Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to norwegian

Re: System Event Error NTFS Id 134 - bad hard drive?

Thank you for clarifying all of that. But what I saw in making my Windows System Image it only checked the Active Partition and C drive - it showed D, but it wasn't checked. I put a check in it - I think it's Lenovo's restore (not sure). I know I'm not anywhere near making one yet on disks, but isn't it necessary that I check D?

I won't bother with that bootable stuff for the DVD then. It also seems the dynamic disk doesn't apply to me. I appreciate your explaining all of this to me. I guess I'll starting putting personal files on my external hard drive.

The disks I got from Lenovo are four. Since they are an image, that explains why when I ask if we can remove or not install certain programs, I get told to install everything. I find it interesting that Windows found a problem and wouldn't install Windows.

I plan to set up Windows (admin account, maybe standard users at that time) and set Windows Update to download but let me decide for important updates and make sure the Windows Firewall is on. If Mcafee pops up I'll use add remove to remove it and I put the Mcafee removal tool on a disk, so I will use that. I will skip setting up the internet and install SpywareBlaster, Avast (after removing McAfee) MalwareBytes, SuperAntispyware, HostsExpert. I know none of these will update until after the internet is connected, but they will be in place.

I guess I might wait to install PaleMoon after I connect to the Internet. When I do connect to the internet I will do Updates first.

At some point I will look at the device manager and see the version number of some of those drivers. In the past I had to update some of those drivers because I was getting error messages.

Does this sound good?

I want you to know I appreciate your help and patience very much.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

said by Libra:

Thank you for clarifying all of that. But what I saw in making my Windows System Image it only checked the Active Partition and C drive - it showed D, but it wasn't checked. I put a check in it - I think it's Lenovo's restore (not sure). I know I'm not anywhere near making one yet on disks, but isn't it necessary that I check D?

The initial back up, select everything for the image. You can once things settle only image the C: partition if you want, but if a virus or corruption gets into the boot sector or the partition tables get messed up, to copy everything back, you will need the initial image. Which is why I just select all partitions on the HDD, the only reason not to would be if you are short on space to back up to. For an extra 10 minutes of back up time, and a little more space used it will give you peace of mind. It's a choice though for you to make. If the back up image didn't select all with no options, someone out there would complain, so by default the settings only look after the Windows/system partition.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Libra
Premium
USA

I will select everything. I appreciate your help. Now I just need the laptop working. We miss it.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to norwegian

Hi norwegian!

I wanted to let you know that when the second tech came he was able to load the new set of disks without a problem, so he didn't have to install a new motherboard. Since I have seen error messages about Disk 1 I asked him to replace the optical drive and he did. The new hard drive is described as WDC! I worked on the computer that day, then took a 2 day break and finished everything. I used the Windows Backup to make a full image and a rescue disk. (I'm going to check and see if Vista can do this.)

Again, I want to thank you for all of your help.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

Fingers crossed it is happy sailing for now then.

Libra
Premium
USA

Thank you.