join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA

coxta to Dennis

Premium Member

to Dennis

Re: Crazy problem

said by Dennis:

said by coxta:

They put a static IP in the modem and set up dhcp and said their job was done. I asked them to pass the IP addresses through the modem and turn off DHCP. They said it was impossible with this modem.

Right yeah it is impossible. That's because the authentication certificate in embedded into the hardware since Uverse doesn't use PPPoE. Although I agree the installing tech should have at least set up the router as mackey See Profile above outlined. Maybe that discussion got derailed with the whole DHCP thing?

You can get your own router (Belkin N300 with dd-wrt is nice) run it off one of the static ip's and then use it for your LAN's DHCP easily.

It's not quite that easy. You can't shut off the DHCP on the modem.

I've gone through the things on this thread and followed threads on the ATT forum now and this is a continuing problem. I asked the installer for the DNS and he said I didn't need it. He didn't know the DNS and maybe didn't know what DNS was.

»forums.att.com/t5/Featur ··· /2890841

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

said by coxta:

It's not quite that easy. You can't shut off the DHCP on the modem.

DHCP isn't magic. All you have to do is create a new subnet and then your router becomes the DHCP server for that subnet while the AT&T Uverse RG is only DHCP for it's subnet which would connect to the new router's WAN port.

The DNS is:

Which are anycast IP's valid anywhere. Or you can use any DNS you want it doesn't really matter honestly for internet traffic.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA

2 edits

coxta

Premium Member

Of course it isn't magic. Any DNS should do although the ISP's DNS may be faster depeneding on how that web page is routed. And as has been discussed, I can limit the DHCP to a different subnet from my LAN router.

Keep in mind that the installer should be able to set his modem up the way I request. I wasn't even able to get manual with the modem. I have one now and I have some other information, but we shall see how things go.

Well, I have some of the network up and working. I guess the last thing he did was try to use citrex to log on to a remote gateway.

I did forget to mention that I walked on in him as he was pulling the cables out of our router and switch. I guess he thought it was ATT's modem and other property. That's why only a portion of the network is up and running. He didn't plug them all back in as they should have been.

Well, the good news is that all seems to be working after a few hours of work. It's not particularlly fast, but I didn't run any speed tests. I will wait and see how stable it is over time. Thank you everyone (except for ATT unless some of you are ATT employees) for the assistance.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel

In general, ATT's DNS is crap. I would avoid it if possible.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

said by Paralel:

In general, ATT's DNS is crap. I would avoid it if possible.

Actually no it's not. Feel free to use whatever you really want for internet traffic but your statement is a generalization of your personal opinion.

Mangix
join:2012-02-16
united state

Mangix to Paralel

to Paralel
Unlike a lot of DNS servers out there, 68.94.156/7.1 both support DNSSEC. At least forward thinking...

So I disagree.