All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
EmilGolen2
join:2000-09-25
Barrington, IL

EmilGolen2

Speed is deteriorating, package availability?

This summer I switched over from 6m DSL to 12m ADSL2. It worked for a while but I kept getting slow sync rates so I was dropped down to 6m. Actually I was pleased, they said why should you pay for 12m when you're not going to get it reliably, I appreciate that . In general I was syncing at ~6033 as I remember it, no complaints. On and off I would check the sync and it would be way down in the 4000 range plus while watching Netflix the connection would drop.

Recently it got real bad, my speedtest results where in the 1m range. Some of that I resolved by checking from Chicago, (I think the Arlington Heights site has issues). I called AT&T and they said the line is not right, we'll send some one out. Of course as Murphy's Law states right before something is to be checked for errant operation, it will work perfectly. It was perfect two days prior to them coming out, sync'ed at 6011.

Now after service the best I'm getting is 5300, argh.
Two guys looked at it, the guy on the inside said the lines are good but I had a filter that was marginal which he swapped out. At this point the sync was at 4900, He also set up for someone to check the outside line, he was there in a few hours . I'm now sitting at 5300.

Question, are these guys fighting something further upstream that no matter what they do they can't fix?
Seems the "new" filter has more attenuation than the old.
My downstream SN Margin is 7.1 (NVG510) which from looking around is quite low.

Don't know what to do at this point.
I considered the more elaborate service which I think has a fiber link but it's not available to me.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

a couple of questions....

Do you have regular dialtone?

How was it installed when you switched from the dsl to adsl? are you just plugging into a jack? Did someone run and new line directly outside? wondering if you have newer or older home wiring
EmilGolen2
Barrington, IL

EmilGolen2

Dialtone is good and consistent.
I did a self install but the NVG510 had a problem so a tech came out with a new one, all was good.
I do have a direct line to the modem which I recently re-ran, although the tech said there was nothing wrong with my inside wiring.

Thanks for the reply but since I posted I decided to switch providers. As luck goes my down speeds have been increasing lately, got 5.5M yesterday. My up speeds however are still half what they used to be, 0.36m.
I'm seeing a huge amount of FEC and CRC errors. Over a few days my FEC's have been in the 100K's!, CRC's in the 10K's!.
Something is wrong with the line and I've lost all faith in it getting corrected, that's why I'm moving on.
Thanks

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

there is probably and outside issue if you are seeing a lot of crc and fec that could be bad copper or your signal going somewhere else(Bridge tap)
EmilGolen2
Barrington, IL

EmilGolen2

Especially on the upload side.
It's half of what it used to be.
Today with the warm weather I synced 6015 down and 694 up. Speedtest 5.67M down 0.36 up.
Thanks for replying, but I'm changing on Saturday.
I'm keeping it for a month just to make sure the changeover is good however.
I'm curious to see if the down sync holds with very cold weather coming in 2 days.
EmilGolen2

EmilGolen2

In the last 25 minutes I got 2503/2677 FEC down/up and 1/226 CRC down/up errors.