how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Chtucson

join:2001-01-13
Tucson, AZ

Tucson Arizona Service:

I was thinking of grabbing 40meg DSL line in Tucson how good is it and what it cost a month Cox just seems to be getting slow at 25megs even with powerboost I never get higher then 30megs plus they keep upping there price every month.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

• Cox does not up the price every month. A bit of an exaggeration?

• You are getting 5mb over your advertised rate. How many major issues have you had in the past year?

• 5mb more for a DSL connection that has the potential of major issues. Read the board and do some homework.

• If the price for DSL is $10/month, I might think about it.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

CLinCO

@qwest.net

Don't forget actual DSL throughput is around 85% of the sync speed due to protocol overhead. So a connection advertised at 40 Mbps would get you at best around 34 Mbps usable transfer rate.

Chtucson

join:2001-01-13
Tucson, AZ

Oops I didn't mean to say every month. Seems 34megs better then 27 average powerboost only works for few minutes then slows down reason why I asked about pricing cause I wanted to see what my options are I need it for highdef getting bigger and bigger.

Every time I put in my address it says nothing avail at my location which is not possible I live in high speed area I'm not much of tv person just want fast net I just wanted to get idea on pricing. I do use google a lot to search for topics none come back for Tucson just phoenix that metro.

Thanks for all help

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

Try putting in an address that is close to you and see if you get any response. Or just call them.

If I put in my address, it comes back with nothing available except business class (40mb). DSL is available on my street as some of my neighbors have CL (10mb).

When I call the Vegas CL office and ask for the 40mb plan it is not available. But if I ask for DSL + Prism, suddenly I can get both (40mb); but not just DSL (40mb). All that I can get is 10mb.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

JWNelson

join:2011-09-01
Columbia, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to CLinCO

said by CLinCO :

Don't forget actual DSL throughput is around 85% of the sync speed due to protocol overhead. So a connection advertised at 40 Mbps would get you at best around 34 Mbps usable transfer rate.

I had the 40 Mbps service for a while, before dropping to 20 Mbps to save a little money, and actually got about 37.5 Mbps down. The protocol overhead on the VDSL2 profile seems to allow for about 90% of the sync speed, as I now get 18-18.5 Mbps downstream.

If you are in an upgraded neighborhood and near enough to the DSLAM to have a reliable connection, it's better service than Cox in my opinion. I switched in 2011 and haven't looked back.

caedmon

@cox.net
reply to Chtucson

Both my wife and I are teleworkers so for redundancy we have both 40 mb and cox 20 mb. For us the 40mb is consistent at about 30 mb while cox often drops as low as 6 - 8 mb at certain times of day. Sometimes cox has dropped to 1 - 2 mb. For us it is very consistent. We now treat it as dialup backup and both use the 40 mb dsl

FWIW - we have looked at cox's Ultimate service (we have a cox approved docsis 3.0 modem) but given our experience with the 20 mb service and the fact that cox wants to force a service call on us just to turn it on we have decided to stay with the 40 mb dsl.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Chtucson

I've had the 40/5 connection in a few parts of Phoenix and, always got 37-38Mbps down/~4.5up consistently.

Where i live now, all i can get is 20/896k, and i still like it better than the service i got from Cox. i pull consistent 18.5-19Mbps down/~800k up, and it works just fine..

i rarely do uploads, but even when i do (Google Music and iCloud backup for iPad/iPhone, they all complete in a reasonable ammount of time)

To be honest, i will never move anywhere in Phoenix again where all i can get is Cox, as anytime i had issues with capacity (quite often), it would take me calling a supervisor that i came to know to get anything done, otherwise it would be tech after tech doing nothing but scratching their heads, and not to mention at my last place where all we could get was Cox and the node was terribly overloaded it took them six months to finally split the node after they confirmed that was the issue!

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to Chtucson

I do not live in AZ, but I do have CL in rural America. 10/.500 is the best I can expect for the future unless I want to go to cable and pay $100 for 10/2. It does not include the cost of cable. Right now my paying for CL bundled with phone, plus paying for Dish, is cheaper than the cable bundle without the cable VoIP phone by about $50. The largest majority of the time I get the 10 down.

What I heard is CL is offering 40/40 in LV. What I just read is it is serving 100Gbps to Paris and London. It makes you wonder doesn't it?
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA
reply to CLinCO

said by CLinCO :

Not really.

It is the advertising of the phone companies that are selling false speeds more than anything.

gworkman7

join:2005-10-18
Laveen, AZ
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER
reply to Chtucson

Tucson is a big city...I lived in the SE part of town for five years. I had CL there and it worked flawlessly the entire time. I work from home and need the connection to be solid...it is. I now live in PHX and have the same reliability for a year and a half.

agrall

join:2000-09-29
Tucson, AZ
reply to Chtucson

I would love to try an alternative to Comcast - but the Centurylink website only shows 1.5 Mbps available, which is pathetic...

Any chance of expanding speeds available? I live in the Catalina Foothills area...

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Well i know up here in Phoenix, CL is working like crazy to swap out old fiber and copper lines as they want to put Prism up here badly (and i cant wait for my neighborhood, since i HATE giving my money to Cox so i've decided no cable for now)

I have 20/5 at my house currently, but can get the 40/20 no problem, but my neighbor across the street can only get 20/896k for some reason - i'm assuming it's since they've not upgraded the copper yet

anyway, i currently test about 19/4.5 and i'm happy with it considering they can get the bill right every month, and it's consistently what i pay for.