join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

applerule

Premium Member

Use phone tethering 24/7?

Okay, so after I've invested into my Verizon setup, I found out that US Cellular is doing unlimited 4G LTE plans...on phones only. You can tether to them for an additional fee. The big advantage for me going with this is I am literally 500 feet away from a 4G US Cellular tower with direct LOS. Has anyone had any experience with leaving a 4G phone tethered 24/7? I'd be looking at any of the US Cellular 4g phones...not much selection either. The 'best' phone they have is probably the Galaxy S3.

Obviously I'd be leaving the phone plugged in all the time and would only be using it for tethering. It would be tethered directly to a router.
gbeav
join:2013-01-31
Mountain Grove, MO

gbeav

My wife and I both have Razr Max's /w unlimited data with Verizon. They are our only internet connection so one of us is tethered pretty much all the time. We'd like to know how to tether to a router, if you know. thanks.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to applerule

Premium Member

to applerule
said by applerule:

Okay, so after I've invested into my Verizon setup, I found out that US Cellular is doing unlimited 4G LTE plans...on phones only. You can tether to them for an additional fee.

Doesnt the additional tethering fee give you 5 GBs or somewhere around there? I believe you are referring to there hotspot feature.
applerule
Premium Member
join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

applerule

Premium Member

Just an update, I went to my US Cellular store about two weeks ago and got a phone to tether with. I got the cheapest 4g phone they had (Samsung Galaxy Axiom), and I am tethering via USB to my home built router (pfSense). It works really well with no issues. I restart everything and reconnect the phone every few days but so far no complaints.

It costs right at $100/mo to do this. You have to buy the cheapest voice plan they have, and add $60 for unlimited data with tethering. I am getting consistent speeds of over 20mbit down. I have used over 25gb of data in two weeks with no throttling.

You could tether this thing via hotspot mode to a cradlepoint router if you wanted to, and I don't think you would have any problems.

If you are willing to pay it, I would highly recommend it. The unlimited 4g is just a promo, so no telling when it will run out, but you get to keep it for two years. I'm hoping that by the time my contract is up there are some better options for internet where I live.
gbeav
join:2013-01-31
Mountain Grove, MO

gbeav

Would you please tell me more about your "home built router"
Thanks

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg

Premium Member

^^^ Yes, please. I know pfsense, but haven't used it. Are you hard wired from the phone (microUSB) to a computer (or embedded device) (with standard USB) running pfsense? Dang; wish I'd read this a week ago. I was looking to fabricate some kind of 4G-to-router connection as an alternative to re-upping my AT&T Uverse Internet...

Maybe take the tech discussion to the appropriate networking/routing forum and give us a pointer to a write-up there?