kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to chrisretusn

Re: Feds warn PC users to disable Java

I ran a google search for OpenJDK exploit within the past week, and encountered this - »security.stackexchange.com/quest···-icedtea

Java 7 and OpenJDK share a lot of common code, so, as a general rule, security issues in Java 7 also apply to OpenJDK. In that specific case, it seems that the vulnerability was reported in the Debian OpenJDK package, so yes, they are vulnerable. See this question on another stackexchange site. Since Oracle seems to have fixed their JDK, chances are that the same fix will appear in OpenJDK in a few hours or days.

the article goes on to more or less indicate the virtue of browsing with Linux as hardly anyone targets it do to Linux not being used much to browse. Security through obscurity came to mind.

If a lot of code is shared with the open Java and proprietary Java, it'd be tough for me to get warm fuzzies about either product.

Also here - »ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12452828

Looking here: »krebsonsecurity.com/2012/08/j...···o-flaws/

Sounds like Ubuntu "10" could be at risk. NOTE, I did discover 3 viruses, via Clamscan, nestled in a TMP cache. Caused no problems.

--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

Well here is my take on that information from »security.stackexchange.com/quest···-icedtea

There is this statement "Java 7 and OpenJDK share a lot of common code, so, as a general rule, security issues in Java 7 also apply to OpenJDK. In that specific case, it seems that the vulnerability was reported in the Debian OpenJDK package, so yes, they are vulnerable."

Well first there is no specific case sited (it could be assuming VU#625617) and the reference (»askubuntu.com/questions/181884/s···-for-now) to the reported vulnerability in the Debian OpenJDK package refers to the second link in my post VU#636312 dated 27 Aug 2012 which was been patched.

While it is possible that the current vulnerability affects OpenJDK, it is not specifically listed as affected by the vulnerability alert for VU#625617 dated 10 Jan 2013.

VU#625617 has been patched by Oracle and as I have already mentioned. I am not all that concerned about this; and this has nothing to do with my preferred operating system being Linux. I do run Windows and have Java install their as well. I think there is a lot of over reaction to this.

--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

said by chrisretusn:

VU#625617 has been patched by Oracle and as I have already mentioned. I am not all that concerned about this; and this has nothing to do with my preferred operating system being Linux. I do run Windows and have Java install their as well. I think there is a lot of over reaction to this.

That overreaction may be due at least in part to the fact DHS is involved. We've seen a lot of vulnerabilities over the years, some of which went unpatched for years - but I don't recall DHS getting into the act before. The warnings came from software houses or researchers or independent testers. I don't want to minimize a danger, but the skeptic in me wonders if this isn't some sort of test - by DHS.

Federal government sites use java. So wtf?

DownTheShore
Mr. Putin, meet SEAL Team 6
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Perhaps someone at DHS was sick and tired of Oracle never fully patching the thing and decided to use the power available to him or her in their position at DHS to give them a kick in the rear.

-------------------

La Luna, thanks for answering my question.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to goalieskates

said by goalieskates:

That overreaction may be due at least in part to the fact DHS is involved. We've seen a lot of vulnerabilities over the years, some of which went unpatched for years - but I don't recall DHS getting into the act before. The warnings came from software houses or researchers or independent testers. I don't want to minimize a danger, but the skeptic in me wonders if this isn't some sort of test - by DHS.

Federal government sites use java. So wtf?

I think it's nice DHS said something.

I'm still amazed some folks consider this a problem only with proprietary Java code, and conclude identical open source code is somehow invulnerable. This is a demonstration of faith not supported by any possible fact.

It appears both the open and proprietary Java versions should be considered vulnerable until someone demonstrates the open code isn't the same and is not vulnerable. Also waiting for Java proprietary to be patched, assuming the open source code is identical, sort of mitigates some of the claimed virtue of open source. Shouldn't the open source community have fixed this long ago?
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by pandora:

I'm still amazed some folks consider this a problem only with proprietary Java code, and conclude identical open source code is somehow invulnerable. This is a demonstration of faith not supported by any possible fact.

I don't think anyone has said is a problem with only proprietary Java code. No one has said open source is invulnerable. Not sure were you got that from.

In fact the advisory has been updated and OpenJDK and IcedTea are both listed as affected.

Does that change anything as far as I am concerned? No it does not. I am not disabling or removing Java from my machines. When a patch is released for OpenJDK I will apply it.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

1 edit

said by chrisretusn:

I don't think anyone has said is a problem with only proprietary Java code. No one has said open source is invulnerable.

The first post I replied to in this thread, indicated the solution (his solution iirc) was to disable Windows. As if this were a Windows problem. Upon follow up, I was assured the solution was open Java.

It doesn't appear either is a solution for this problem. Windows has earned a reputation for vulnerability on Internet over many years, and Linux a reputation for reliability. Windows has greatly improved it's security, while Linux when used as a desktop or desktop-like system (tablet, very smart phone) is almost always hackable (someone can find a way to get any phone or tablet rooted). Worse most customers are easily hacked by simple social engineering (almost any app will be installed regardless of what it does after installation).

The themes I was fascinated with were; 1) That Windows was the problem (in the case it isn't), and 2) Open source would save users from this hack (apparently not true in this case).

Sorry.
--

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to pandora

Not saying the open code doesn't have certain vulnerabilities. It is fairly unlikely it is the same vulnerabilities though. The open source people have to use different code to achieve their goal, or run a severe risk of being slapped with a nasty lawsuit by Oracle. Same has long applied for things like Linux graphics drivers, too(btw, the open source radeon driver kicks the snot out of proprietary fglrx on my laptop, in terms of OpenGL performance, with no worries that upgrading my X or my kernel will break it. DirectX support is limited but I really don't need it for what I do in Linux.). There has also been no security alerts on the Open Java. With the number of devs that have been working on that project, I am pretty sure somebody has checked this out. It is not Linux perse that would protect against this vulnerability. It is running different code altogether that would. Oracle Linux users would be just as vulnerable, unless of course, they manage to comprehensively sandbox the app in question(Java). I used to run Firefox sandboxed, due to all its vulnerabilities, but found another browser I liked(Chromium) that sandboxes 1 of the biggest security liabilities on its own(Adobe Flash).
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.