share rss forum feed

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

Repair or replace

Decisions...decisions...

I have a older HP laptop (circa 2004) that has a 3.2Ghz P4, 2GB RAM, 300GB PATA harddrive, and ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 video (with a whopping 64MB dedicate RAM!) Is running Windows XP Pro.

The laptop has served me well, and still does (using it right now). It needs a battery, and hinges for the lid. The DVD-Rom drive works when it wants to, the system gets hot as hell, and won't run games for crap. (Can't even play Minecraft on it!)

Anyway, all of the laptops I have looked at that would do what I want are WAY out of my price range. I don't want to go to Windows 8. (I just installed Win 7 on my recently new desktop.)

So... Replace or repair? Most of the stuff I do with this laptop is just web surfing, typing on my fan fiction stories, and file operations. Also stuff that requires a 32 bit WinXP system (like rooting my phone, etc). It would be nice to play Minecraft, or WoW... but the closest laptop that would do that is in the $1200 range, and I can put new hinges in this thing for $50....
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

Keep Calm and Carry On

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2

It sounds like you are asking for help determining whether you should or should not repair your laptop not asking for help with the actual work? If so - wrong forum.

Given your exact description I would probably repair it. I don't play games so that's moot. If it serves its purpose for you and it's cheap to get up and running, get 'er done.

It's ultimately your call. There is no right or wrong here.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
reply to neonhomer

go to Newegg and look at some of the newish refurbs or even the new cheap dual cores... you can pick up a LOT of Laptop these days for not much.
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to neonhomer

I'm in agreement with Veloslave See Profile. You don't have to get a higher-end laptop to run WoW (unless you want to max out settings). I tested it on a laptop a couple of weeks ago with both integrated Intel graphics, and a GeForce GT 650M (oh yeah, Optimus is pretty nifty). While the GeForce smoked the HD 4000 at the same settings, it was still quite playable. AMD's A8 and A10-series APUs should slot in between the two and can be found for cheap.

You should definitely be able to find something with discrete graphics for well under $1200.

As for the old laptop, fix it up as well and use it as a spare. Try undervolting the CPU with RMClock. I used it on an old Gateway laptop at work (similar specs as yours, even the same video card) and it dropped heat/noise by a decent amount.
--
KI6RIT

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to neonhomer

For most of what you want to do with it, just watch for a sale on a decent laptop when the price drops into the $350 range. It won't be a screaming terror or magical gaming system, but it will be worlds faster than your current laptop. I picked up a Samsung with an AMD A6 processor, 4 GB of RAM, 500 GB drive, DVD burner and 15.6-inch screen for $350 just a few months ago. It blows away my old laptop, has a new battery and a 1-year warranty.

Finding one that doesn't come with Windows 8 will be a bigger challenge.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to neonhomer

look for a core 2 duo laptop with vista or win7 on ebay.

I found a nice one for the wize last xmas (2011) and after a easy memory upgrade, put win7 on it, and it runs like a champ.

Only cost $150 including shipping and the memory upgrade. (had a spare win7 license)

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to neonhomer

I would fix this one up. You can probably fix the weak hinges. Take the key board and stuff out and clean it out, and apply Arctic Silver Ceramique to the Processor and Video chip. It WILL cool it back down.
The DVD Rom is replaceable from Newegg.com, but you may need to get creative with the plastic on the faceplate. The Battery is the sticking point, depending on the model it can be expensive. Also you may just plug it into the wall, if its for a backup machine.

With that said, I shop here a lot for Dell parts and they are super nice folks.
Here is a link to their Refurb area.
»www.parts-people.com/refurbished···laptops/

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

Actually, I already run regular Arctic Silver on the cpu and gpu. It does help, but this thing has a freakin desktop processor in it!

The hinges break on this thing.. This will be the fourth set I have put on there.

I'm probably going to fix it, and then see about a new one after I get my "new" van running...

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to neonhomer

You've stated $1200 is WAY out of your budget for a new laptop but I haven't seen where you've stated what is in your budget. As several others have mentioned, it doesn't take anywhere near a $1200 laptop to play WoW.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to neonhomer

I'd vote going the refurb route. New Egg carries a bunch of lease return refurbs, judging by the brands they have.

Basically you need to decide how much you're willing to spend. If you even think about replacing the battery you're a good portion of the way to a new machine.

Personally I don't see putting more money into a machine that is already eight years old. To fix all of the issues you currently have you're looking at half the cost of a newer machine.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to neonhomer

You can buy a laptop for $500 that runs circles around your "older HP" and that is probably over-stating the cost by $100-$200. I just bought my daughter an I3 for well under 500 bucks. Yes you probably will have to put up with Windows 8 (It isn't that bad) although you could probably special order a Dell or HP with 7 for the same cost and wait for it to come in.

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to neonhomer

Underclocking as was said up above will help you then.
I did not know it was a desktop cpu. If its a 3.2 Ghz then a underclock to probably 2.8 Ghz will help loads. A laptop cooler is not designed to wick the heat of a desktop cpu. Another thing one may do is use a Laptop mat with fans in conjunction of underclocking.

Win 8 is salvagable as long as you run Classic Shell to mimic Win 7 or XP's GUI.
»www.howtogeek.com/127699/6-start···ndows-8/

hurfy
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA
Reviews:
·Cutting Edge Com..
reply to neonhomer

Good luck

I am going to try to remember to see if i can underclock my dad's old notebook. Similar HP it sounds like with a real P4, Nvidia graphics, and a built-in hair dryer. That's why we come here

Except for the games issue, i am all for fixing these beasts.

Awesome old notebook. I wouldn't put laptop in the same sentence tho....someone may try that!!