spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

achalupka

join:2003-09-22
Ottawa, ON

[Voip.ms] Issues with Obi100 and voip.ms?

Just picked up an Obi100 and setup a voip.ms account. So far, I am unimpressed. I would say at least 20-30% of my outgoing calls fail.

I'm selecting the number from the directory on my phone, and letting it auto-dial. When it goes off-hook, I hear dial tone, and then the digit string. Often, at least 20% of the time, I just hear dead air after that.

My Obi has a record of the outgoing call, but the voip.ms site does not. So, it appears that there is an issue on the Obi?

The only thing I have configured on my Obi is the ProxyServer / RegistrarServer (montreal2.voip.ms) and my SIP credentials.

Is there anything else I need to do? How do I debug this further?

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
One basic thing is to use your own finger, don't use the auto-dialer.

Push the buttons yourself, a little slower than the auto-dialer would.

How does that work out?

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:29
reply to achalupka
On a failed call, when you log into the OBi, is the number in history correct? What steps are shown, e.g. ringing, connected, etc?

During the dead air, what does Call Status show?

You might test the OBi with another provider, or VoIP.ms with another device (e.g. softphone), to see whether you have the same issue.

For serious debugging, the OBi has the ability to send a copy of all SIP traffic to your PC, where you can analyze it with e.g. Wireshark. Under SP1 Service, set X_SipDebugOption to Log All Messages and under Device Admin, set Syslog Server to the local IP address of your PC.

lilarry
Premium
join:2010-04-06
reply to achalupka
On your router make sure SIP-ALG is disabled. This is often the culprit. (Usually it is disabled by default, but Netgear and I think a couple of others often ship with SIP-ALG enabled.). Also try opening UDP ports 10000-20000 on your router.

lilarry
Premium
join:2010-04-06
reply to achalupka
Also, I am wondering what Voip.ms server are you on. Lately, on occasion, we've had problems with outbound calls on Chicago and New York servers, with outbound calls not going through and not even showing on the CDR. Grandstream phones (which we use) display "No Response" on these calls. I am assuming these servers may be reaching capacity by the way they are behaving (but that is only an assumption on my part - I don't know the real reason).

zapattack

join:2012-07-02
CANADA
reply to achalupka
Try the VOIP.MS phone book. Four digit star codes will also give you the ability to modify your outgoing caller-id and present friendly names for incoming calls.

achalupka

Ottawa, ON
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

One basic thing is to use your own finger, don't use the auto-dialer.

Push the buttons yourself, a little slower than the auto-dialer would.

How does that work out?

I don't think I've ever dialed the digits manually, so I can't really comment on that. Even when I am not using the directory on my phone, I always "pre-dial" before pressing "talk".

I've since tried it a few times, and no issues here. But really?! This is a serious step backwards in technology if I have to manually dial each number I want to call...

achalupka

Ottawa, ON

1 edit
reply to Stewart
said by Stewart:

On a failed call, when you log into the OBi, is the number in history correct? What steps are shown, e.g. ringing, connected, etc?

Yes, the number in the history is correct. I'm at work now, so I can't say what steps it shows - it definitely didn't show a ringing step, though.

And it never occurred to me to check the call status during the dead air, I would always hang up and then check the OBi. Will keep this in mind the next time I see this.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
said by achalupka:

And it never occurred to me to check the call status during the dead air, I would always hang up and then check the OBi. Will keep this in mind the next time I see this.

A few months back I had ported one of my phone numbers from Primus to voip.ms. For my ATA I am using the Obi202. On the ported DID I was using the toronto2 server and things worked well for 1 week then I started to get issues -- so I changed servers to montreal and my issues continued -- they advised me to use the Atlanta server and that worked for a little while when issues returned. So I ported my DID to CallCentric and so far I have not had any issues of whatsoever nature -- call quality is outstanding!

Personally speaking I do not think its your Obi unit -- I speculate that voip.ms has resource issues [growing business] and they are having a hard time adjusting to all the new business coming their way.

I do not believe its up to the "client" to have to play musical chairs --- everything should just work. I for one am glad I switched to CallCentric --- I place a high value on reliability and consistency with very little effort.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

achalupka

Ottawa, ON
reply to lilarry
said by lilarry:

Also, I am wondering what Voip.ms server are you on.

I'm on montreal2.voip.ms.

I see another recent thread, where people have been complaining about frequently "losing" their registration on this server. I'm wondering if I'm hitting the same issue?

dirt_diver

join:2012-12-21
Louisville, KY

1 edit
Check the Issue Tracker on the VoIP.ms main page after you log in. Montreal has been having some audio/ring issues and I think it is still open. You may want to submit a ticket as well.

achalupka

Ottawa, ON
reply to Stewart
said by Stewart:

Happened again last night. One time, the dead air lasted at least 30 sec before it finally connected and started ringing the phone.

The other time, the dead air continued until I got a beeping tone - presumably this was from my ATA telling me the call timed out.

In both cases, according to my OBi, I was still registered with montreal2.voip.ms. The call status showed it was trying/calling:

Number of Active Calls: 1
Call 1

Terminal 1 Terminal 2
Terminal ID PHONE1 SP1
State trying calling
Peer Name
Peer Number 1613******* 1613*******
Start Time 23:39:35 23:39:35
Duration 00:00:05 00:00:05
Direction Outbound Outbound
Peer RTP Address 0.0.0.0:0
Local RTP Address 172.16.69.3:16626
RTP Transport UDP
Audio Codec tx=; rx=
RTP Packetization (ms) tx=0; rx=0
RTP Packet Count tx=0; rx=0
RTP Byte Count tx=0; rx=0

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
said by achalupka:

One time, the dead air lasted at least 30 sec before it finally connected and started ringing the phone.

The other time, the dead air continued until I got a beeping tone - presumably this was from my ATA telling me the call timed out.

It's not your Obi100.

What you are experiencing are symptoms of a resource issue at the POP, and VoIP.MS is currently working on increasing capacity and reliability.