spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Baa

@rr.com

Why is there an approved modems list anyways?

Other than "because we can" or "to prevent people from buying a modem that won't work for them", is there any reason why TWC limits what specific modem models my be provisioned onto their network?

I was planning on purchasing the Arris TM822G but was disappointed to learn it's not on their approved list (nor are any eMTA modems as far as I can see - and yes I am aware of their lame "solution" to that problem).

I am just wondering if there's some technical aspect behind this madness that someone can hopefully give me some insight on, or if it's entirely a business-orientated decision. Thanks!

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
Probably from a support perspective it makes things a bit easier. Also, software/firmware support for the devices is easier when you dont have a hodge podge of different devices.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

harald

join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH
kudos:2
reply to Baa
How about?

They have to have a relationship with the manufacturer, in order to obtain software updates.

They have to manage software updates - testing, releasing, keeping support personnel up to date.

They are accountable for the performance of 911, which a big part of why they do not permit (so far as I know) self-installs of voice modems nor the use of customer-owned voice modems.

Their business, they run it as they choose.

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19
TWC NY/NJ area allows self -install of voice modems.

rv65
Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!
kudos:1
reply to Baa
I am using a purchased SB5100 modem and it seems to work fine. Got it for under $20 on ebay.