Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

warlock56
Premium
join:2002-07-31
Arlington, TX
reply to warlock56

Re: Providers that can offer non-published phone numbers?

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes I would need to port my existing number to the new service provider.

I looked up the details of what Callcentric offers and that does appear to be a great fit for my needs. Any recommendations on a particular ATA? When I redid the phone wiring, it is all based in a central location now in my closet thus easy to access all of the ports in the house. Based on my understanding of what an ATA does, I could easily wire up a hub of sorts and then have 1 ATA service all of the existing phones in the house. Will that work?
--
The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. -John Adams, 1787

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
said by warlock56:

I looked up the details of what Callcentric offers and that does appear to be a great fit for my needs.

They are a great company. Just be sure that you understand that you would pick an outbound plan and an inbound plan. If you choose one of the flat-rate outbound plans (such as 500 or 1000) then the 911 fee is included, otherwise that's separate.

said by warlock56:

Any recommendations on a particular ATA?

I'd look at Grandstream Handytone (such as 701 or 702) or the Obi family.

»www.grandstream.com/index.php/pr···adaptors
»obihai.com/matrix.html

said by warlock56:

Based on my understanding of what an ATA does, I could easily wire up a hub of sorts and then have 1 ATA service all of the existing phones in the house. Will that work?

Yes, as long as there is no burglar alarm involved on the system, and as long as the ringer equivalence numbers (REN) of your phones don't exceed the capability of the ATA.

You MUST disconnect the telephone company connection at the Network Interface Device (NID).

As long as that NID disconnection is reliably done, then you can get a phone cord that has RJ-11 plugs at each end, plug one end into the ATA, plug the other end into your nearest phone jack, and it should serve your whole system.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
reply to warlock56

zapattack

join:2012-07-02
CANADA
reply to warlock56
Caution: how many phones do you mean, and what type?
The typical ATA does not supply enough power to ring more than a couple of old mechanical bells, but several electronic sets are no problem.
This is why multi-handset cordless are popular. Only one connection (load) for four or five handsets.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
^^^
Excellent point.