rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: [Internet] Feature request: Netflix SuperHD support

said by BHNtechXpert:

Nothing like this is ever free...

For fun, I'll jump on this dogpile......

You are correct, it's not free. It costs the ISP in terms of space, power, cooling, ports and, to a small degree, hands-on labor by ISP personnel.

On the other hand, streams are going to cross the last mile no matter how they're sourced. But if you can keep thousands of streams OFF your transit interconnects through on-net caching, that savings can be measured in real dollars.

It's similar to the way Akamai works, and if I'm not mistaken, BHN has on-net Akamai mirrors.

Perhaps Open Connect is too new and the technology used by Netflix is unproven. I can appreciate that viewpoint. Once the product is mature and their particular flavor of mirroring passes the trial by fire, I'd be surprised if BHN didn't join in the fun eventually.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

3 edits

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by rebus9:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Once the product is mature and their particular flavor of mirroring passes the trial by fire, I'd be surprised if BHN didn't join in the fun eventually.

As usual Rebus gets it... you left off a couple of cost variables I'll let you go back to the announcement and digest it a bit again and knowing what you know add them in because they are real and things that one cannot ignore. Hint - bits, bytes and other pesky little things....msg me when ya get a moment as I need to chat with you anyway on that other thing we were working on.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by rebus9:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Once the product is mature and their particular flavor of mirroring passes the trial by fire, I'd be surprised if BHN didn't join in the fun eventually.

As usual Rebus gets it... you left off a couple of cost variables I'll let you go back to the announcement and digest it a bit again and knowing what you know add them in because they are real and things that one cannot ignore. Hint - bits, bytes and other pesky little things....msg me when ya get a moment as I need to chat with you anyway on that other thing we were working on.

Don't have time at the moment to dig into it, but I know their OpenConnect PEERING requires 95th percentile traffic exchange of at least 2 Gbps to qualify. It also leaves the ISP to backhaul the traffic away from the exchange points and into the local market.

What I was talking about (granted, I did not necessarily make this clear) in my original post is their OpenConnect appliance which gets installed on-net. That's what I meant with my comment about how Akamai does it.