spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aa2k

join:2000-10-06
Damascus, MD

VOIP wireless sip phone over VPN (SSG5) /laptop question..

Hi,
Not sure if this for this forum or the VOIP forum, here it goes..
this is the plan.. my cousin is traveling to Southamerica for a couple of weeks, for security reasons (banking, etc) he will be connecting his laptop via VPN to my home juniper SSG5 setup (using Shrew software client) to direct all the internet connection tunneled via encrypted vpn - which works great.

Now, we were thinking on using a compact wireless sip phone -for easy travel - (with a local phone number already registered with anveo service) to use thru the vpn tunnel created/connected on the laptop (from whatever location the wireless connection is available (starbucks, other coffee shop, etc)).. is it possible to have this phone to use the tunnel from the laptop to make calls if needed? the shrew software cant be installed on the phone of course so the question here would be to use the laptop as the connection bridge..

Or, maybe this is not needed and just taking the phone will work there if connected on a wireless connection even if the phone number registered on it is a USA phone number?

ideas? is this question more specific for the VOIP forum?

Thanks!

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:17

said by aa2k:

is it possible to have this phone to use the tunnel from the laptop to make calls if needed? the shrew software cant be installed on the phone of course so the question here would be to use the laptop as the connection bridge..

Without experience with the particular said phone, couldn't say definititively. So long as the phone could "bridge"
to the laptop, and the laptop is configured to route the SIP traffic to the VPN, this is fully within technical feasibility.
Teleworkers and WFH types do this regularly using a VPN connection and a softphone software on their laptop.

said by aa2k:

Or, maybe this is not needed and just taking the phone will work there if connected on a wireless connection even if the phone number registered on it is a USA phone number?

Again, without experience with particular said phone, couldn't tell you definitively. How soon is the trip? If you have
some time, rig it up and try at a friend's house / WIFI,or at the local starbucks, and thru your SSG and see what results you get.

My 00000010bits.

Regards

aa2k

Damascus, MD

3 edits

Click for full size
Figure 1
Click for full size
Figure 2.
Hi again,

Thanks for the great ideas and tips!..

I have done some progress, this is what I have tried and it works perfectly...

I converted the a laptop to be its own hotspot by adding a second usb wireless adapter with its own SSID
- First, I connect to the VPN sending all traffic thru the first (internal) wireless connection.
- The wireless phone connects to the usb adapter's SSID, then I share the internet connection from the internal wireless.
- Phone connects and goes on line thru the VPN! - ok done.. (see figure 1)

On a second try I tested and probably simpler way.. was to just install Yate software (full installation that includes server and client - free software btw) - I got a google voice number and configure this software to use such number and connected a headset with mic to the laptop.
I connect to my VPN and then I can call and receive call just fine by sending all the traffic thru the vpn connection, - ok done (see figure 2)

All this works just fine as long as I have a good/reliable connection like Starbucks, coffee shop, etc... that I can use...
But, here is where the challenge comes, if I have no access to any of these places I want to be able to use a small unit (hotspot) from AT&T or T-Mobile (unlocked), get a a sim card from the local place and run a vpn thru this... I tested a ZTE mf61 T-Mobile 4g hotspot but the vpn wont complete(there is no handshake and it times out) - firewall at the unit is disabled btw so nothing internal on the unit that prevents the vpn handshake -, it seems like ports are blocked by T-Mobile even though the specs of the unit reads it has VPN support, called T-Mobile and they have no clue and unable to help... so I am not sure if this is a T-Mobile network thing or the actual unit (see Figure 2 for added hotspot possibility...).

Does anyone know of a hotspot unit that can be unlocked and accept vpn connections (IPSec/L2TP) - (pass through I would think)...? of course We would get this unit from eBay or some place like that w/o contract...

Thanks!

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:17
reply to aa2k

Could try running a packet capture while on the 4g dongle and/or on the SSG and see what's happening.

Otherwise, not sure about your question of an "unlocked" hotspot unit. Truth to tell, it's the wireless provider's
network, and they can do just about anything they want on their network...

Otherwise, sounds like what you originally'll work without issue. Enjoy!

Regards

Expand your moderator at work

aa2k

Damascus, MD
reply to HELLFIRE

Re: VOIP wireless sip phone over VPN (SSG5) /laptop question..

Yes, got it working as per my original question.. thanks so much...
When I said "unlocked" hotspot unit I am referring to just unlock the hotspot piece of equipment (in this case the ZTE MF61) like you would do with a cell phone so it can be used with other carriers (sim cards), that's all, almost any unit out there can be unlocked but sadly a VPN cant be completed unless the carrier (in this case T-Mobile) would allow it.. it seems like..

I will try some packet capture, maybe I can pin point the exact issue but my bet is the carrier...

Thanks!