share rss forum feed

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to DocLarge

Re: Configuring Trunking Between ESXi 5 server and CISCO Switch

I don't "Do" documentation... (job (ob)security)

Maybe not in a 1, 2, 3... but everything is there in the previous posts. Starting from system install, the switch port had to be setup to allow it on the network -- installed from CD/USB, it'll ask basic questions about your network setup for the management interface. (I've never paid enough attention to the installer to remember if it asks for a vlan during setup. I netboot the installer so I have to be untagged.) You could have the switchport already setup for trunking -- native vlan being for the management interface, and tagged vlans for various VMs, etc.

From there everything is done from vcenter (add host) / viclient (direct to host.) Create any additional (tagged/untagged) networks on vSwitch0. Create any additional vSwitch's necessary for your setup.

Then configure your storage systems... local, NFS, iSCSI, fibre channel... I have iSCSI in my environment, so there's another entire book of steps I have to go through to get the storage set up; most of it not within vmware.

Then give it some VMs...

(I have 90% of this automated from an installer script. No, you cannot have that script.)

DocLarge
Premium
join:2004-09-08
kudos:1

Lol @ "No you can't have the script"

DocLarge
Premium
join:2004-09-08
kudos:1
reply to cramer

Lol @ "No you can't have the script"

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to cramer

said by cramer:

job (ob)security

Or negligence, when you get hit by a bus and the new guy doesnt know what to do.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

Heh. It's more a job of "we don't know what he does, but for God's sake, you want him doing it." My coworkers are very happy I'm doing what I do; even if I documented all of it, they wouldn't want to do it.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to TomS_

I've always told my boss that if the "new" guy can't figure out my notes and documentation then he picked the wrong "new" guy. I won't waste my time writing up SOP manuals and step by step instructions on how I do my job.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK

Haha yes. The test of a true engineer is if they can reverse engineer what already exists.

I happen to agree. Except in two cases:

•Where a specific procedure should be followed in order to achieve a certain consistent result
•Where the equipment may be so obscure that any regular engineer, no matter how good they are, may simply have not come across it

But otherwise time is too short and there are far more interesting things to be doing other than documentation (say all engineers I am sure.)

Although I will concede one thing, in my current job I handle circuit documentation quite religiously. We deal with an absolute mountain of circuits now that its impossible to expect anyone to remember.

Side note:

When I hired people to replace me at my former work place I used a lab scenario to work out just how clued in they were. I configured a couple of routers and a switch and introduced a couple of errors that meant certain devices could ping each other but others couldnt, and the candidates had to work out why and implement the fixes. One guy took about an hour before I just had to give up and give him the answers (yeah I actually gave him that long...), and another guy worked it out on his own in about 5 minutes.

And when I say a couple I really do mean a couple, 2 to be precise. One was a simple subnet mask mismatch, and the other was a statically configured ARP entry for an IP pointing to a MAC address with only a subtle variation from the original (two swapped characters next to each other.)

I was actually really pleased with the result of this test, it really showed who had experience and how they went about digging information out and checking through things. I would use it again.

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4

said by TomS_:

Haha yes. The test of a true engineer is if they can reverse engineer what already exists.

To top it off, try without any diagrams and without full visibility of the entire network. Even if you can do it, you may be blamed of doing things not by company standard regardless your work quality that may be higher or simpler than the standard itself

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
reply to TomS_

said by TomS_:

When I hired people to replace me at my former work place

Why would you want to hire people that will replace you in the first place?

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK

Because I was leaving.