how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zenthias

join:2012-02-08
Bloomfield, IN

Need help with video card.

The video card in my older PC doesn't work anymore. It was a Galaxy 9500GT PCIe 512MB DDR2 128bit. The mobo is a Asus P5N-E SLI.

They no longer make the 9500GT and the mobo doesn't have on board video.

Could someone recommend a replacement card? Preferably nvidia and in the $20ish range. The PC is only used for web surfing so it doesn't have to be powerful.

Thanks in advance!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

$15 after MIR: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14130849

Not sure how much more money you would want to dump into a mobo with PCIe 1.0. But note:

PCIe 2.0 cards are also generally backward compatible with PCIe 1.x motherboards, using the available bandwidth of PCI Express 1.1. Overall, graphic cards or motherboards designed for v2.0 will work with the other being v1.1 or v1.0a.

There are a few rare exceptions to this rule, so do the legwork first to ensure that this combination of GPU and motherboard are not incompatible.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to zenthias

Hard to beat for $15. Especially if you're just browsing the web.

zenthias

Bloomfield, IN
reply to zenthias

Thanks for the help so far guys.

So I can "more than likely" use a PCIe 2.0 card? The card you linked says, "Receive a $20 prepaid card by mail from EVGA! Expires on 1/15/13 "

Does this mean the rebate expires on 1/15?

I'd rather find one for $20 that doesn't have a rebate deal. Any other suggestions?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

You have to order by 1/15 to get the deal. Then you typically have 30-45 days to send in the rebate, and it takes 4-6 weeks for the card to get back to you. Hard to beat with free shipping, and it is by far the best deal on Newegg right now.

The best "non MIR" deal is this one: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14131339

Assuming the PCIe 2.1 card is backwards compatible (the EVGA one is PCIe 2.0), of course.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

zenthias

Bloomfield, IN

Thanks again!

I assume there is no way to know if the card will work with my mobo until I actually buy it and install it?