share rss forum feed

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

System Event Error NTFS Id 134 - bad hard drive?

On my Windows 7 64 bit laptop, I'm seeing the above error, with the description "The transaction resource manager on volume Windows encountered an error during recovery. The resource manager will continue recovery."

I used a command prompt found at Microsoft

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

but I still got that error after rebooting.

I looked at eventid.net and it said that this error indicates a failing harddrive. Is that true?

I have less than a month support on this laptop, so if this is a hard drive problem I'll like them to fix it.

If I go to Computer>properties and check both tests for the hard drive would that be a good way for me to check?

The computer is running fine, I'm just concerned about the error and what I read at eventid.net.

Thank you for any help.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

Hello

Anything suggesting that would be worth backing up all data offline Libra.

Then download HD Tune pro and grab a screen shot of the full SMART info and an error scan. Also list computer specs.

Using 'fsutil' should not be attempted without all data backed up.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Hi Norwegian,

Thank you for your reply.

I found an hdtunepro500.trial.exe at hdtune.com. Should I download that one? I don't see any instructions on how to run this tool.

Here are the specs for the laptop:

Brand
    lenovo

Model
    G570 (43347PU)

Part#
    43347PU

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU Type
    Intel Core i3-2330M 2.2GHz

Screen
    15.6" HD

Memory Size
    4GB DDR3

Hard Disk
    500GB

Optical Drive
    DVD±R/RW

Graphics Card
    Intel HD Graphics 3000

Video Memory
    Shared memory

Communication
    LAN and WLAN

Battery Life
    Up to 4 hours

CPU

CPU Type
    Intel Core i3

CPU Speed
    2330M(2.20GHz)

CPU Support
    Dual-core processor
    3MB L3 Cache
    Intel Hyper-Threading Technology

Display

Screen Size
    15.6"

Wide Screen Support
    Yes

Resolution
    1366 x 768

LCD Features
    LED backlight, 220 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio

Operating Systems

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Graphics

GPU/VPU
    Intel HD Graphics 3000

Video Memory
    Shared system memory

Graphic Type
    Integrated Card

Hard Drive

HDD
    500GB

HDD RPM
    5400rpm

HDD Interface
    SATA

Memory

Memory
    4GB

Memory Speed
    DDR3 1333

I had no idea using fsuil could be dangerous!

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit

said by Libra:

Hi Norwegian,

Thank you for your reply.

I found an hdtunepro500.trial.exe at hdtune.com. Should I download that one? I don't see any instructions on how to run this tool.

I had no idea using fsuil could be dangerous!

Sincerely, Libra

Yes, off this link
»www.hdtune.com/download.html
Just install it and run, the GUI is simple enough to work with, health+ tab and error scan tabs are what you are looking for, there are buttons upper right that copy, screen shot info etc for each tab as you go.

'fsutil'
»www.microsoft.com/resources/docu···mfr=true
(XP link, but the command syntax is no different with Win 7, as in it is messing with your file structure properties.)
Messing with command line at the depth is okay, but be prepared if something goes wrong, hence the back up first. If something is failing or fails then you loose personal data...just be prepared that's all.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Libra
Premium
USA

Thank you norwegian. I'll give it a try.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Libra

error scan

health scan - one warning
Here are my results. I have one warning in the health test.

Is my hard drive okay?

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback

It does look like that Reallocated count is high for a reasonable new HDD. 3 or 4 reallocated isn't a concern but 1846 suggests it would be worth looking at an RMA for the HDD.

Koitsu is the expert on reading these figures and may enlighten you to more info.
--

Libra
Premium
USA

Thank you. I'll wait for Koitsu.

My warranty is ending about the first week of February.

Sincerely, Libra

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 edit
reply to Libra

This is interesting.

First off, Seagate tends to vendor-encode a lot of their attributes (see 0x01, 0x07, 0xBE, 0xC3, etc.), so reading them literally is always tricky. I'm not familiar with this exact model of Seagate disk, but I find it's behaviour questionable. I should, however, be fair: I have a lot more familiarity with the behaviour of WD drive firmwares; Seagate does things quite differently in a lot of regards, and I don't have as much experience with their drives.

Attribute 0xC4 is supposed to track the number of times any LBA remapping occurs (whether successful or failed). For successful remaps, 0x05 should be incremented. For unsuccessful remaps, I'm used to seeing 0xC6 increment as well.

So, basically, attribute 0xC4 by itself does not really shed light on what transpired with this drive regarding actual remaps. It may be that previously during the drive's lifetime there were numerous LBAs which were considered "suspect" and marked unreadable (which increments 0xC5), then upon later analysis determined them to be usable/fine (thus no remaps occurred, and therefore 0xC5 gets decremented). In the latter case, it's very possible the drive could be experiencing this issue repeatedly across the same set of LBAs.

HD Tune Pro does not have support for reading SMART GP logs (including the SMART error log) so I can't tell if anything is there; smartmontools can do this.

My guess is that the drive has marked, in the past, some LBAs as "suspect" and then upon further analysis determined that they were fine. When an LBA gets marked "suspect", it becomes unreadable (i.e. returns an I/O error to the controller, thus the OS). In certain situations this could cause complexities at the filesystem level. I can tell that the drive historically has had some complexities in reading data off the platters (attribute 0x01 shows that, but you have to go off of the normalised/adjusted values and not the literal), but that doesn't act as proof of my theory.

The drive also has a shock sensor installed in it, and I see that during its lifetime it's incremented 3 times (or possibly 2, as I've seen this attribute come out of the factory set to 1). This drive is 2.5" and installed in a laptop, which makes the likelihood of this sensor incrementing fairly high (placing the laptop on a desk firmly while the system is powered on, for example, can do it).

Has this laptop experienced any physical malevolence, such as being dropped, tilted to let fall flat on a surface (desk, etc.), or been shaken while powered on?

Have you taken the time to run CHKDSK /R C: (assuming the drive in question is used for the C: partition)? If not, please do so. When the system tells you to reboot, do it. During the reboot you'll see a blue screen where the drive is checked for errors, as well as read every LBA associated with the filesystem metadata. Note that /R implies /F, so issues should get repaired (hopefully).

If you've tried this already, then my general advice would be to replace the hard disk just as a precaution. Whoever the vendor of your laptop is, make it their problem -- they can do an RMA/replacement for you.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Thank you koitsu. The laptop has never been dropped. While running it has been moved about twice.

I think I have run chkdsk in the past through right click on computer properties>tools. I'll do it through a command prompt in a few minutes.

I don't know if this could have anything to do with the problem, but Microsoft was changing things regarding file permissions (giving permission to everyone) on files that have to do with root certificates and deleting a lot of files and I noticed this ntfs error at that point. When I spoke to a second level tech and asked him to fix it he said if I wasn't having a problem I shouldn't look at the error, it's only for techs to troubleshoot.

I'll let you know how the chkdsk goes. Thank you again.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to koitsu

I went into admin account and opened an elevated command prompt and typed in CHKDSK /R C: . It asked if I wanted to schedule it next time it reboots, I typed in "y". Nothing happened so I exited and restarted the computer. It said Chkdsk will check volume C. Then it said "The Volume is Clean".

I didn't see it check anything and it took about 30 seconds.

Did I do something wrong? or is this good news?

Sincerely, Libra

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to Libra

said by Libra:

I don't know if this could have anything to do with the problem, but Microsoft was changing things regarding file permissions (giving permission to everyone) on files that have to do with root certificates and deleting a lot of files and I noticed this ntfs error at that point. When I spoke to a second level tech and asked him to fix it he said if I wasn't having a problem I shouldn't look at the error, it's only for techs to troubleshoot.

If you've already engaged Microsoft support directly for this issue, why did you not bring these issues (NTFS errors) to their attention, especially if you think they may have caused it? If you're getting support from the OS vendor, you need to continue to drive that to full completion. No offence intended, but what you've now done is create multiple "support"-type situations -- you've got people on a forum struggling to figure out how to assist you, while you've got Microsoft also helping you (?!) at the same time. The likelihood of efforts being doubled or conflicting is very very high. This does not make me happy and makes me very unlikely to assist in the future.

said by Libra:

I went into admin account and opened an elevated command prompt and typed in CHKDSK /R C: . It asked if I wanted to schedule it next time it reboots, I typed in "y". Nothing happened so I exited and restarted the computer. It said Chkdsk will check volume C. Then it said "The Volume is Clean". I didn't see it check anything and it took about 30 seconds. Did I do something wrong? or is this good news?

You didn't do anything wrong. The filesystem insists it's in good condition. Please continue to drive these issues with Microsoft support exclusively. Thanks.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

I apologize. What happened with Microsoft is I called them to fix a problem. They charged me $99. A first level tech made those changes and said I needed a second level tech. I spoke with the second level tech the following day and he didn't fix the problem I called about and I did tell him and showed him the nfts error and asked him to fix it. He didn't fix it and said if I'm not experiencing any problems to ignore it. He said they look at the event viewer to diagnose problems. So he didn't do anything about this ntfs error although the prior tech caused it. They gave me a credit for the $99.

I did not initially contact Microsoft about the ntfs error. I asked them to fix it the next day and he didn't. Should I call them back to fix it now? (I went into the hospital a day or two after contacting Microsoft, I'm not really feeling that well, but maybe I'll call them.)
They're not really helping me and showed no interest in helping me.

I apologize again - I came to this forum after I read somewhere the ntfs warning could mean a failiing hard drive.

I ran the checkdisk again from tools (checking both items) and it went through 5 stages and said the volume is clean. I guess that means my drive is okay?

EDIT: I found I saw that ntfs warning when I rebooted the computer. The last time I saw it was 1/15 when I ran the HDtune test. So with reboots today I haven't seen the warning at all!

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Libra

I think initially you need to try again with Microsoft. They need to be held accountable for this issue.

However if you exhaust that effort and need to revisit, items like system restore or SubInACL may come in handy, but then what problems did you contact Microsoft in the first place about? This may have a big impact on approaching any fix here if at all possible.

This all might end up with you starting fresh or using the recovery option of the laptop. Either way hopefully you have backed up all data?

Best of luck with the support via Microsoft.
--

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Hi norwegian,

I guess I'll try but Microsoft didn't want to help me with the ntfs warning even though I pointed out the previous tech had caused it.
I called MS because I stupidly installed a roots certificate update for XPsp3 on my Windows 7 64bit laptop because it wasn't offered through updates (my other 2 computers were offered it). After that I got CAP12 errors saying it couldn't open the file to put the root certs. in.

The MS tech reset my Windows Update (which I was very unhappy about) and about an hour later tried to find out what the roots certificate updates are. She found a fix for my error (the fix she found was for an exchange - I said I'm Win 7, not an exchange). Then she started changing permission on files relating to this. In any event some days later the computer started getting the root cert updates, so I guess she did something right. She also deleted a lot of temporary files and a lot said they couldn't be deleted -in use, but she kept trying.

When I spoke to the second level tech he told me giving permission to everyone was okay and said if I didn't have any problem with the ntfs error, not to worry about it. If I call I hope they won't charge me for this, since they created the error.

I have a backup of this computer with Macrium Reflect from April 2012. I also recently backed up my daughter's pictures and installation files for software I use and some drivers from Lenovo that I have applied to the computer. I think I would better off with that than the out of the box restore on the computer. (I never restored an image with Macrium, if I have to do it hopefully it will work out well.) Aside from this error, the computer is running well.

I'm going to run that HDtune and see if the numbers changed and see if I get those ntfs warnings - I got them at the time I ran it last time.

I appreciate your input on this.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Libra

I just ran HDtune. The REC now shows 1903 data as opposed to 1846 from the other day.

I don't have any ntfs warning. I think chkdsk may have fixed that. In view of this I can't call MS and ask them to fix something that's not occurring.

I think I'll call Lenovo and mention the HDTune results and see if they will replace the harddrive.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Sounds like a good starting point then. Just ignore all the Microsoft stories when discussing with them. Just keep to the facts on the HD Tune number errors and the NTFS alert.

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Thanks Norwegian. I just called Lenovo and mentioned the ntfs warning and HDTunePro results. He asked if I can boot the computer - I said I can and if it's running slow - I said it's not. He thinks its a software problem and gave me a link to run something from Lenovo to fix the ntfs (meanwhile it seems to be fixed to me by chkdsk - I told him that but he wants me to run the test). I told him I'm concerned if my harddrive could be failing. If I still see the HDPro REC he said to call him back and they will change the HD.
He advised me to back up the computer, so I'll use Macrium Reflect and hope for the best.

I'm going to back up the computer before I get that file from Lenovo.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to norwegian

Hi Norwegian,

When I checked out the file/utility Lenovo wanted me to install and run I discovered it doesn't support my laptop (G570), so I called them back. After being disconnected I spoke with a very nice woman who arranged for a tech who will call me and come to the house and install a new hard drive! They will send me a restoration disk.

Although I made a full image using Macrium Reflect 4 I've never restored from it, so I'm probably better off with their restore disk, especially on a brand new disk. I might be able to restore over what they provide.

I appreciate your help very much and sticking with me on this.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback

If it is a full image you have, you should be able to use a Windows recovery disk (not the ones to be supplied) and install from that utilizing the image, have a chat to the tech, he/she may be able to work with it. Although I've not used Lenovo recovery disks so I'm unsure if there is a recover from an image option.

However, was there something already showing as faulting even as far back with the April image, you can not know. A fresh recovery is the best and safest way to go.

When it is all up and running and everything is installed, use the recovery option in the Control Panel and create a set of image disks and a recovery disk and put them in the cupboard. These are available for you at any moment and take less than half hour to have you running fresh again in case any O/S corruption etc in the future.
--

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I'm quite confused about restoring the full image I just made. With this version of Macrium I'm suppose to use a Linux disk to restore and I have to restore one partition at a time and go back to restore more. What I'm confused about is if I have to designate sizes for the partitions - I can't do that, although I wrote down the info on capacity, space used and free space that appeared during the image.
Maybe I'll ask in the software forum. I'll ask the tech when he comes too.

They are going to take my old hard drive - I said okay, but now I'm thinking that personal information is on that disk. I noticed there is an erase on the HDTunePro. Do you think I should use it? I imagine its straight forward to do? Maybe they respect your privacy and erase the disk themselves.

Thank you again.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback

I was giving that some thought earlier, delete all personal stuff off the HDD, if you can get the time a wipe would help. But 500GB expect a fair length of time.

Have a chat to the tech on the image, but once you get running again just use Windows 7 own tool, it will create the image set and a recovery disk, no more required after these disks are created to restore to the image. You can do this once a week, once a month etc, no third party tool is required for images.

»www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how···ndows-7/
»www.techrepublic.com/blog/window···isk/4644

Note: I would think the recovery disk or even the Windows 7 O/S disk could work with the image of Macrium to restore from, I don't think Linux is specifically required.
--

Libra
Premium
USA

How would I delete things like my daughter has some charge card accounts online? And if we make a purchase you have to use a credit card - so it's there somewhere. And Facebook.

Thank you for the links.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit

Use a tool like CCleaner on all accounts and select all options. Also goto Options-Settings-"secure deletion" to wipe this info.

Data like charge accts info might not be saved any way - the option is there in IE to not save SSL data to the HDD.
Internet Options-Advanced-move the slider to the bottom, is this checked or unchecked?
"Do not Save Encrypted Pages To Disk"
If checked the credit card details in transactions will not be on the HDD unless there is PDF, Personal Letters etc.

CCleaner can delete all temp data, and online transactions data is saved in the temporary Internet Files folder. CCleaner takes care of this folder and more. Also adding in the extras vis the winapp2.in found here will delete a lot more info. Also delete all photos, pdfs and other personal items too if they are al backed up.
--

Libra
Premium
USA

Thank you. I forgot about CCleaner. I just downloaded it and will install in the laptop. I'll copy your instructions. I appreciate the help.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback

If you are not going to wipe the drive, also look at a defrag once cleaned to over write sectors of deleted files. Wipe is best though.

Expand your moderator at work

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to norwegian

Re: System Event Error NTFS Id 134 - bad hard drive?

Click for full size
shows a backup was created
Click for full size
Elements F Drive (external hard drive) shows an empty folder?
Hi Norwegian,

I spoke with the tech this morning and he's coming Friday morning. I mentioned I received the disks from Lenovo and mentioned possibly making an image. He said he'd start the recovery and leave me to finish it. I'm going to try to have him complete it- if there's a problem I wouldn't know what to do.

I was reading about Windows system image (which says it can be put to another hard drive) so I made one. I chose System, C drive and I selected D drive (I don't know what's on it, but I figure it's important). I have two screenshots - Elements F is my external hard drive and a copy of create a system image which shows an image was created at 5:45pm. Do you have any idea why the E drive would show an empty folder?

Do you have any idea what would happen if I use HDPro to wipe the drive? The computer would have to be on in order for me to use it, what would happen when it's done and how would I shut down the computer if the drive is wiped? This is a 500 GB drive, do you have any idea how long it would take?

Otherwise I'll do the defrag. I used CCleaner already.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

I'm happy to say I was finally able to remove the external harddrive by rebooting the computer.
It previously told me it successfully completed the system image. I clicked on create system image a couple of times to access the screen I put above showing an image was previously created, and also backup system files but didn't tell it to continue to create either one.

The message I got re safely removing hardware was:

"Windows can't stop your 'Generic Volume' device because a program is still using it. Close any programs that might be using this device and then try again later."

Safely Elect Hardware showed: Eject Ext HDD 1021 (when I click on this I get the above message). Under Ext HDD 1021 show my -Elements (F:) greyed and I can't select it.

I put this eject problem into the Microsoft Forum also.

Do you think the system image I created via Windows is good in view of this? I also find it odd that it shows an empty folder.

Again, I was finally able to remove the external drive.

I apologize for all of this.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Libra

said by Libra:

I was reading about Windows system image (which says it can be put to another hard drive) so I made one. I chose System, C drive and I selected D drive (I don't know what's on it, but I figure it's important). I have two screenshots - Elements F is my external hard drive and a copy of create a system image which shows an image was created at 5:45pm. Do you have any idea why the E drive would show an empty folder?

Hello Libra,

1. E: is your DVD drive, all good, without a CD/DVD it will show as empty
2. C:, D: are more than likely, C: - system drive, D: restore partition or something similar. However creating an image of a HDD and partitions with NTFS errors will not be good, everything will travel to the new HDD, errors, IE, missing files, corrupted files etc.
It may be a good leason for you for future jobs but you have to start some where. An image via the process you are doing of the new system is a better option.

said by Libra:

Do you have any idea what would happen if I use HDPro to wipe the drive? The computer would have to be on in order for me to use it, what would happen when it's done and how would I shut down the computer if the drive is wiped? This is a 500 GB drive, do you have any idea how long it would take?

24 to 30 hrs is my guess for a full wipe.
--