robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to lutful

Mod

to lutful

Re: no water going to furnace humidifer

You should just cut it out and solder a tee and real valve in there. Saddle valves like what you have are junk.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by robbin:

You should just cut it out and solder a tee and real valve in there. Saddle valves like what you have are junk.

What he said. That pipe is already damaged beyond repair, code-wise, in many jurisdictions.

I would advise checking the pad, drain, strainer, orifice, and solenoid as well if it's a typical Aprilaire. Parts are widely available.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

Both furnace and humidifer are really old and there is no solenoid. A float stops the water flowing from this tube onto a rectangular pan. The valve (see photo) is right on top of water heater on the cold pipe.

Maybe some "sharkbite" type compression fitting can be used for this? I have never soldered copper pipes and don't have the torch and solder/flux.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by lutful:

Maybe some "sharkbite" type compression fitting can be used for this? I have never soldered copper pipes and don't have the torch and solder/flux.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. First check that the saddle valve is the problem. If it is, the easy fix is tightening it and re-opening it so that it pierces the pipe again.
As far as soldering - it's really, really easy and the torch and solder are readily available for cheap.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to robbin

MVM

to robbin
said by robbin:

This would be my vote, even if you use sharkbite fittings, over another saddle valve. Only other thing I'd suggest is shutting off the water first. Otherwise work REALLY fast and be sure you have everything ready.