Lex Luthor
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY

4 edits

Lex Luthor

Mod

[WIN8] Windows 8 Multimedia Device Issue

I have Windows 8 Pro (installed over Windows 7) and have a WDTV Live Pro media player.

The WDTV Live Plus is not showing up under Devices in Windows 8 and thus I'm unable to get Serviio to work (if Windows doesn't see the box as a media device, certainly Serviio won't). It does show up under the Network section though, so it is seeing the box, just not as a media device.

The WDTV Live Plus box does show up on my other Windows 7 devices just fine.

I have tried to scan for new devices, but it doesn't find anything. Others have the WDTV Live Plus working on Windows 8, so it's not a compatibility issue there.

Also, I just ran a program called UPnP Tester. On my Windows 7 PC, the WDTV shows us as a media renderer. On the Window 8 PC, it doesn't show up there at all. The program does see my router as UPNP device though. I do have network discovery enabled.

I also disabled the Windows 8 firewall and that didn't change anything.

I'm totally stumped. Any ideas?
Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor

Mod

I guess since no one has replied this must be something more complicated that I thought or something that's uncommon just related to my setup.

I tried it on another Windows 7 PC yesterday and no problems at all. The WDTV shows up in devices section and as soon as I install Serviio, it sees the device.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops
join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint to Lex Luthor

to Lex Luthor
Though I'm hating my WDTVLive (whole nother story on it never keeping connected to the shares) - it does show up in my Windows 8 devices list. I didn't do anything special nor install anything on my W8 PC.

Lex Luthor
Mod
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor

Mod

Thanks. That's why this is going to drive me nuts. Works so easily on my Windows 7 PCs and others have no issues on Windows 8.

I have a DLNA TV arriving tomorrow. That's what I really wanted to get working with Serviio and my Windows 8 PC. I'm completely expecting to have the identical issue with that device. At least it's another data point.

Should I post this in networking also? I'm not really sure what the issue is here. It's something that needs to be adjusted in Windows 8, though, for sure.

I did email WD support as well, but not really expecting much there.

Have you tried the latest beta firmware for the WDTV Live?
»community.wdc.com/t5/WD- ··· firmware
That's probably the best firmware they have ever put out for it.

QuaffAPint
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint

I'll try the beta maybe then.

Does the wdlive show up in your device manager? Can you ping it from your w8 PC? Can you access the web console from your w8 pc? Did you try disabling the PCs firewall? Are all devices on the same network hardware - meaning there's no extra router/switch on the w8 pc one?

Lex Luthor
Mod
Hicksville, NY

1 edit

Lex Luthor

Mod

said by QuaffAPint:

Does the wdlive show up in your device manager? Can you ping it from your w8 PC? Can you access the web console from your w8 pc? Did you try disabling the PCs firewall? Are all devices on the same network hardware - meaning there's no extra router/switch on the w8 pc one?

Not at the PC now, but I don't know if it shows up in device manager on either Win 7 or Win 8. Will check.

Yes, I can ping it. It shows up as a network location (which it also does on Win 7), but not as a Device. Yes, I disabled the firewall. No, no extra hardware. The Win 8 PC is wired to the router. The Win 7 PCs are wireless. Can't see how that would matter though.

What do you mean web console? Not sure I knew that the WDTV had a web console. How would I test that? I wouldn't imagine that I could access the web console since it's not showing up as a device in Win 8.

This is really a frustrating problem. It's got to be something simple in the end. Maybe a service I turned off or something (UPNP and SSDP services are both running). I only have the Microsoft AV running, no other AV.

QuaffAPint
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint to Lex Luthor

to Lex Luthor
The WDTVLive has a web interface. Just wondering whether you could access that from the W8 PC. My WDLive also shows up in my Device Manager, thats why I asked.

Do any other devices show up in you device list?

Lex Luthor
Mod
Hicksville, NY

1 edit

Lex Luthor

Mod

said by QuaffAPint:

The WDTVLive has a web interface. Just wondering whether you could access that from the W8 PC. My WDLive also shows up in my Device Manager, thats why I asked.

Do any other devices show up in you device list?

No, not on the Windows 8 PC. On the Windows 7 PC, I have a section in device manager that says digital media devices, then inside that it says digital media device. Then in system devices, the WDTVLIVE shows up there.

Is that where you see it?

On the Windows 8 PC, in the devices section, I have all local devices listed (keyboard, mouse, speakers). In the Multimedia devices section, I have all of the PCs in the homegroup there.

Still not sure where to access the WDTV web interface. I type in the IP in the browser on either PC and don't get anything.

This is so frustrating. It should be easy.

QuaffAPint
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint to Lex Luthor

to Lex Luthor
Yes - It shows up under Digital Media Devices. I just go to »IPAddressOfWDTVLive to access the web interface of the device. But, if you can ping it, that probably wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Does anything show up when you Scan for Devices? Are your windows services like Upnp and SSDP running?

Lex Luthor
Mod
Hicksville, NY

1 edit

Lex Luthor

Mod

I can ping. Get a 404 error when I try to go to the web interface, but, since I can ping it, don't think that matters much.

Doesn't find it when I scan for devices.

UPNP and SSDP services are running on the Windows 8 PC.

Will see what happens tonight when the DLNA TV comes. I'd be surprised if it doesn't behave identically.

QuaffAPint
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint

Yea - I noticed both my TV and Receiver show up in my devices along with the wdtv.

Lex Luthor
Mod
Hicksville, NY

1 edit

Lex Luthor

Mod

Well, I'm rather stunned right now, but the TV showed up on the Windows 8 PC, no problem.

I can stream Serviio to the TV. That's really want I wanted anyhow. I wasn't as concerned about streaming to the WDTV.

What's even better (and I guess the whole point of a DLNA server) is that if I plug my USB with an .mkv into the TV and play it, it says audio not supported. If I stream the same .mkv through Serviio, it transcodes the audio on the fly and it plays fine. Brilliant!

Strangely, the TV isn't showing up on my Windows 7 PC yet. Not that I need it to, but I'll probably still waste time trying to figure it out.
Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor

Mod

This is real strange now. None of my Windows 7 PC see the TV. If I enable DLNA on my phone, the TV doesn't see it. When I try to run the Viera remote app on my phone, it doesn't see the TV.

All of that works (including the WDTV remote app) on the WDTV box with the Windows 7 PCs.

The Windows 8 PC connects to the TV fine, but doesn't connect to the WDTV.

The key is that the DLNA device has to show up in the Devices section in devices and printers. Then it will work for media streaming. So on the Win 7 PCs, the WDTV shows up there. On the Win 8 PC, the TV shows up there.

What's going on here?!
Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor

Mod

Don't give up on me yet. This is a challenge! I (we) are going to figure this out yet.

Made some progress tonight.

I disabled the WLAN on my Windows 7 laptop and connected it via Ethernet and it then communicates with the TV!

So, here's the network.

TV -Ethernet
WDTV - WLAN
Windows 8 PC - Ethernet
Windows 7 PC - WLAN
Samsung Galaxy S3 - WLAN

The WDTV can act as a media player for both the Windows 7 PC and Samsung Galaxy S3.

The TV can act as a media player for the Windows 8 PC.

If I connect the Windows 7 PC via Ethernet, then the TV sees it and the WDTV doesn't.

The TV can't act as a media player for the Samsung Galaxy S3 nor can they see each other to use the Galaxy S3 as a wireless remote.

Why can my wireless devices talk to each other and my wired devices talk to each other, but the wireless devices can't talk to the wired devices?!

Connecting a different router might be an option, but it'd be a big PITA since I have Fios and need the router in place for the coax connection. I supposed I could connect another router without internet access, but not sure how valid a test that would be or if any devices would act up without having internet access.

Any ideas?
Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor

Mod

Success!!!!

Once I figured out it was wired vs. wireless, I got this thread to come up in a google search

»businessforums.verizon.n ··· p/461359

I disabled the IGMP proxy on my Fios router and it's all working now!

QuaffAPint
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint to Lex Luthor

to Lex Luthor
Good to know - Thanks for sharing your solution for future searchers.

Lex Luthor
Mod
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor

Mod

It was definitely a tricky one!

When I was driving last night, it hit me that it wasn't a Win 7 vs Win 8 thing and that it was wireless vs wired. The android remote control app not communicating with the TV really steered me away from it being a computer issue.

Luckily, I put the right search terms in to find that Verizon forum thread.

Lots of people with the same issue in that thread, but not much about this, in general. I suppose there aren't that many people on Fios, with the newest router (don't think it was an issue with the older ones), with the newest firmware (may have just be an issue on this firmware, which was only released a couple of weeks ago) who are trying to communicated with DLNA devices that are both wired and wireless. If all of my devices were wireless (which is probably very common), I'd never have noticed the issue.

Very happy to have figured this out as it would have continued to bug me.