guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9

Re: Netflix OpenConnect

I understand all of this, maybe I'm just dumbing down the responses unintentionally.

NetFlix if one believes the reports is becoming the single biggest source of traffic by volume:

»www.nbcnews.com/technolo ··· h-119517

The issue is there are NO single company that can provided the bandwidth NetFlix is consuming, there now with amazon but even that will run out of steam .. so that why there looking to make direct connections to major cable and telco's

»www.businessinsider.com/ ··· -2012-11

The entire model of peering is somewhat in question, it just happens to be Netflix that has the traffic to push the issue because the number of effected subscribers and the raw data required to be transited.

Another issue, is the actual networks ( internet ), are mostly owned by cable or telco's and they have no interest in having to support Netflix as its a direct competitor
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

I dunno about most people since I'm not sure if Netflix uses more than one CDN but my streams use Akamai which are directly connected to the Verizon's backbone.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Netflix does use more than one, Level3, Akamai and Amazon off the top of my head.

But these company's all have limited peering to Verizon, it may be quite large peering, but when you have a couple hundred thousand streams going the peering chokes.

The hole thing about OpenConnect is that NetFlix is running out of company's to act as distribution points, look at the Amazon link, there losing almost a billion a year and Netflix will be out of option as all these peering points are realizing its not making them money