That would be against code.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to dennismurphy

said by dennismurphy:

Kinda mind-boggling to think that it was cheaper & easier to pull the wiring, take up a panel slot, etc. than to install a GFCI.... but very true.

I think you are missing the point. Code allowed the simplex outlet to be installed without GFCI protection. They spent extra to do it this way so there was not a GFCI on the water softener which could trip. It was considered insurance to not have a GFCI on the water softener and the potential tripping of a GFCI shutting it off. If it were still legal, I have no doubt that many would prefer this installation to having a GFCI on the water softener as witnessed by other posts in this thread.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by robbin:

said by dennismurphy:

Kinda mind-boggling to think that it was cheaper & easier to pull the wiring, take up a panel slot, etc. than to install a GFCI.... but very true.

I think you are missing the point. Code allowed the simplex outlet to be installed without GFCI protection. They spent extra to do it this way so there was not a GFCI on the water softener which could trip. It was considered insurance to not have a GFCI on the water softener and the potential tripping of a GFCI shutting it off. If it were still legal, I have no doubt that many would prefer this installation to having a GFCI on the water softener as witnessed by other posts in this thread.

I don't seem to have the nuisance factor of the gfci that others do .... I guess that's a good thing?

The good news (I guess) is that the regen cycle is so darned loud that I'd hear if it were still running when I wake up. Sounds like the ocean invaded the basement. When we bought this place last year, it scared the bejeebus out of me!