Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

1 edit

Subaru

Premium Member

Re: [hard drive] WD Caviar Blue failure rates?

Click for full size
Ok some stuff I got

The 2nd picture it got as far as like 305GB for the position and then it just dropped off the sata bus and ended with error blocks, in this picture it happened sooner then 2 hours into the scan..

However I can see all the stuff on the drive with the external connection but nothing in both systems.

*edit

just put it back in the system it came out of not changing anything but just doing the error scan on the stata to usb and now it's working in the system it came out of.. but I still don't trust it..

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle

FWIW, I've had 5 year-old Caviar Black drives fail on me (some spectacularly, some slowly) in the last 3 weeks but my 4 500GB Caviar Blue drives have been solid for the past 4 years.

Edit: I meant that to read 5 (quantity) one year old drives, not one 5 year-old drive.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Can you do a full format of the drive? I've found (and been told) that is a pretty good test for a new (or questionable) drive too.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
Please provide a screen shot of the Health tab after the Error Scan you ran.

There are known problems where HD Tune Pro will start spitting out craploads of supposed errors even though there are none. I've seen this happen as a result of Windows dropping devices off the bus as well.

I would also like to see a screen shot of the Health tab taken after you run a another Error Scan (and only if it experiences the error conditions shown similar to that of the your previous screenshot). This gives me before-and-after shots to compare.

All that said -- based on the Health tab of your first screenshot, your drive is in perfect condition, but I need to see the output post-Error-Scan.

Finally, there is no "high failure rate" seen with WD Caviar Blue drives. The Subject line in question is speculative at best, and very implicative without substantiated evidence (i.e. it implies "problems with a series of drives" without a sufficiently large sample of drives to prove that). Not raggin' on ya or anything, just saying it comes off/reads that way.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

It did it witht he WD tools program as well, it's like random.. it will happen then the drive will show up again.

I haven't been able to complete a whole error scan in both HD tune or the WD tools program without it dropping off the bus and giving me errors.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA

koitsu

MVM

Please just do what I asked if you could; don't bother with WD's utilities. There's logic in what I've requested.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Well I can try again.. I would prefer to test the drive in the system but the drive for some reason does not show up..

I had an issue on a samsung drive that went out.. very picky.. new drive from Amazon is here as well.