spc
Search similar:

uniqs

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

Optimum line install

I have a friend in Montague which is wired for CV, their house was formerly a non-profit so the former owners didn't hook-up back when the lines were last upgraded, and when they moved in they talked with them they said it would be $3k to hook them up to the CV lines that are probably 1-2k' from their house.

Is that correct? Is there some way to get that cost lowered with guarantee purchase of services? The only option for them right now is satellite and every knows how much a scam that is..
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Talk to the town. The cable companies are usually required to provide service to everyone as long as there's a certain number of homes per street mile. If they're out in the sticks, they may have to pay.

Most of my town is served by Comcast, and many streets don't have the required density, so there's no cable service.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to andrewc2

to andrewc2
Is DirecTV for video, plus some sort of DSL for Internet an option? Might not be perfect, but I'd settle for that over paying Cablevision $3,000 to run some hard line down the street for me.

flatline_
join:2003-01-18

1 edit

flatline_ to andrewc2

to andrewc2
Had a similar experience. My house is in the middle of the block, it was never wired for service. In fact, no houses after mine were wired up to the end of the block. Aerial lines, no lines at all in my backyard. Closest cable line / tap was about 100' from my house as well. From the beginning of the next block on, all houses were wired.

Long story short, tried dealing with CV directly on and off for about 7 years. Calls went nowhere, don't know if "surveys" were ever performed. On a whim, with no options left, I decided to file a complaint with the NY Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications (DoITT). Shortly after, got a call from someone in the CV survey department explaining what exactly had to be done to wire me and the rest of the block. He assured me that they would do what they could to get me up and running.

I didn't think anything of it, as I had already lost hope and had been using DirecTV and Verizon DSL for a few years. Within a few months, I looked in my yard and lo and behold there was a new cable line running across my yard up the block, with taps in my neighbor's yards. Received a follow up call informing me that I was finally good to go. Ordered the service and have been extremely pleased ever since.

Well, that's my story. If you have a similar department that you can file a complaint with, it may be well worth a shot. CV did all of the wiring at no cost to me.

andrewc2
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2 to limegrass69

to limegrass69
Unfortunately not, I guess they're too far from the CO to get DSL, so I've been trying to figure out how to get CV installed for them without the outrageous price..

I'll take a look about that DoITT hopefully new jersey has such a department, curious what was the gist of your complaint?

flatline_
join:2003-01-18

flatline_

I more or less told them exactly what I was experiencing; that I was interested in obtaining Cable service, and that I resided in a CV area but there were no lines running through my yard. Told them that my neighbors a few doors down had service, and that the entire block above mine was also wired for service. Also told them that on many occasions I tried to have CV wire up my residence but I always received the run around. They took it from there.

andrewc2
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

Thanks, sounds like a very similar situation, and doesn't hurt to give it a try..
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Yah... I second hitting up DoITT for that.

»www.nyc.gov/html/doitt/h ··· me.shtml

andrewc2
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

The only problem with that is it's outside of DoITT's jurisdiction, so I would have to find a New Jersey equivalent to it. I'm not seeing a direct equivalent but I imagine there's got to be some department that handles issues such as this.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Quick google search brought me here:

»www.portal.state.pa.us/p ··· tv/10060

andrewc2
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

That is certainly helpful if I was having the issue :P I happily do have CV services, my friend in NJ has the issue.

Though both PA and NY seem to have far nicer websites...

I just sent a question to the Office of IT in NJ so we'll see if that goes anywhere.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

My head connected your DSLR profile location with the issue at hand. Damn IT guy brain

andrewc2
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

Hah I figured that was the case! Anyway I appreciate the efforts, and my friend will greatly appreciate it if I'm able to get him CV internet and off stupid DishNet!
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad to andrewc2

Premium Member

to andrewc2
I would try calling Montague Township office first & see if they can connect you to the right person that deals with LFA issues.

»www.montaguenj.org/

Township of Montague
277 Clove Road, Montague, NJ 07827
(973) 293-7300
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to andrewc2

to andrewc2
I already told you to contact the town. Did you do that yet?

Here's the State of New Jersey office - »www.state.nj.us/bpu/abou ··· s/cable/
Expect them to tell you they have no control over these types of issues.

andrewc2
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

It is not mine to contact the Township on their behalf so no I haven't contacted the township.

Gathering suggestions, and that is one I will pass along.