how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CaptSkinny

join:2013-01-13

3 edits

[TWC] "Your Digital Adapter (DTA) needs to be Activated&quo

Short and sweet: I just received two DTAs from TWC yesterday. I activated them with TWC, but the power light still blinks red and the screen still says "Your Digital Adapter (DTA) needs to be Activated." What can cause this issue?

Details: When I first plugged in the DTAs they appeared to do a software update, then they showed the message "Your Digital Adapter (DTA) needs to be Activated". So I called the number on the screen and the computerized voice on the other end said, "Done. If you have issues after an hour call 1-800-...." Well, the message was still there after an hour and the light was still blinking red, so I called the number. The TWC phone tech tried a few things and eventually managed to reboot the DTA from her end, but it still came up with the "needs to be activated" message. She was at a loss, so here I am.

I've connected the DTA directly to my incoming cable line to rule out issues related to splitters or amps (all of which were previously installed by a TWC tech), but it made no difference. After looking through other threads here I made my way to the Diagnostic menu on the Cisco DTA and found:

Tuner Status > Tuned Frequency: 0.000
Tuner Status > Power Level (dBmV): -20.0
Tuner Status > Signal-to-Noise: 0.0 dB [in red]
Tuner Status > Lock Status: Unlocked [in red]

QPSK Status > Tuned Frequency: 90.500
QPSK Status > Lock Status: Locked [in green]
QPSK Status > Power Level (dBmV): -15.83 [in green]
QPSK Status > Signal-to-Noise: 34.0 dB

And, on the main diag page, the upper-right shows "Status: Brick"

What does "activating" a DTA consist of? I know TWC can talk to my DTAs because when I first plugged them in, the software was updated. What can I try next?

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

Re: [TWC] "Your Digital Adapter (DTA) needs to be Activated

said by CaptSkinny:

Short and sweet: I just received two DTAs from TWC yesterday. I activated them with TWC, but the power light still blinks red and the screen still says "Your Digital Adapter (DTA) needs to be Activated." What can cause this issue?

Details: When I first plugged in the DTAs they appeared to do a software update, then they showed the message "Your Digital Adapter (DTA) needs to be Activated". So I called the number on the screen and the computerized voice on the other end said, "Done. If you have issues after an hour call 1-800-...." Well, the message was still there after an hour and the light was still blinking red, so I called the number. The TWC phone tech tried a few things and eventually managed to reboot the DTA from her end, but it still came up with the "needs to be activated" message. She was at a loss, so here I am.

I've connected the DTA directly to my incoming cable line to rule out issues related to splitters or amps (all of which were previously installed by a TWC tech), but it made no difference. After looking through other threads here I made my way to the Diagnostic menu on the Cisco DTA and found:

Tuner Status > Tuned Frequency: 0.000
Tuner Status > Power Level (dBmV): -20.0
Tuner Status > Signal-to-Noise: 0.0 dB [in red]
Tuner Status > Lock Status: Unlocked [in red]

QPSK Status > Tuned Frequency: 90.500
QPSK Status > Lock Status: Locked [in green]
QPSK Status > Power Level (dBmV): -15.83 [in green]
QPSK Status > Signal-to-Noise: 34.0 dB

And, on the main diag page, the upper-right shows "Status: Brick"

What does "activating" a DTA consist of? I know TWC can talk to my DTAs because when I first plugged them in, the software was updated. What can I try next?

where are you located?

CaptSkinny

said by motorola870:

where are you located?

Portland, Maine. Looks like that was truncated from the subject line.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by CaptSkinny:

said by motorola870:

where are you located?

okay thanks I am in the Dallas area and our QSPK channel is 75.25MHz as I was making sure that there wasn't a second one activated in Dallas which runs on motorola stb boxes and now we are getting the Cisco HD DTA's which I am going to assume will be using uDTA encrytion mode.

motorola870

Arlington, TX
reply to CaptSkinny

said by CaptSkinny:

said by motorola870:

where are you located?

I will have to learn how to activate one myself once mine comes in the mail soon.

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to CaptSkinny

You can't unless you work for the company and have the proper tool.

Once the box is powered up with RF, it will take a update more then likely and stay "needs to be activated" until you call in and have a rep activate it.

CaptSkinny

1 edit

I have called to activate it, but the rep wasn't able to do it. She managed to reboot it, but not activate it. I'm trying to figure out whether there are any issues on my end before I insist the problem is on their side.

When I ask what activating consists of, what I'm trying to find out is whether activation is merely a configuration change on the TWC side, or requires a signal to be sent from TWC to my DTA to activate, etc. It will help me determine whether communication between the two points might be blocked somehow or another, and whether the diag info I showed can help determine whether communication is blocked.

Jabbu
Premium
reply to CaptSkinny

Call again, there are 2 different DTAs that require two different activation methods.

CaptSkinny

I will, but want to have as much information as possible, and rule out issues on my end, before I insist the problem is on their side.

For what it's worth, the rep I spoke to the first time did try two different methods of activation. I don't know about the second rep, she didn't say.

Jabbu
Premium
reply to CaptSkinny

2 things I would try, in this order.

1. Remove all splitters and have a solid line from pole to one DTA, see if it loads. If it fails:

2. If possible, connect DTA to cable coming from the pole, eliminating all interior wire and splitters and see if it loads.

Post results.

CaptSkinny

Thanks, Jabbu. Please see my first post for the results -- still fails.

Jabbu
Premium
reply to CaptSkinny

You still have to get a activation hit when you try those 2 avenues, if neither work, you need a service call. Your posted FDC at -15 is very week.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

I agree with Jabbu. The DTA requires an activation hit either automatically from the self install line, or from a manual hit from the billing system.

Hob

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium
join:2010-09-13
Irving, TX

2 edits

­­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­

Yes, that's how I got my digital adapter activated. And, bty, I had it on a splitter, when I called to activate it. And, after the manual hit from TWC agent, it took about 2 minutes before the picture came in.

I had to return my first HD DTA, model DCI 401 TWC2. Everything was working fine, I linked up the remote, and the TV, but after 10 minutes, the remote would not change the channels any longer, and all attempts to link the remote back to the TV would not work.

After working with Tech Support, no solution, except to take it back.

The second DTA is working fine.
--
A La Carte Cable Choice is the ONLY Choice I'm Interested in ! ! ! ROKU 2 XS (3100R) ~ TWC HD Digital Adapter DCI 401 TWC2

Edit: Changed Model #

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by Unbundled:

­­­­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­

Yes, that's how I got my digital adapter activated. And, bty, I had it on a splitter, when I called to activate it. And, after the manual hit from TWC agent, it took about 2 minutes before the picture came in.

I had to return my first HD DTA, model DCI 401 TWCZ. Everything was working fine, I linked up the remote, and the TV, but after 10 minutes, the remote would not change the channels any longer, and all attempts to link the remote back to the TV would not work.

After working with Tech Support, no solution, except to take it back.

The second DTA is working fine.

could not get the remote to pair with my TV so I am stuck using two remotes. Also I noticed in the instructions it is plainly said that some customers may need to use 2 different remotes to watch tv through the Digital adapter.

Also the digital adapter model for Motorola markets is the Technicolor DCI401TWC2 not DCI401 TWCZ I was like huh when I opened the digital adapter package and it had a box that was not a Cisco 170HD so I flipped it over and it said DCI401TWC2 and I looked up the DCI401 series adapters which seem real nice they have MPEG4 support and 1GHz tuning.

Unbundled
But When ? ?
Premium
join:2010-09-13
Irving, TX

said by motorola870:

could not get the remote to pair with my TV so I am stuck using two remotes. Also I noticed in the instructions it is plainly said that some customers may need to use 2 different remotes to watch tv through the Digital adapter.

Also the digital adapter model for Motorola markets is the Technicolor DCI401TWC2 not DCI401 TWCZ I was like huh when I opened the digital adapter package and it had a box that was not a Cisco 170HD so I flipped it over and it said DCI401TWC2 and I looked up the DCI401 series adapters which seem real nice they have MPEG4 support and 1GHz tuning.

I had the wrong model # listed.... it is, as you said DCI 401 TWC 2

I found the Technicolor web site, and it has the Model number generically as DCI 401n:

»www.technicolor.com/en/hi/digita···ay/cable

SD/HD MPEG-2/4 all-digital converter for North America

Technicolor, worldwide leader in Video technologies, introduces a new generation cable converter box designed to allow North American cable operators to reclaim analog bandwidth and address the needs for HD compatibility, affordability, and addressability.

Features

Decoding of SD/HD MPEG-2/4 digital cable TV signals to output via HDMI for digital TVs or RF output for legacy TVs

Remote controllable via RF

Simple analog-TV-type user experience

Self-installation by means of service discovery from in-band signaling per SCTE-65

Supports EAS per SCTE-18

Small compact design

--
A La Carte Cable Choice is the ONLY Choice I'm Interested in ! ! ! ROKU 2 XS (3100R) ~ TWC HD Digital Adapter DCI 401 TWC 2 by Technicolor