Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to dennismurphy

Re: Water softener - dedicate circuit?

said by dennismurphy:

Kinda mind-boggling to think that it was cheaper & easier to pull the wiring, take up a panel slot, etc. than to install a GFCI.... but very true.

A lot of that cost though applied regardless if a GFCI was installed or not.

The panel slot was going to be taken up by one outlet or by a dozen. Same for the wire to that outlet unless it could have been tied in to an existing circuit.

Presuming that the circuit is 20-30 years old (if not more), wire was cheap(er) then. A quick check of historical copper prices show that copper in '88 was about 15% what it is currently. Being "wasteful" wasn't as expensive as it would appear these days.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by cdru:

A lot of that cost though applied regardless if a GFCI was installed or not.

The panel slot was going to be taken up by one outlet or by a dozen. Same for the wire to that outlet unless it could have been tied in to an existing circuit.

Presuming that the circuit is 20-30 years old (if not more), wire was cheap(er) then. A quick check of historical copper prices show that copper in '88 was about 15% what it is currently. Being "wasteful" wasn't as expensive as it would appear these days.

Very true. Given the.. uhm.. resourceful(?) nature of the previous owner, I'm highly suspicious of anything and everything I come across. As an example, the A/C compressor is labeled was "Oven" in the panel box. It looks like when the kitchen was renovated, they reused the circuit for the former electric range (now gas) to supply the compressor.

That reminds me... I need to downsize the breaker for the A/C compressor. Currently a 50a breaker - need to replace it with a 40a. (faceplate MCA 29/MOP 40) Wire is #8 so we're good there. Just something else for the laundry list.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by dennismurphy:

Very true. Given the.. uhm.. resourceful(?) nature of the previous owner, I'm highly suspicious of anything and everything I come across. As an example, the A/C compressor is labeled was "Oven" in the panel box. It looks like when the kitchen was renovated, they reused the circuit for the former electric range (now gas) to supply the compressor.

I'm sure Whizkid, Nunya, et al have never come across a panel that had misidentified or unidentified breakers. I think some of the most anal retentive OCD people have breakers that are mis/un-identified so I wouldn't use that as an example of reasons to be highly suspicious.

I know I have several breakers that are labeled as "lights". I'm never sure which lights they control. And I've also found out that it's not always just the lights that they control too. Thankfully I've never found out the hard way. I probably could better identify them, but that would require time, energy, and a desire not to play electrical roulette.

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by cdru:

I'm sure Whizkid, Nunya, et al have never come across a panel that had misidentified or unidentified breakers. I think some of the most anal retentive OCD people have breakers that are mis/un-identified so I wouldn't use that as an example of reasons to be highly suspicious.

I know I have several breakers that are labeled as "lights". I'm never sure which lights they control. And I've also found out that it's not always just the lights that they control too. Thankfully I've never found out the hard way. I probably could better identify them, but that would require time, energy, and a desire not to play electrical roulette.

Very mild example and by far the least offender (of course mislabeled breakers is a minor offense.) The extension cord (of the zip cord variety) used to wire a ceiling fan through the drop ceiling into an outlet in the next room was a real gem.

Or, the u-turn-to-nowhere-with-a-crossover-between-pipes gas line he installed to supply the grill ...

I found all sorts of goodies when I opened the basement ceiling.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
I remember a house I visited when I was looking at a new house that required two breakers that had to be flipped for a light in the kitchen to go out (yes that's something I check). I preferred the house with the K&T wiring myself, still had the push button switches, but was nearly $500,000.

Is the single outlet you have there grounded? What kind of cable feeds the outlet?

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by sk1939:

Is the single outlet you have there grounded? What kind of cable feeds the outlet?

Yes indeed, it's grounded. Thankfully, everything in this house is NM copper & grounded (was built in '68). The cable is 12/2, so I'm in great shape for extending the circuit ...

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
No reason not to then, although I would personally put the GFCI as the next outlet down stream just so a trip doesn't kill your water supply. Alternatively, you could just extend the circuit and if you have breakers replace it with a GFCI or Arc-Fault breaker.

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by sk1939:

No reason not to then, although I would personally put the GFCI as the next outlet down stream just so a trip doesn't kill your water supply. Alternatively, you could just extend the circuit and if you have breakers replace it with a GFCI or Arc-Fault breaker.

The timer on the water softener has no bearing on water flow; a tripped gfci would just mean the regeneration cycle wouldn't happen if it were scheduled that day. No big deal.

Good stuff - thanks all!! Saves me from dragging cable through the attic.

Softwater

@myvzw.com
said by dennismurphy:

said by sk1939:

The timer on the water softener has no bearing on water flow; a tripped gfci would just mean the regeneration cycle wouldn't happen if it were scheduled that day. No big deal.

Good stuff - thanks all!! Saves me from dragging cable through the attic.

If the GFCI trips while the softener is running a cycle, the timer won't advance until the power is restored. Depending on where in the regen cycle power is lost, the amount of time it takes to notice the tripped GFCI and restore power and your water/sewer rates, quite a bill could rack up. While unlikely to be a problem, it may be worth considering placement of the GFCI downstream of the softener outlet. Just my $0.02

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
That would be against code.