spc
uniqs

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

TitusTroy to fishacura

to fishacura

Re: Ultra HD at CES

4K does not excite me as there will be little to no content for many years...you will just have a very expensive upscaler...the OLED sets on display at CES were jawdropping...forget 4K, I'll take 1080p with an OLED

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by TitusTroy:

4K does not excite me as there will be little to no content for many years...you will just have a very expensive upscaler...the OLED sets on display at CES were jawdropping...forget 4K, I'll take 1080p with an OLED

But will OLED gain a foothold? If 4K errrr UltraHD sets gains a foothold first and starts dropping in price, it could wipe out any potential for OLED, no matter how much better it looks.

I would really like to see an OLED set in person.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to TitusTroy

Mod

to TitusTroy
By that argument we'd all be still watching black and white tv with bunny ears or listening to transistor radio.

4k or 8k is the next technology jump. It's going to happen... not sure when. OLED is just trying to squeeze more out of a format without actually doing anything.

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

TitusTroy to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

But will OLED gain a foothold? If 4K errrr UltraHD sets gains a foothold first and starts dropping in price, it could wipe out any potential for OLED, no matter how much better it looks

OLED will be crazy expensive ($12,000 for a 55" set) but 4K sets will also be expensive...I don't see either technology taking off for awhile as the vast majority of people don't even seem to care about current 1080p...OLED sets can do 4K as well, so it's not limited to 1080p

you need somewhere close to an 80" set to even notice the difference with 4K AND be sitting really close to the screen...so that's another reason why I think OLED is the real gamechanger

I'm a videophile and want to see new tech but don't know if these will gain widespread acceptance anytime soon (if ever)...when HDTV first launched it had the advantage of a new optical media to go alongside it (Blu-ray and HD-DVD)...but 4K is launching pretty much on its own which will hurt its growth

check out this video of the new LG OLED set from CES...

»ces.cnet.com/8301-34435_ ··· ut-$12k/

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler

Anon

Titus,

I totally agree that OLED is a Gamechanger, and will be the next generation of 1080p HDTVs. OLED tech can make TV sets thinner, more Energy Star efficient , cheaper to make, Infinite Contrasts, etc.

I am totally looking forward to OLED, and believe that even though they are debuting with 55"+ OLED sets, that they will filter down to regular sizes of 40-60 inches for the everyday home (like myself and others whom Family room can only support a Finite TV size.)

I also believe that OLED will be the manufactured norm for the non-to-distant future 1080p HDTV set, as well as Ultra HD sets before they are in the stores so we can see and purchase.

On that note: Samsung's curved OLED TV at CES, to me, was awesome, and IMHO would really take off if it was manufactured. Documentaries and sports would really benefit from the curved shape. This can Only be done with OLED displays, mind you.

Anywho...After all this trickles down, Before long, Computer Monitors will be OLED for only a few Hundred bucks. Like how for 300 dollars , one could get a 1080p LED 27' Monitor now.

I am eager to see what the future will bring in regards to this, and when affordable, I will get an OLED set, and then inevitably, an Ultra HD set when there is Media out there that are in Native form, (like Native 4k BluRays with Native BluRay Players, UHD STBs, and channels.)