spc
Search similar:

uniqs

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah

ActivityMonitor

This gem has been showing up for 3 days now.
Has anyone else seen this in the past?
Google is no real help, I did a MalwareBytes scan, searched, etc.

XP, use AVG

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

said by capecoddah:

Has anyone else seen this in the past?

Yes and it is bona fide warning. The software may or may not work satisfactorily

Cudni

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to capecoddah

Premium Member

to capecoddah
In web searching for ("activitymonitor" "Logo testing"), about 185 results returned. Most of the situations could be covered by the selection of quotes below, each from a different situation. While a couple of reports involved obscure software installations, most of them revolved around AVG, AdAware/AdWatch, and KIS installations or updates. They covered the 2009 to 2012 timeframe. The peculiar thing is that almost none of the reported problems were ever solved by tweaks, settings changes, or anti-malware software analysis/activity. Instead, either updating to other versions or products (or even reformating or restoring to an earlier restore point) seemed to provide relief in a few cases where final results were given. Otherwise, reformatting or restoring to an earlier restore point were noted as resolving things.

Some of the security "guru" responses from a variety of places consistently zeroed in on theorized malware that was interfering with AV installations or updates. But virtually none of the threads indicated positive confirmation of such a cause (even after using tools like combofix, malwarebytes, and a couple of rootkit removal tools), leaving those threads to either die out or end with users reformatting or restoring.

The other class of response was that the message was valid, but nobody could figure out where it originated or why. Those threads usually ended with either abandonment/uninstallation of the accused software or with the user reformatting or restoring.

It's certainly not a problem I've ever seen before, so this is about all I can add.
quote:
Soluto Support response: This error message would appear if Windows is configured to install only Logo tested drivers.
-----
I recently changed my AVG back to free version, but that's about as much change as I have done.
I've swapped to Avast because Avg seemed to be linked to that Activity Monitor: it was running too many updates and after every one it appeared ActitityMonitor.
-----
AVG2012 was working "install and forget" until recently, Windows XP...
I then installed AVG 2013 Free and it looks like all problems are gone, thanks.
-----
Hello. I just finished updating KIS on my pc (XP with SP 3) to the 8.0.0454 build from an earlier 8.0 version and everything is running fine. Though while updating, I received several popups with this warning:

"ActivityMonitor has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP"
-----
When I install AdAware I install ONLY AdAware, not Google Chrome too. When I boot up for the first time after the interrupted installation AdAware loading takes a very very long time. And I get the warning screen when I UNinstall AdAware, as well as when I install it.
I first experienced the Activity Monitor warning while installing AdAware quite some time ago - a year or two (2008-2009) ... As far as I can tell, the AM warning comes up ONLY when the AdWatch component of AdAware is being installed.
-----
Yesterday evening I noticed something strange going on with Ad-Aware. While installing an update, a window popped up saying AdWatch ActivityMonitor has not passed Windows logo testing.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah

The warning seems to show up when AVG updates. I just did a manual update and the ActivityMonitor warning showed up..

I ran an AVG scan last night with no problems.

Out of Left Field; no hardware or software changes, didn't visit any new sites.

I think I'll dial the clock back to a restore point from last week. After the Morning Coffee kicks in and before the Football Beer starts I'll figure out how to do it (it's been a while).

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Why do a system restore .........that won't fix AVG?

Just use another AVP.............AVG is a terrible program and just better than having nothing on your computer.

»www.consumeractiongroup. ··· yMonitor