spc
Search similar:

uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

utility (fireplace/grill/BBQ/etc.) lighter

This morning it took me over 30 mins to light my fire (place) since all my lighters that were around decided to quit. A FlexiFlame was empty (I suspect leak) and two Click'n'Flames just wouldn't work, even though they seemed to have 1/2 and 1/3 of the lighter fluid left, respectively.

Is a there a good, reliable utility lighter that has a 3/4" - 1" flame in the max setting, and preferably it's refillable? Having wind resistance is good to have, but not absolutely necessary.

I looked around a bit, and I can get almost 10 generic lighters for a price of one Zippo. Are Zippos worth the extra money? Any store brand that's good?

TIA

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

zippos are good cause of the wick as opposed to generic lighters. but there is some upkeep over time, like the striker.

if you want a overkill solution, get a benzomatic quickfire. its about $30 and the size of a compact drill/driver.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
I use the Blazer Micro-Torch:
»www.blazerproducts.com/t ··· 207.html
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
A plain old Bernzomatic torch can't be beat.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to aurgathor

to aurgathor
Nothing beats 30$'s worth of BICs are costco.
The odds are, you'll have one that works.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I do have a 3 - 4 years old Costco card -- I don't think I can buy anything with that, but I can check out what they have. (and eat the free samples )

I actually have a torch, though not self igniting. Thinking a bit more of it, that would allow me to light my fire without paper, and with much less preparation.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru to aurgathor

MVM

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

Is a there a good, reliable utility lighter that has a 3/4" - 1" flame in the max setting, and preferably it's refillable? Having wind resistance is good to have, but not absolutely necessary.

I bought a box of a dozen boxes of these a long time ago. They are still good today.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to aurgathor

Mod

to aurgathor
Don't you have a propane torch for plumbing work? Get a sparker for welding, use it to light the torch, and then use the torch to light the fireplace. Either that or get a refillable butane torch something like what DataDoc See Profile posted. I always keep a sparker around as I don't trust the built-in ones to work reliably.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

OK, it's a Benzomatic TS3000!

It's a bit big, but what the heck.