how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23
reply to chrisretusn

Re: Feds warn PC users to disable Java

This java exploit affects linux, OSX,Unix as well. Not just Windows based OS.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Yeah...well Apple must have juice with Oracle because they have access to a newer version of Java that doesn't have the vulnerability and they are having all their users install it.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

said by Mele20:

Yeah...well Apple must have juice with Oracle because they have access to a newer version of Java that doesn't have the vulnerability and they are having all their users install it.

They are disabling it..»www.macrumors.com/2013/01/11/app···-threat/

Where did you get your info there is a newer version?
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

said by Name Game:

I wouldn't be surprised if the version number of Java for Apple machines is higher (or lower). That may, or may not, mean anything. After all Google (with Chrome) and Microsoft (with IE10) have different numbers for their embedded Adobe Flash Player.

There was a time when version numbers meant something. These days not so much. For example look at Mozilla Firefox. They bump a major version every month or so.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

said by StuartMW:

said by Name Game:

I wouldn't be surprised if the version number of Java for Apple machines is higher (or lower). That may, or may not, mean anything. After all Google (with Chrome) and Microsoft (with IE10) have different numbers for their embedded Adobe Flash Player.

There was a time when version numbers meant something. These days not so much. For example look at Mozilla Firefox. They bump a major version every month or so.

I read this in one of the security articles. I'll see if I can find it again. The article's author may have been misinformed but said that Apple, contrary to what was being bandied about the internet, was not disabling Java but instead requiring users to update Java to a brand new version not yet publicly available. I wasn't confused by the difference in numbering for Apple vs Windows but perhaps the author of the comment could have been.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

said by Mele20:

I wasn't confused by the difference in numbering for Apple vs Windows but perhaps the author of the comment could have been.

FYI I was saying it is possible. I don't know for sure.

Besides

»JAVA 7u11 now available for download
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Yeah... I see it is out so makes this all sort of moot.

Not sure I will install it though with all the reports of the Java registry key missing in the new version and thus Java won't work in Fx.
--

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Click for full size
It works and shows up just fine over here running Firefox 18.

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Last I remember Apple writes their own Java implementation just as they do with their video drivers.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

said by StuartMW:

said by Name Game:

I read this in one of the security articles. I'll see if I can find it again. The article's author may have been misinformed but said that Apple, contrary to what was being bandied about the internet, was not disabling Java but instead requiring users to update Java to a brand new version not yet publicly available. I wasn't confused by the difference in numbering for Apple vs Windows but perhaps the author of the comment could have been.

Nevertheless your info was wrong. Period.

»www.applebitch.com/2013/01/12/ap···on-macs/
»www.applebitch.com/2013/01/14/ne···eleased/

--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/