spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

EmoHobo

join:2010-07-16

A temp folder named "mozilla-temp-files" What is it?

in my temp folder is a folder with that name, I sometimes check my temp folder to clear it out and have never seen this before, can someone tell me what this folder is? I use Windows XP SP3 It has to be from Firefox as it's the only Mozilla product I use.

Add ons I use:
Adblock Plus
Download Statusbar
NoScript
Restartless Restart
Undo Closed Tabs

and the only plugin I use is shockwave flash.

I've used them all for years but this folder only started showing up just recently.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

Re: A temp folder named "mozilla-temp-files" What is i

Probably last firefox update.

EmoHobo

Isn't that called like "Mozilla Updater? and yeah it started not too long after the most recent firefox update, maybe it's some kind of patching system?

EmoHobo

reply to EmoHobo

It showed up again but I wasn't able to upload it to Virus Total or open it in notepad so I really have no idea on it.

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9

What's the exact location (path).

EmoHobo

1 edit
reply to EmoHobo

removed

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 edit
reply to EmoHobo

quote:
in my temp folder is a folder with that name, I sometimes check my temp folder to clear it out and have never seen this before, can someone tell me what this folder is?
and here: »forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic···12601421

quote:
in my temp folder is a folder with that name, I sometimes check my temp folder to clear it out and have never seen this before, can someone tell me what this folder is?
Extensions updating.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
reply to EmoHobo

Click for full size
I did not see it during the install of Firefox 18.0 (saw other temp folders, but they were removed after the install was complete).

However, when I launch Firefox for the first time, that folder showed up. The location that it showed up at was "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp" (Yes, I am logged into my system using the local administrator account).

The folder contained a single file "mozilla-temp-17087" with a size of 1,056 KB. Note that the file does not have an extension.

I then made a copy of the folder and its contents, to a temp folder on my desktop.

When I closed Firefox, the folder remained, but the file in it was deleted.

I then deleted the folder, and re-launched Firefox. The folder did not come back.

The above picture is what the file looks like if I open it using Notepad.

I have no idea what the file is either. If anyone wants me to upload it for further review, let me know and I'll do it.

I also want to add that my test was done on Windows 8 x64 Pro. At this point, I don't have any software installed, so I am relatively confident that this would show up regardless of any extensions or plugins that may be there. In my specific case, this was a brand new install of Firefox 18, so a new profile was created.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

EmoHobo

reply to chachazz

Yes I made both of those. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this, should I delete one or something?

EmoHobo

reply to plencnerb

So Plencnerb should I assume it's just something new with Firefox 18?

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

said by EmoHobo:

So Plencnerb should I assume it's just something new with Firefox 18?

I did a bit more testing, and here is what I found out.

If I go and delete the folder "Mozilla" located at "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming" (this of course is where your profile is stored), and then launch Firefox, it will create that temp folder, and file.

Every time Firefox has to create a profile, it appears that folder "mozilla-temp-files" is created with a similar filename created inside of it.

I did two more tests, and now I have 3 different files

mozilla-temp-28234
mozilla-temp-17087
mozilla-temp-31140

The sizes of the files are 768 KB, 1056 KB, and 960 KB (in the order of the files listed above).

Opening any of the three files with Notepad they all look similar, meaning they all look like the one I posted before.

So, it appears it has to do with some functionally of Firefox when a new profile is created. When Firefox is closed, the file goes away, but the folder remains. Removing the folder appears to be OK, until a new profile is created, and Firefox will just re-create the folder and file again. Having temp files while an application is in use is normal, but my thinking is that there is a bug in the section of code that goes and removes the file, as it should also remove the folder that was created as well. That appears to not be the case, as the folder remains behind.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

EmoHobo

reply to EmoHobo

I don't think I've created a new folder on Firefox though as I've been using the same profile for years I didn't even know you could create a new one until a few months ago.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to EmoHobo

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Per EmoHobo See Profile's request, I went ahead and uploaded one of the files to Virus Total and did a scan.

I've attached a few pictures of the results. But, I also see that I can re-use the URL as well, so that is below

»www.virustotal.com/file/50e798dc···8392545/

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

EmoHobo

reply to EmoHobo

Thanks for this, because I'm seeing these show up more and more in my temp folder even when I'm not doing anything, they are just randomly appearing after what appears to be a few hours.

I can't seem to figure out anything by that, but I hope someone could, I don't notice firefox behaving weirdly in any way, so I do hope this is explained by Mozilla sometime soon.

Is it being read as an audio file though? That's what it seems from that data, that's weird if so.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Yeah, I don't know what all that means either, except that it appears that its not a virus of any kind.

--Brian

EmoHobo

Yeah, I should stop caring about it, but it's new and it keeps creating files, so it makes me curious.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

I agree with you on that. I did not play around with it much after I had it installed on my Windows 8 test system. So, if it is creating the files at other times, then yeah..what is really going on.

My primary browser is Waterfox, so for me to do more research would be a bit of work, but something I could do. As you said, it makes me curious as to why it is doing it. So, I may have to switch browsers for a bit and try to see if I can get more answers here.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

EmoHobo

It seems to be making them more and more frequently, I'm hoping it's nothing and this whole thing will become pointless once Firefox speaks up on it.

I contacted Firefox via Twitter about it, but no response yet.

MomOfARocker

join:2009-06-07
Canada

I had the same folder ("mozilla-temp-files") in my temp folder after updating to Firefox 18, although the folder was empty. I deleted it at the time and have not seen it since. This was, however, the first time I ever recall seeing it after previous Firefox updates.