·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to stevek1949

MVM

to stevek1949

Re: Brand names

said by stevek1949:

I am not sure that we didn't contribute to the downfall of quality to ourselves.

I agree but only to a degree.

There used to be a range of quality, If you wanted a disposable cheap tool they were available as well as more expensive high quality tools. Each manufacture brought a different set of trade-offs and values to the party. Now where brand names are just marketing terms and there are only a few different companies that actually manufacture tools that is no longer the case. We now have Detroit inspired name-plate engineering on a massive scale. Used to be limited to Detroit automobiles in the 50-60 but now is pervasive.

/tom

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

There used to be a range when people would buy a range. Range of products started to disappear when people started to buy the cheapest in droves.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by telco_mtl:

I know for hand tools im not a huge fan of stanley anymore but Chanell lock still seems great. Old appliance names like RCA, Sunbeam, GE, Moffat, Litton, Inglis, etc are all made by others under licence these days, so brands dont mean anything anymore in consumer grade product...

Actually, GE makes everything themselves although some of it is made offshore. They have recently started making several lines of new high-end products at appliance Park in Louisville that are receiving excellent reviews.
said by CylonRed:

There used to be a range when people would buy a range. Range of products started to disappear when people started to buy the cheapest in droves.

I personally think the reason people started buying cheaper products is because they all performed the same. If you're going to have to throw it away anyway you might just as well by the cheaper one.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by Msradell:

said by telco_mtl:

I know for hand tools im not a huge fan of stanley anymore but Chanell lock still seems great. Old appliance names like RCA, Sunbeam, GE, Moffat, Litton, Inglis, etc are all made by others under licence these days, so brands dont mean anything anymore in consumer grade product...

Actually, GE makes everything themselves although some of it is made offshore. They have recently started making several lines of new high-end products at appliance Park in Louisville that are receiving excellent reviews.

i dont know what you mean, for years large GE appliances were produced under licence by Camco, now MABE is their big supplier. the MABE dryer plant in montreal (makes GE dryers) is moving production to mexico
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach

Premium Member

said by telco_mtl:

said by Msradell:

said by telco_mtl:

i dont know what you mean, for years large GE appliances were produced under licence by Camco, now MABE is their big supplier. the MABE dryer plant in montreal (makes GE dryers) is moving production to mexico

Probably going down there to be neighbors with BRP
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to telco_mtl

Premium Member

to telco_mtl
said by telco_mtl:

said by Msradell:

said by telco_mtl:

I have had such horrific luck with GE appliances that I have vowed never to buy one again. Just terrible quality IMHO... every single one I've ever purchased has had major issues.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

I have had such horrific luck with GE appliances that I have vowed never to buy one again. Just terrible quality IMHO... every single one I've ever purchased has had major issues.

i know how you feel, 2 months in and our mexican mabe ge washer broke all the mounts for the tub