uniqs
share rss forum feed

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

OS - difference between normal restart and WU restart

I have quite a few Foxconn boxes in client hands. They are the NT-3500, NT3550, and NT3700. (AMD e350/ e450 Nano boxes) Slight differences in the hardware, and each model has its own firmware. I even have a couple of identical boxes running different versions of firmware. All running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

All of them, and I mean every single one, is experiencing the same issue. If Windows Update prompts for a reboot, and the "restart" button is pressed on the popup window, they all shut down, then hang on the bios screen starting back up. And this isn't just one particular update, it occurs with ANY windows update that prompts for a reboot.

I've been able to consistently reproduce the problem. I can click postpone on the popup box, then use the normal start menu - reboot, or I can reboot from task manager, or I can use shutdown /r at the command line, and they all reboot just fine. (and the update is applied properly) The problem only occurs if that WU popup box "reboot" is clicked.

I finally just wrote a script to avoid the problem, but not knowing the cause is still bugging me. Anyone have any ideas?

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

Hmm, I have a few of those on my bench at work, but I can't recall noticing that happening with them. Then again, I haven't messed with them in a while (low-priority project). I'll fire them up tomorrow and see if they have the same issue. It definitely would be a good thing to know about .

I take it yours are running 7 SP1?
--
KI6RIT

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Camelot One

Something to look at...Boot log switch?
Found in msconfig-Boot-Boot log

It may show a driver that it stops at, even though it maybe a specifc call function of the reboot WU is using. Just a thought. It may highlight something or not??
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to n_w95482

Win7 x64 Ultimate w/SP1 yes.

I'll look into the boot log. Thanks for the suggestion.