uniqs
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Tx

to Tx

Re: [Cable] Peak hours SUPER slow!

said by Tx:

I hosted game servers off my 5 meg DSL with TSI for years. Downloaded tons and had no complaints. 5meg is a lot more then just mild browsing. You can use the connection no problemo.

What you consider acceptable for the job and what I consider acceptable for the job are the not the same thing. I had a 5Mb DSL connection for years and it was pretty painful doing much of anything other than e-mail/light web surfing. To me 5Mb even as of quite a few years ago is the modern day equivalent of dial-up. 5Mb DSL isn't even 5, it is 4.3.

Frequently my connection has two Netflix sessions running. I couldn't even run 1 Netflix session plus a single download on a 5Mb connection never mind multiple downloads and various other things I tend to do on a regular basis.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by Tx:

I hosted game servers off my 5 meg DSL with TSI for years. Downloaded tons and had no complaints. 5meg is a lot more then just mild browsing. You can use the connection no problemo.

What you consider acceptable for the job and what I consider acceptable for the job are the not the same thing. I had a 5Mb DSL connection for years and it was pretty painful doing much of anything other than e-mail/light web surfing. To me 5Mb even as of quite a few years ago is the modern day equivalent of dial-up. 5Mb DSL isn't even 5, it is 4.3.

Frequently my connection has two Netflix sessions running. I couldn't even run 1 Netflix session plus a single download on a 5Mb connection never mind multiple downloads and various other things I tend to do on a regular basis.

I'm not too sure what you're not understanding. I said we as a people could get around in my original post, survive, live with, not die, manage, work with a 5 meg connection.

We also managed off our Netflix sub as well as zero issues with 2 voip lines. Being a business owner who depends on his connection being fast, and relies on the voip lines, i survived, it was managed. This was the only point to what i said. You are of the minority who believe you cannot live with 5meg. Should 5 meg even be sold anymore? no, it's exactly like you compared it to. We're 2013 and 5 meg shouldn't even be advertised at it's ridiculous price

So you not being able to run netflix was your own problem, not the 5 meg. Our house had no issues running it, my father in-law's off Bell 5 meg when we're up north runs netflix no problem. You're debating with me if it's survivable, not even sure why. All i said was we could get around with it if we had to.

Either way, this is going off topic considering there is a bigger issue at hand as this thread mentions and i'm very curious about but seems to lack any proper response
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned)

said by Tx:

We also managed off our Netflix sub as well as zero issues with 2 voip lines. Being a business owner who depends on his connection being fast, and relies on the voip lines, i survived, it was managed. This was the only point to what i said. You are of the minority who believe you cannot live with 5meg. Should 5 meg even be sold anymore? no, it's exactly like you compared it to. We're 2013 and 5 meg shouldn't even be advertised at it's ridiculous price

So you not being able to run netflix was your own problem, not the 5 meg. Our house had no issues running it, my father in-law's off Bell 5 meg when we're up north runs netflix no problem. You're debating with me if it's survivable, not even sure why. All i said was we could get around with it if we had to.

Either way, this is going off topic considering there is a bigger issue at hand as this thread mentions and i'm very curious about but seems to lack any proper response

No, it wasn't my problem. Considering one Netflix session consumes a whole 5 Mbps (encoding is at 3800 Kb/sec + audio track + TCP overhead) line where is the bandwidth for me to download too? DSL 5 Mbps is not 5 Mbps either, it is 4.3. I specifically upgraded because it simply was not enough bandwidth to get by comfortably. The year isn't 2000. What I'm willing to accept to "get by" isn't the same.