join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Comcast

1 edit

How to access the recovery partition on a Dell Inspiron 5720

Hi,

My issue is that I don't know what the key combination is to access the recovery partition on my new Dell Inspiron 5720 laptop.

I've tried Control-F11, F11, F2, F8, F1, F10, and none of those work. I'm not sure where to look for the correct information either.

It's not urgent or anything given my computer is in a functioning state, but I'd like to have this information for later.

chans

join:2003-05-27
Philadelphia, PA

»support.dell.com/support/topics/···=dhs,try this link

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to XANAVirus

Supposedly:

F8 [Advanced Boot Options] > Repair Your Computer > [ENTER] > [LANGUAGE ETC.] > [Log in as a a user with admin privileges] > Dell Factory Image Restore

XANAVirus
Premium
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Comcast

Wow, that's not intuitive at all. My last computer (now dead) had a key combination that you could press to prompt booting directly into the recovery partition.

This one it seems you have to boot into a bunch of different other menus first before you can get to the recovery partition.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

The F8 menu is actually provided by the Windows bootloader and not by the BIOS or something *before* a low-level part of the OS operating. It's counter-intuitive and quite broken in a lot of ways (the most common I've encountered is where a hard disk goes back and returns read errors for sectors associated with the recovery partition/image), but it's the only way Dell was able to get it to work -- or they could have just given people DVDs... *sigh* :-)

Usually with Dell systems the very first thing I do before booting into Windows is copy off the \Dell\image\factory.wim file to some other media (USB, CD, etc.) so that recovery, if the hard disk in question fails, the drive can be replaced and a simple 3-line script can be run to reimage the new drive (sans the recovery partition). Assuming the new drive is called C:, all one has to do is this (assuming a WinPE environment with imagex.exe and factory.wim copied to it):

diskpart
  select disk 0
  create partition primary align=2048
  format fs=NTFS label="OS" quick
  active
  assign letter="C"
  exit
X:\imagex /apply X:\factory.wim 1 C:
C:\Windows\System32\bcdboot C:\Windows
bootsect /nt60 C:

--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

XANAVirus
Premium
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Comcast

Yeah, what I don't get is, what's with all the push towards recovery partitions as opposed to recovery disks?

It's not very smart, given this is a laptop.
If the HD fails (which isn't going to happen for some time given this is a newly-minted computer), then you can't restore to factory condition.

I make my own partition backups, after experiencing catastrophic HD failure (my reason for a new laptop), and store them on a few places.

Of course, you can make your own disks (which is what I'll be doing as soon as I find some DVDs), but that's counter-intuitive - if you're going to do that, Dell might as well have scrapped a recovery partition and just made some disks for you anyways.

Who thought a recovery partition on the same HD as the Windows install was a good idea anyways?

Errors in the sectors could lead to damage to the recovery partition, like you said, but also viruses too and malware messing with the MBR.
And in addition, the recovery partition is completely wide open to Windows and isn't write-protected either, so anything done in Windows could potential ruin Dell's sole restore setup.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

said by XANAVirus:

Yeah, what I don't get is, what's with all the push towards recovery partitions as opposed to recovery disks?

There's only 3 reasons I can think of:

1. Another failed attempt at anti-piracy; it's easier to copy or distribute a DVD in the minds of non-technical idiots,
2. Decreases costs/expenses of DVDs -- sure, they probably cost Dell half a cent each, but you have to consider the costs of having a relationship with a DVD supplier/manufacturer, shipping/handling of all the discs (to assembly plants, not end customers) and so on,
3. Added convenience in situations where it works -- I will admit I've successfully reimaged some Dell laptops in the past using the F8 method (kids who turned off their anti-virus software, sigh), and for situations like that, it's great.

You can still get recovery DVDs from Dell -- you just have to call them and ask for them. I don't remember if there's a fee associated with it or not.

In the case of a hardware failure, the vendor (Dell) expects you to contact them. Support is one of the things you pay for when you buy a product from a vendor. If your mouse stops working, your speakers start acting weird, or even for things like "I can't figure out how to get Office to run", contact Dell. Honest/seriously. These companies operate off the mentality that most consumers lack technical knowledge (which is true), and even those who claim they do often do not (or do it wrong), so their assumption is somewhat valid. But for folks like myself, this nonsense just gets in the way of getting things done.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl

join:2000-01-19
Blue Springs, MO

said by koitsu:

You can still get recovery DVDs from Dell -- you just have to call them and ask for them. I don't remember if there's a fee associated with it or not.

I recently acquired a Dell laptop that the previous owner had installed the preview release of Win8. It had rewritten the bootloader so the F8 method would not work, even though the recovery partition was still there. I contacted Dell support through chat and explained what I was doing and after submitting a transfer of ownership form, they sent me the DVD at no charge. IIRC it was shipped "next day".
--
IUOE Local 101

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to koitsu

said by koitsu:

said by XANAVirus:

There's only 3 reasons I can think of:

I totally agree what you say. But I suspect it's more #2 to increase profitability.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben