share rss forum feed

applerule

join:2012-12-23
Mars Hill, NC
Reviews:
·US Cellular
·Frontier Communi..
·Millenicom

[Other] $8k to get Charter to my house...suggestions?

I moved recently, and at my new house I cannot get Charter service. I had Charter come out to do a site survey, and I was told that the only way I could get the service is if I paid the $8k to get the line ran myself.

Has anyone had any luck getting Charter to eat the cost of running a line by having multiple people in an area request it, or by a service commitment? I'd be willing to pay like $1k but $8k is way too much to spend. I'm using satellite/dsl now and it's is horrible compared to the service I used to get with cable.

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter

sometimes if you agree to pay 8k upfront you can get 8k credit on your bill so youed not have to pay anything for several years on your cable bill

if you could get a petition going that could work or you could split the cost with neighbors etc

Jerm

join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
kudos:2
reply to applerule

Do your neighbors have Charter? Know them very well?

Just get service at their house and use wireless to transmit it to yours.

»www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nanostat···4EGI3CI/

$50 each end.

Way cheaper than $8K!

kasparov33
Premium
join:2007-05-04
Conover, NC
reply to applerule

Applerule do you know how far away from the closest tap you are? If you can procure that information I might be of more assistance. Thank you

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to applerule

If you are willing to pay a bit more per month you could get a business account where they will put you on a contract in exchange for doing the construction.

jneumann

join:2010-09-23
Milton, WI
reply to Jerm

said by Jerm:

Do your neighbors have Charter? Know them very well?

Just get service at their house and use wireless to transmit it to yours.

»www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nanostat···4EGI3CI/

$50 each end.

Way cheaper than $8K!

+1 to this. Charter quoted me $9k to run cable up my driveway. Instead I got them to drop it at the pole near the road and used Ubiquiti Bullet M2-HP's to send it up to the house. (12v over outdoor romex power cable run down the fence line to power the modem + AP in a weather proof panel antenna enclosure is WAY cheaper than coax+trenching)

applerule

join:2012-12-23
Mars Hill, NC
Reviews:
·US Cellular
·Frontier Communi..
·Millenicom

Thanks all for your replies!

jneumann/jerm, If I could get the tap somewhere on my property I'd be willing to do something like running a wireless setup. I'd prefer to not have to find someone else to host the service for me if possible.

zed260, I'm definitely going to look into setting up a business account...that sounds promising. I'd commit to several years if they would just get it to me.

kasparov33, Check your IM's, I sent you some detailed information about where the lines are around me and where my location is. Any information you can provide will help!

tcassette

join:2013-01-29
Cleveland, TN
reply to applerule

I got the same story from Charter when we moved to Tennessee in 2010. This was after both their website and a telephone representative assured us that service was available at the home we ended up buying. Turns out we are 0.4 miles from the end of their service line. They want almost $9000 to run service to our house. I offered to sign a multi-year contract for bundled TV, internet, and telephone, but that made no difference. I even talked to the Charter regional VP, who said that it didn't make economic sense for them to extend the line to me unless I paid for it. Of course, they would then own the line and would probably depreciate it on their taxes. I would be out the money regardless of the quality of their service. Based on their reputation around here, I would be foolish to pay a premium.

Therefore, I am currently limited to expensive and capped wireless 4G service from Verizon. No other wired provider services my rural area. Too bad all the politicians are in the pockets of the cable/telcos.