shit because of it, I can tell you, people readily exploit you once they know you deal with a mental issue like depression. Some get their jollies with it. Some just take advantage of you. Clinical depression is pure hell, and being sad isn't depression, sadly, the folks that most need to understand are the quickest to dismiss...

Some people are going to treat you badly anyways. Your own makeup determines how you react to it.
I went through some depression years ago. Everything went wrong at once. Some people cared, some people did try to use me but would have anyways with or without depression, most didn't care one way or the other .
Thing is those that saw a chink and the armor and went for it would have gone for any weakness. Heck no weakness and they were still going after me.
Just when you are seeing things in a skewed perspective you do not handle things as well. So really you can not say they are going after you because of BP , depression etc. Probably going after you anyways. Plus because of your skewed perspective may not be going after you as much as you think or as personally as you think.
In this case they are fighting a case and it looks good on their track record. Doesn't matter who it is or what if any problems they have. Just think the public wants to see them fight this case to make them look good.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
Corry Doctorow

Internet Archive Blogs

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

I've no doubt the prosecution probably pushed him over the edge, and yes, the prosecutor is to blame for that. But it appears that he had issues long before that started.

I don't want to get into a debate over what caused him to do what he did, that is something we will probably never know.

More in that vein:
»www.loopinsight.com/2013 ··· d-at-26/

Swartz was also an information activist who often worked outside the law and suffered the consequences. He downloaded and publicly released Federal court documents stored in the government’s PACER database, kicking off an investigation by the FBI. At the time of his death, Swartz was being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney for Massachusetts for violating the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act in connection with his unauthorized access to MIT’s computer network to download a large amount of files from JSTOR, an online repository of academic journal articles.

Some have speculated that the specter of prosecution and imprisonment in connection with the JSTOR incident drove Swartz to suicide. Doctorow didn’t discount the possibility, but also noted that Swartz had suffered with depression. Swartz himself talked about his depression and suicidal ideation publicly in comments he made after parting company with Condé Nast following its acquisition of Reddit in 2006.

Just Bob
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

Just Bob

Premium Member

»lessig.tumblr.com/post/4 ··· as-bully
The billions of snippets of sadness and bewilderment spinning across the Net confirm who this amazing boy was to all of us. But as I’ve read these aches, there’s one strain I wish we could resist:

Please don’t pathologize this story.

No doubt it is a certain crazy that brings a person as loved as Aaron was loved (and he was surrounded in NY by people who loved him) to do what Aaron did. It angers me that he did what he did. But if we’re going to learn from this, we can’t let slide what brought him here.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
I doubt there was any copyright violation, I figure since universities get public dollars in some form or another that most of this work is actually public domain. Just like images from the Hubble Telescope are public domain because it was helped along via public dollars.