spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

codyyy

@embarqhsd.net

linksys ea4500 not sharing bandwidth when using netflix?

when i use netflix on any device its uses all the bandwidth not sharing any of it with my other devices ive tried Qos but it was no help ive also contacted cisco support and they couldn't figure it out. my firmware is up to date, and also i only see this problem with netflix every thing else i do on the internet splits the bandwidth 50/50

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state

said by codyyy :

when i use netflix on any device its uses all the bandwidth not sharing any of it with my other devices ive tried Qos but it was no help ive also contacted cisco support and they couldn't figure it out. my firmware is up to date, and also i only see this problem with netflix every thing else i do on the internet splits the bandwidth 50/50

If nothing else, you can decrease the quality of the netflix stream so it uses less bandwidth.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to codyyy

Hmmm, not saying that you aren't experiencing this, however I have the EA4500 and subscribe to netflix and have had no problems using other connected devices while streaming netflix.

Granted, nothing that I have is real demanding, a couple of laptops, NAS, networked printer, desktop, tablets and smart phones, but I have had no issues with access on other devices while watching netflix through my Roku. I didn't even bother with QOS, but then as I said my connection needs are pretty pedestrian.

Just in case, have you tried re-flashing the firmware? Something does not sound right.
--
Deeds, not words

Hagar

join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to codyyy

What resolution are you using for you netflix video?
What spec is your broadband connection?
What speeds do you get when you test your broadband connection?
What is the other thing you try to use that is not working well when you use netflix?

QOS tend to control your uploads it does very little for your download since your router can not do anything until it get the packet and then it is more or less to late.

chomper87

join:2012-02-22
Clearwater, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·CenturyLink

said by Hagar:

QOS tend to control your uploads it does very little for your download since your router can not do anything until it get the packet and then it is more or less to late.

I'll expand on this a bit.

Almost all consumer routers I've used only directly affect the Upload. However, to be clear affecting the Upload can in a majority of situations like YouTube and Netflix affect download. This is because of how TCP works. Anything which uses TCP MUST also upload a small receipt - known as an ACK - after downloading so many packets.

Some routers will have a ACK turbo or speed up mode such as on the ASUS RT-N66U

Now in my tests, it didn't work well. But I bought it brand new and perhaps they have now fixed the QOS issues in a firmware update. I won't claim QOS can help you, simply because I won't guarantee even if "configured" it will correctly work.

I'm not familar with the EA4500, but it has two firmware options: The Cisco Cloud or the normal normal old school linksys firmware. You may want to try both and see if there is a difference.

Hagar

Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse

Good point about the acknowledge (ACK) packets and that QOS can affect them. I personally do not like the QOS to just solve ACK packets issues. The reason is that I think the real problem is bufferbloat, which prevents the ACK packets from being properly sent. E.g. they are stuck in the upload buffer.

I think a better solution is to remove the upload bufferbloat. That will improve your responsiveness of your connection, which will solve any ACK problems that exist.

That said ACK issue would not explain the problems mentioned in the first post.

chomper87

Clearwater, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·CenturyLink

After looking over some emulators of the e4500 including the Cloud firmware and Classic firmware, I see nothing obvious in the settings that might help.

It may be worth a try to reset your modem (if you have one) and router to factory defaults as well.

Redholm:
CeroWrt looks awesome. Somehow in all my experimenting of routers and firmwares (OpenWRT, X-WRT, Tomato, DD-WRT), and custom PC router box (PfSense), I had never specifically come accross CeroWRT. I'll have to play around with it.

Hagar

Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse

Sorry for the of topic bufferbloat Creowrt:
Creowrt is good stuff brought my upload buffer latency (worst case) down from 1400 ms to 400 ms, I still need to improve it.

Not sure Creowrt support your ASUS RT-N66U but they push changes upstream to Openwrt.

Back to topic:
I wounder if OP is having issues over Wifi or over wired connection

codyyy

@embarqhsd.net

i contacted netflix and they did say if you set your quality settings to best that netflix would try its best to stream in HD. the quality use to lower on netflix when i needed some bandwidth for youtube or something but it doesn't anymore. and i can tell qos is working cause i put my computer in low priority and downloads were slow but it still didnt effect netflix streams.here is my internet speed

everything else the router handles perfect 2 downloads at the same time would each get 2.00mbps

chomper87

Clearwater, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·CenturyLink

Since you are on DSL, what is your DSL modem and is it in bridge mode?

I had Embarq / CenturyLink 10Mb / 768Kb for 2 yrs, and overall I had a pleasant experience.

But trust me on the QoS unreliability in consumer routers. Routers and networking is an entire career in itself.

The whole thing about your 2 downloads each getting 2.0 Mbps is more coincidence.

#1. I'd recommend you first make sure your DSL modem is bridge mode. Otherwise you're EA4500 or any other router imaginable is absolutely useless.

#2. Ask CenturyLink about you're line stats and if you can enable Fast Path (or Fast Latency).

codyyy

@embarqhsd.net

no its not a coincidence everything else shares the bandwidth evenly except netflix and yes my modem is bridged and i doubt centurylink could enable Fast Path (or Fast Latency) because 4megs is already the fastest internet i can get at the distance i am away from the telco

Hagar

Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse

It is not a coincidence that two TCP connections will share bandwidth more or less evenly. But do not make the assumption that Netflix only uses one TCP connection. Netflix can and will use several TCP connections. The rules for when Netflix uses more TCP connection is not documented and seam to wary depending on network conditions, there are some academic papers on Netflix bandwidth consumption.

chomper87

Clearwater, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·CenturyLink

quote:
Netflix can and will use several TCP connections.

While TCP may have been designed to attempt to evenly share the bandwidth between # of connections - it's still a Design principle. It's great, but this issue isn't a textbook definition of some idealized model.

quote:
This document describes TCP performance problems that arise because
of asymmetric effects. These problems arise in several access
networks, including bandwidth-asymmetric networks and packet radio
subnetworks, for different underlying reasons. However, the end
result on TCP performance is the same in both cases: performance
often degrades significantly because of imperfection and variability
in the ACK feedback from the receiver to the sender.

»tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3449

Unfortunately, I'm out of any easy tricks to recommend.