Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 edit

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Landlord question (neighbor drama).

The landlord and her husband were out this morning shaking our problem neighbor down for rent. This is the same neighbor that wanted to use my power while his power was shut off. He is also always trying to borrow tools and other things from me and the answer is no. I also suspect this guy is stealing cable. The scene outside today was not pretty.

My rent is paid in full each month on time. I am wondering from the landlords on this forum on how to avoid getting dragged into their problems. Moving is not an option right now.

I am wondering if the fact the landlord did not knock on our door is a good sign we are in good standing with the landlord.

I cannot wait for them to get evicted.

Edit: My power was never shut off, I always pay my electric bill on time. It was the problem neighbor that had his power shut off and he wanted to use my power. And he helped himself to water (on the landlord's dime) to fill and drain his kiddie pool last summer.

I made an error when I said my power was shut off.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

If you are paying your rent on time, abiding by the terms of the lease, and are otherwise being a good tenant, you should have nothing to worry about.

As far as eviction for your neighbor... don't hold your breath. It's a long and frustrating process. Don't blame your landlord for their perceived slow action on the matter... the wheels of justice spin slowly as they say...
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

Zach to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
As a LL with quite a few rentals, I never unnecessary bother a good, paying tenant. Tenants who are following the lease have a right to peaceful enjoyment of the property which the LL must respect. The fact the LL didn't bother you should be taken as a sign the LL has no problem(s) with you. Staying out of the problems with the neighbors is as simple as minding your own business when it comes to issues that don't interfere with your peaceful enjoyment of your rented premises. If their actions are having an adverse effect on the premises or your tenancy, a discussion with the LL would be in order. Otherwise, keep your head down and rent paid.

Edit to add:

Definitely agree with XXXXXXXXXXX1 See Profile about the snail's pace of the eviction process. If there is one thing that most bad tenants know by heart, is their rights as tenants to leach as long as the court system will permit.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I am wondering if the fact the landlord did not knock on our door is a good sign we are in good standing with the landlord.

Your landlord would likely let you know if there's a problem, but if there are any issues, don't wait for them to contact you.

If you're not sure of your standing with the landlord, ask him if there are any lingering problems or if he has advice for remaining in good standing. I got this question every once in a while, and if the tenant's file looked good, I would just tell them to keep paying the rent, call right away about clogged drains or other problems, and don't bother the neighbors.
Formeister
join:2000-10-28
Somers, CT

Formeister to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

...This is the same neighbor that wanted to use my power while mine was shut off...

You should have charged him .50 cents on the dollar for using what you didn't have.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

how to avoid getting dragged into their problems.

Huh? What? Just mind your own business.

Regarding dealings with your neighbor, just remember that no one can take advantage of you without your permission.
averagedude
join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA

averagedude to Zach

to Zach
said by Zach:

As a LL with quite a few rentals, I never unnecessary bother a good, paying tenant. Tenants who are following the lease have a right to peaceful enjoyment of the property which the LL must respect. The fact the LL didn't bother you should be taken as a sign the LL has no problem(s) with you. Staying out of the problems with the neighbors is as simple as minding your own business when it comes to issues that don't interfere with your peaceful enjoyment of your rented premises. If their actions are having an adverse effect on the premises or your tenancy, a discussion with the LL would be in order. Otherwise, keep your head down and rent paid.

Edit to add:

Definitely agree with XXXXXXXXXXX1 See Profile about the snail's pace of the eviction process. If there is one thing that most bad tenants know by heart, is their rights as tenants to leach as long as the court system will permit.

See bold above.

When I was over seeing properties, I all ways told the tenant(s) that if they never wanted to see me again until the lease was done - all they had to do was pay rent on time and not cause any problems. I would respect their privacy if they respected the property.
All my tenants appreciated not being bothered...except for 2 who taught me all about the eviction process.

So, if your not seeing the LL, then all is good.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Zach

MVM

to Zach
said by Zach:

I'm not going to argue about deadbeats who use the system to their advantage. But don't forget that often laws like that are in place to protect against former abuse coming from the other direction. I'm sure that if those slow turning wheels of justice weren't there, many landlords would kick out a tenant at a moment's notice for no valid (or currently legal) reason.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

1 recommendation

hortnut to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I also suspect this guy is stealing cable.

I am wondering from the landlords on this forum on how to avoid getting dragged into their problems.

Edit: And he helped himself to water (on the landlord's dime) to fill and drain his kiddie pool last summer.

You state that you do not wish to become involved, but must question your motives based on the above 2 comments regarding cable and using water to fill a kiddie pool.

For this reader, it comes across that you are monitoring these neighbors rather closely for someone that wishes to not be involved.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve

said by hortnut:

For this reader, it comes across that you are monitoring these neighbors rather closely for someone that wishes to not be involved.

For this reader, it appears that he's an attentive resident of his neighborhood who pays attention to what presents itself to him. One doesn't have to spy on a neighbor or really even try very hard to get a sense of what kind of person they are. It's colloquially referred to as "osmosis".
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
said by cdru:

I'm not going to argue about deadbeats who use the system to their advantage.

Then don't... Because there are many of them out there and they make life difficult for both landlords and good tenants alike. Zach See Profile is absolutely right... most of those deadbeats know how to milk the court system well enough leach off their landlord for far too long, causing unnecessary aggravation and higher rents for legitimate tenants.

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I cannot wait for them to get evicted.

Eviction in MA is a very long and often somewhat expensive process... this state has the mindset that the tenant always has the benefit of the doubt and most, if not all, housing laws are geared to protect/favor them from an eviction point of view.

Our family business has a few rental properties in MA. Many many stories, but in particular we had one tenant recently who could not get his stuff together. He was late every month, we'd cut him slack and he spent about 6 months being 1-2 months behind in rent.

Long story short is we finally came to the conclusion this needed to end.

We were in a month to month situation with him (which is default in MA) and he was at least 2 months behind when we began... it was a full 145 days from the point that the eviction process was started until the day the sheriff we had to hire and moving/storage people we had to hire showed up to empty the apartment. We were too soft on him, it cost us time and court fees each time... if you're cut throat you can make it happen in maybe 60 days...

Your LL will be very happy with you as long as you pay your rent on time and call them only when there is a problem with the property itself--believe me, we're happy to get calls when a water heater is dripping vs. "there's knee deep water in the basement now... yeah I noticed a drip, but I didn't want to bother you!"

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to XXXXXXXXXXX1

MVM

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

Then don't... Because there are many of them out there and they make life difficult for both landlords and good tenants alike. Zach 58 is absolutely right... most of those deadbeats know how to milk the court system well enough leach off their landlord for far too long, causing unnecessary aggravation and higher rents for legitimate tenants.

I think you misunderstood me. I was agreeing with him. I wasn't going to argue that deadbeats exist. They definitely do. I was just also pointing out that there are bad landlords who would otherwise make good tenants suffer if it were not for those same laws that the deadbeats manipulate to their advantage.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
eviction will take awhile in many states.

you can always call Comcast if you suspect hes stealing cable. They will investigate such reports to verify if its true as I know they have ways of finding out. MSOs hate thieves because they can cause signal issues, in fact the potential TCs caused by someone stealing cable can cost them more than the loss of revenue of the person not being paying customer.
Phillip
I Need A Nap
join:2004-12-21
Hatboro, PA

Phillip to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Most leases have a utility clause that stipulates that the tenet has 5 days from the shutoff to get the power back on before the apartment is seized for abandonment.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

What's best is to not have any communications with your neighbor and not talk about it with your landlord (Unless problems are brought to you by the neighbor).

You pay the rent, you don't complain, you're ideal... except for all the home improvement stuff you're trying to do