I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

You can WoW all day in China

»www.forbes.com/sites/ins ··· ft-gold/

Want to WoW all day? Go to a chinese prison!

"Prison bosses made more money forcing inmates to play games than they do forcing people to do manual labour,” Liu told the Guardian. “There were 300 prisoners forced to play games. We worked 12-hour shifts in the camp. I heard them say they could earn 5,000-6,000rmb [£470-570] (~$770-935) a day. We didn’t see any of the money. The computers were never turned off.”

It is estimated that 80% of all gold farmers are in China and with the largest internet population in the world there are thought to be 100,000 full-time gold farmers in the country."

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

said by I AM:

»www.forbes.com/sites/ins ··· ft-gold/

Want to WoW all day? Go to a chinese prison!

"Prison bosses made more money forcing inmates to play games than they do forcing people to do manual labour,” Liu told the Guardian. “There were 300 prisoners forced to play games. We worked 12-hour shifts in the camp. I heard them say they could earn 5,000-6,000rmb [£470-570] (~$770-935) a day. We didn’t see any of the money. The computers were never turned off.”

It is estimated that 80% of all gold farmers are in China and with the largest internet population in the world there are thought to be 100,000 full-time gold farmers in the country."

This points out the need for video game companies to change their approach, so you don't have 'slave labor" that plays them so rares/currency can be farmed.

Name any game that has trade able/salable items/currency, and I am willing to bet there is someone running a slave labor farm to make real world money at it.

Now maybe if everything was BOA, that would end the mmo slave gold farms.
Eve, Ultima Online, WOW, Rift, they all have them.
They are fueled by players that don't want to play a long game of catch up, or players who are impatient and don't want to "farm", "camp: for certain items.

I once saw a web site that was selling all the mats needed to level a profession from O- to max. I still think that is an awesome idea. Plunk down a hundred bucks, get everything you need and max out profession. No running around, no paying over blown AH prices [IMO, anything more then a 3% mark up is over blown]. And you get to max out the profession in a couple of hours vs days.
I kinda wish Blizzard would sell such packs in their store. As it would make it safer for the players, and put money in their pockets.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

I like your idea of companies selling their own products. But even if lets say Blizzard sells you a packet to craft to max for $80.00. Companies will just sell it for like $79.99 to undercut and make some money.

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member
join:2009-05-14

JB9

Premium Member

People sell profession kits for like ~10k already.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
If they were to try real life cash purchases to inside the game, then make all game items BOA. But that would kill the AH unless blizzard developed a way so that players could sell BOA items on the AH.
In other words the only way to sell stuff would be thru AH. It be a huge reworking of the in game economics.

*I do find it interesting at the lack of mention this type of sweat shop gets in the press. You'd think with a game as popular as WOW, some investigative reporter would be looking for "dirt" like this.
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to JB9

Premium Member

to JB9
But that is 10k gold. I don't even have enough for cloud serpent flying on my next 90 toon.

Which means I'll end up going to a 3rd party gold seller and buying the gold for the flying or the 10k for that pack you were talking about.

I have yet to do that with WOW, though I've been tempted. I don't think I well, however, because while I play WOW, it doesn't mean I love WOW enough to do that.
djlar
join:2009-04-23

djlar to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
Then again Blizzard puts in this new expansion lots of expensive mounts to buy (The Yak comes to mind) and then they put the black market AH, on which an item could go for 999,999 gold... making people need more gold..

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

*I do find it interesting at the lack of mention this type of sweat shop gets in the press. You'd think with a game as popular as WOW, some investigative reporter would be looking for "dirt" like this.

I've considered it pretty well known. I've watched documentaries on TV about this where they have shown the people playing and their sleeping conditions. My only complaint with it is that it might incentivize more to do crime. Hell it would get me out of a job and get me another 8 hours of play time without having to worry about bills for food and shelter. Doesn't sound that bad. I'm sure the game would lose its zest over time though so maybe just a misdemeanor for now.

Besides, though the money isn't going to the right places once earned, at least it is being earned. In the US with our justice system, criminals just cost the tax payers that much more.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

But I don't think you're playing WoW for enjoyment in prison. Unless farming is an enjoyment for you.

Venom14
join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA

Venom14 to Carpie

to Carpie
said by Carpie:

My only complaint with it is that it might incentivize more to do crime. Hell it would get me out of a job and get me another 8 hours of play time without having to worry about bills for food and shelter. Doesn't sound that bad. I'm sure the game would lose its zest over time though so maybe just a misdemeanor for now.

i think your understanding of prison systems not in the US is a little lacking...

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to I AM

MVM

to I AM
I was going to say I thought this was old news. It is, June 2011.

If I could make a living playing WoW I'm sure I would. I'm not so much into having the best gear. When I find something I'm more likely to put it up on the Auction House than send it to a toon that could use it. If it doesn't sell on the Auction House then I'll use it.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to Venom14

to Venom14
Without any direct experience with prisons systems anywhere (US or not), I can certainly attest that my opinions are just another stinky asshole like so many out there. None should be able to formulate an opinion, let alone speak them, without first having walked a mile in the shoes of those being judged.

Also know that 90% of my comments are always infused with at least 60% of smartass. The truth is that life is such a cruel joke (regardless of where you are and what is happening) most of the time that one couldn't survive by taking it too seriously. Levity is mandatory.

And those are my bright, positive, and optimistic thoughts to start this day.

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee

said by Carpie:

Without any direct experience with prisons systems anywhere (US or not), I can certainly attest that my opinions are just another stinky asshole like so many out there. None should be able to formulate an opinion, let alone speak them, without first having walked a mile in the shoes of those being judged.

Also know that 90% of my comments are always infused with at least 60% of smartass. The truth is that life is such a cruel joke (regardless of where you are and what is happening) most of the time that one couldn't survive by taking it too seriously. Levity is mandatory.

And those are my bright, positive, and optimistic thoughts to start this day.

Amen?..
Expand your moderator at work

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to JB9

to JB9

Re: You can WoW all day in China

said by JB9:

People sell profession kits for like ~10k already.

I use to sell those YEARS ago.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
I wish I knew how to farm like they did. One day's worth of farming to accmuluate $700-900 worth of gold?

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

They hack people's account?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

I wish I knew how to farm like they did. One day's worth of farming to accmuluate $700-900 worth of gold?

Dailies, lots of them.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
I should run a bot that farms gold on someone else's wifi.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

You should start PvP with us.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Wife was telling me the same thing. I may give it a shot. I have almost no PVP gear.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

I two weeks 5.2 will hit and we can craft all the Dreadful set and you can get Malevolent with honor.

I have 30 spirits saved up to buy the pattern and make the pieces, It would be good for you to start grinding honor and conquest with us to get a couple Malevolent and Tyranical when 5.2 hits.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I guess I can do that because there was zero interest in mechanicsburg warrior.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

KrisN and I played the early beta, was not impressed. Trying Hawken now.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I think everyone was not impressed with the early beta. Lately, betas have been away for people to "try before you buy", but I looked at this game and they actually used it as a beta, because each time a new patch hits, a wave of changes and fixes take place.

I have some RL friends that were playing it, so I guess I can alternate between it.

What's Hawken?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Same thing as Mechwarrior Online.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I just Googled it and the differences between that and MWO. Maybe I can check it out some day.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Hawken is the MW3 of Mech games, MWO is the BF3.