BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Paul416

Re: Pirates crap

1- Pirating cost more money in the past. Unless they were very good friends, people often asked you money for the copy. (price of the media + an extra for the time) I'm sure it limited the amount of illegal copies. Today with the Internet it is free and you don't need to buy a media for each thing you download.

2- Making copies was slow. Copying cassettes was somewhat long and you wouldn't want to make a copy of a copy because of the quality loss. So to make 10 copies of 1 cassette, it would take you 10 hours or more. Even the first CD writers were expensive and slow.

On the internet downloading an album can take about 5 minutes, more or less, depending on your Internet connection and the quality. BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! All the people who downloaded it can also share it and in a few hours, thousands of people now have the full album.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

And the problem is that the copyright owner only sees a thief (aka "pirate") getting something for nothing--meaning he, the copyright owner, is "losing out on money he could have gotten", when mostly the "pirate" typically falls into two major categories: (a) those who weren't going to buy anything regardless (no money lost at all) and (b) those who like to buy before they try (so the copyright owner is really getting money that he would have lost out on). Altogether, the copyright owner makes more money from "piracy" than he "loses".
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

BigBlarg

Longueuil, QC

You forgot the most popular group :
(c) Those who don't give a fuck and download everything.

(because it's the case of A LOT of people in (a). Many are interested in the product and would have bought it if piracy wasn't an option. )

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

Your (c) group is just a sub-group of (a)--people with nothing better to do and believe that he with the most by the time he dies wins (wins what I don't know, but I don't really care either). The percentage who pirate as an alternative to buying isn't even significant. By and large people believe in paying a fair price for something when they're allowed to.
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

BigBlarg

Longueuil, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by NotTheMama:

Your (c) group is just a sub-group of (a)--people with nothing better to do and believe that he with the most by the time he dies wins (wins what I don't know, but I don't really care either). The percentage who pirate as an alternative to buying isn't even significant. By and large people believe in paying a fair price for something when they're allowed to.

Well... IMO, group A could be separated into 2 groups, and they're different enough to not be considered sub groups.

Like I already said :
- Those won't don't give a fuck. (May or may not have the money to buy)

The other group would be :
- Those you would buy it but don't have the money. (like students or people with low income). These guys may start buying your stuff legally once they get a good job.