spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hockeynomad
join:2007-06-19
Mississauga, ON

hockeynomad

What are Teksavvy's long term plans?

I love Teksavvy's business model, functions now like big company with small company feel, and offer best customer service.

I heard some snippets of new offerings, but nothing consolidated into one thread. Is TS going into offering a TV service, or an Internet TV service. If so, I anticipate good offerings at a good price and I'd be first to sign up.

Let's hear what's coming.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

Mike2009

I think Marc already mentioned not wanting to get into TV until others have tested it out first.

Ummmnoooos
@start.ca

Ummmnoooos to hockeynomad

Anon

to hockeynomad
Well they used to have the best customer service but they grew way too fast. long term plans should be to focus solely on putting CS back upto the best customer service levels as it was before. But I fear with the size of TSI now that will not be possible.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to hockeynomad

Premium Member

to hockeynomad
said by hockeynomad:

I love Teksavvy's business model, functions now like big company with small company feel, and offer best customer service.

I heard some snippets of new offerings, but nothing consolidated into one thread. Is TS going into offering a TV service, or an Internet TV service. If so, I anticipate good offerings at a good price and I'd be first to sign up.

Let's hear what's coming.

Don't expect TV anytime in the near future. That's my guess on that matter. When they introduced cable, CS went up and down ever since. It's starting to stabilize now. Bringing in TV would bring i'd guess even more of an influx of customers then cable internet did.

It's better to grow slowly and unfortunately the rapid pace set them back over the years.

Truthfully, i'm dying to see cable TV offered from them.
tross
join:2010-06-11
Technicolor DCM475
Linksys WRT310N

tross to hockeynomad

to hockeynomad
Perhaps more fundamentally in my view, is there any plan to get off Bell/Rogers/Telus/Videotron/whoever's networks and have their own network, where they're less subject to the whims and fancies of their competitors and, and have direct control over what they offer, and the level of service they can provide? Clearly, being as dependent on their competitors as TekSavvy is, is an undesirable situation.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by tross:

Perhaps more fundamentally in my view, is there any plan to get off Bell/Rogers/Telus/Videotron/whoever's networks and have their own network, where they're less subject to the whims and fancies of their competitors

To do that, they would have to roll out their own DSLAMs out in the field for sub-loop unbundling which the CRTC and most 3rd-party ISPs agreed was not realistically feasible. On the cable side, this would require dedicating upstream and downstream frequencies to individual ISPs and the CRTC agreed with the cablecos' position that cable spectrum does not have anywhere near as much free space as would be required to accommodate that so the CRTC scrapped that train of thought as well.

So unless 3rd-party find the couple of billions required to build a 3rd-wire network in major cities like Toronto and Montreal (I estimated about $3B for Montreal alone), it is unlikely that they will ever have a significant deployment of their own access infrastructure.
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to tross

to tross
said by tross:

Perhaps more fundamentally in my view, is there any plan to get off Bell/Rogers/Telus/Videotron/whoever's networks and have their own network, where they're less subject to the whims and fancies of their competitors and, and have direct control over what they offer, and the level of service they can provide? Clearly, being as dependent on their competitors as TekSavvy is, is an undesirable situation.

Never going to happen, for the reasons InvalidError laid out. Too expensive and too complex. TSI would have to be bigger than Rogers to afford it.
tross
join:2010-06-11
Technicolor DCM475
Linksys WRT310N

tross to hockeynomad

to hockeynomad
I admit to being somewhat ignorant of the costs associated. I occasionally hear of municipalities in the US, for example, organizing and offering their own non-profit fiber network (Lafayette for example, I recall hearing about cities in Minnesota and Tennessee, I think, as well), usually amid protests from the incumbents. I realize I might be going off-topic here, but out of curiosity, how are they able to afford to do this when typical municipalities don't usually have billion-dollar budgets either?
avp77
join:2010-07-10

avp77

Various levels of government have the power to issue bonds as a way to raise money. Since it's very rare for a government to go bankrupt, this is an effective way to raise funds, whereas a private company trying to sell shares for a similar investment isn't able to provide as much of a guarantee of future revenue.
hockeynomad
join:2007-06-19
Mississauga, ON

hockeynomad

Now i remember, it was a possibility of IP TV
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to tross

to tross
said by tross:

I admit to being somewhat ignorant of the costs associated. I occasionally hear of municipalities in the US, for example, organizing and offering their own non-profit fiber network (Lafayette for example, I recall hearing about cities in Minnesota and Tennessee, I think, as well), usually amid protests from the incumbents. I realize I might be going off-topic here, but out of curiosity, how are they able to afford to do this when typical municipalities don't usually have billion-dollar budgets either?

Most of these are state or municipal owned utilities that deploy the infrastructure and eventually sell the service. I don't see why any city here would invest in laying the infrastructure only to let Teksavvy or anyone else to profit from it.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to Mike2009

to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

I think Marc already mentioned not wanting to get into TV until others have tested it out first.

well by time he gets the idea ot move forward maybe with it ill have been at content by then and ill go indie and stay that way and anyone then wishing a deal can make one cheaply ...some of us enjoy doing stuff rather then worrying about tons a buckets a cash
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to hockeynomad

to hockeynomad
I think TSI could look at ACANAC's new tv product, and either do their own OR join up for just the tv side to share the TV product. Personally I would LOVE to see a "PICK YOUR OWN CHANNELS" system instead of this RAM CHANNELS you won't watch for X dollars.

My parents use Hurontel's IPTV via their FIBER TO THE HOME system and it's really sweet! Not to mention Shockley cheap!

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar

said by koreyb:

I think TSI could look at ACANAC's new tv product, and either do their own OR join up for just the tv side to share the TV product. Personally I would LOVE to see a "PICK YOUR OWN CHANNELS" system instead of this RAM CHANNELS you won't watch for X dollars.

+1.... I think the CRTC wanted the content providers to offer a "cherry pick" scheme. At least that's what I think I remember hearing.

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33 to hockeynomad

to hockeynomad
roll out fiber to the home in the speeds of 1 gigabit per second both directions like google fiber. get off of rogers/bell/cogeco/shaw/telus/videotron networks...

mike0z
@teksavvy.com

mike0z to hockeynomad

Anon

to hockeynomad
sorry if i missed any updates...but what are TSI's plans for province wide cable rollout in ontario...if any? I know a bunch of people both friends and family who have rogers internet, phone lines are all pretty crummy so dsl not a great option. Been waiting for a few years for any news on this, I read somewhere that maybe possibly 2013 is the year?
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to MJB33

to MJB33
said by MJB33:

roll out fiber to the home in the speeds of 1 gigabit per second both directions like google fiber. get off of rogers/bell/cogeco/shaw/telus/videotron networks...

Unless they join up together with all the others, and they run it as a non-profit fibre company, I doubt we will see this on any wide scale system.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by tross:

Perhaps more fundamentally in my view, is there any plan to get off Bell/Rogers/Telus/Videotron/whoever's networks and have their own network, where they're less subject to the whims and fancies of their competitors

To do that, they would have to roll out their own DSLAMs out in the field for sub-loop unbundling which the CRTC and most 3rd-party ISPs agreed was not realistically feasible. On the cable side, this would require dedicating upstream and downstream frequencies to individual ISPs and the CRTC agreed with the cablecos' position that cable spectrum does not have anywhere near as much free space as would be required to accommodate that so the CRTC scrapped that train of thought as well.

So unless 3rd-party find the couple of billions required to build a 3rd-wire network in major cities like Toronto and Montreal (I estimated about $3B for Montreal alone), it is unlikely that they will ever have a significant deployment of their own access infrastructure.

They should apply for lottery money to do a fiber build as a community service. Taking business from any incumbent is definitely a community service.