join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170

Re: [Cable] Peak hours SUPER slow!

said by 34764170:

said by Tx:

i think it's just the matter oF paying the additional $$$ .... quiet honestly we all could get around no problem with a 2-5 meg connection so 5-10 is very good compared to a lot.

Speak for yourself. I could not. Otherwise I would be on a 5Mbps connection.

I did say get around aka survive. Not dying if all we had was 5meg.
Not arguing the issue as even in that old thread it was never addressed
UnixMan0
join:2012-10-14

UnixMan0

Guys, it looks like this is an unofficial TekSavvy (but official for other third party ISP) rule. Look at Acanac "DSL packages Overview". This is exactly what we are seeing every evening!

The problem is that TekSavvy never mentioned it. Is it a kind of fraud?
UnixMan0

UnixMan0

I meant Acanac "Peak Hour Rate Limit".
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to UnixMan0

to UnixMan0
said by UnixMan0:

Guys, it looks like this is an unofficial TekSavvy (but official for other third party ISP) rule. Look at Acanac "DSL packages Overview". This is exactly what we are seeing every evening!

Absolutely not true. TekSavvy has no time-based restrictions on cable usage. For DSL, unlike Acanac, Teksavvy chooses to have a cap on usage from 8AM-2AM rather than a cap on rates.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by The Mongoose:

Absolutely not true. TekSavvy has no time-based restrictions on cable usage. For DSL, unlike Acanac, Teksavvy chooses to have a cap on usage from 8AM-2AM rather than a cap on rates.

They have a cap if you choose the cap.
UnixMan0
join:2012-10-14

UnixMan0

Absolutely true!

Mongoose, how do you know about what you are telling? Are you a TekSavvy owner, employee ...? If you are so informed in TekSavvy business how then can you explain the picture I just pointed to?
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Tx

to Tx
said by Tx:

Yes, if I went back to just checking e-mail and light web surfing then sure I could survive on 5Mbps.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by Tx:

Yes, if I went back to just checking e-mail and light web surfing then sure I could survive on 5Mbps.

I hosted game servers off my 5 meg DSL with TSI for years. Downloaded tons and had no complaints. 5meg is a lot more then just mild browsing. You can use the connection no problemo.

Hell i used the 5Meg connection and updates for my Xen/OpenVZ template updates daily on about 40 severs. It's very usable, just not fast. It's not a disagreement that the speed sucks and that it's not 90's speeds. I'm not disagreeing there, but the speed is far better then "light web surfing"
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by Tx:

I hosted game servers off my 5 meg DSL with TSI for years. Downloaded tons and had no complaints. 5meg is a lot more then just mild browsing. You can use the connection no problemo.

What you consider acceptable for the job and what I consider acceptable for the job are the not the same thing. I had a 5Mb DSL connection for years and it was pretty painful doing much of anything other than e-mail/light web surfing. To me 5Mb even as of quite a few years ago is the modern day equivalent of dial-up. 5Mb DSL isn't even 5, it is 4.3.

Frequently my connection has two Netflix sessions running. I couldn't even run 1 Netflix session plus a single download on a 5Mb connection never mind multiple downloads and various other things I tend to do on a regular basis.

34764170 (banned) to UnixMan0

to UnixMan0
said by UnixMan0:

No, it is not an unofficial TekSavvy policy.

You were never guaranteed any particular speed at any time. Try actually reading the terms of service for any ISP.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by Tx:

What you consider acceptable for the job and what I consider acceptable for the job are the not the same thing. I had a 5Mb DSL connection for years and it was pretty painful doing much of anything other than e-mail/light web surfing. To me 5Mb even as of quite a few years ago is the modern day equivalent of dial-up. 5Mb DSL isn't even 5, it is 4.3.

Frequently my connection has two Netflix sessions running. I couldn't even run 1 Netflix session plus a single download on a 5Mb connection never mind multiple downloads and various other things I tend to do on a regular basis.

I'm not too sure what you're not understanding. I said we as a people could get around in my original post, survive, live with, not die, manage, work with a 5 meg connection.

We also managed off our Netflix sub as well as zero issues with 2 voip lines. Being a business owner who depends on his connection being fast, and relies on the voip lines, i survived, it was managed. This was the only point to what i said. You are of the minority who believe you cannot live with 5meg. Should 5 meg even be sold anymore? no, it's exactly like you compared it to. We're 2013 and 5 meg shouldn't even be advertised at it's ridiculous price

So you not being able to run netflix was your own problem, not the 5 meg. Our house had no issues running it, my father in-law's off Bell 5 meg when we're up north runs netflix no problem. You're debating with me if it's survivable, not even sure why. All i said was we could get around with it if we had to.

Either way, this is going off topic considering there is a bigger issue at hand as this thread mentions and i'm very curious about but seems to lack any proper response
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned)

said by Tx:

We also managed off our Netflix sub as well as zero issues with 2 voip lines. Being a business owner who depends on his connection being fast, and relies on the voip lines, i survived, it was managed. This was the only point to what i said. You are of the minority who believe you cannot live with 5meg. Should 5 meg even be sold anymore? no, it's exactly like you compared it to. We're 2013 and 5 meg shouldn't even be advertised at it's ridiculous price

So you not being able to run netflix was your own problem, not the 5 meg. Our house had no issues running it, my father in-law's off Bell 5 meg when we're up north runs netflix no problem. You're debating with me if it's survivable, not even sure why. All i said was we could get around with it if we had to.

Either way, this is going off topic considering there is a bigger issue at hand as this thread mentions and i'm very curious about but seems to lack any proper response

No, it wasn't my problem. Considering one Netflix session consumes a whole 5 Mbps (encoding is at 3800 Kb/sec + audio track + TCP overhead) line where is the bandwidth for me to download too? DSL 5 Mbps is not 5 Mbps either, it is 4.3. I specifically upgraded because it simply was not enough bandwidth to get by comfortably. The year isn't 2000. What I'm willing to accept to "get by" isn't the same.